Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#16 Post by jemimah »

The new version is up. I've updated the URL in the first post.

jtouso

eeepc 901 and special keys

#17 Post by jtouso »

Hi,
waiting new revision xorgconfig free errors.
Other question: how can I activate the "silver" keys in my Asus eeepc 901?
The keys fn+ f3 and f4 (bright) works well. The fn+f7-f8-f9, volume, don´t work
Thanks
jtouso

T_Hobbit

#18 Post by T_Hobbit »

Hi. Testing a USB pendrive installation on a AAO110 with SSD...
Seems that lacks something... drivers and different Fn+key function...
Do you want to try a sub-version of your puplet for AAO?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

jemimah

#19 Post by jemimah »

Jtouso, the new version is up. Go ahead and give it a try. I've included the drivers for the hotkeys so they should just work.

jemimah

#20 Post by jemimah »

T_Hobbit, I wouldn't expect puppeee to work very well on the AAO as it's very EEE specific.

I haven't given up on Fluppy, which will be for all netbooks. I will be releasing a pet for the Fluppy window manager very soon. Then I will start on the kernel. Then I will select applications. Then I will release it.

jemimah

#21 Post by jemimah »

If you still have problems with Eees with Elantech touchpads you can download a kernel without Elantech support here:
http://drop.io/vmlinuz_noelantech

Simply rename it to vmlinuz and overwrite the one on your current usb stick or card.

Edit: this has been removed as it is out of date. Let me know if you want a new version.
Last edited by jemimah on Tue 03 Nov 2009, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.

jakfish

#22 Post by jakfish »

Well done, jemimah.

Blazingly fast, under a 30-second cold boot from class 6 sd card.

Touchpad works at last. EEE 900 video specs load without complaint.

Can I assume that my 4.31 puppy save fille won't work with all its tricks (tempestuous's hotkeys, standard bluetooth pets [not yours, but the previous ones], etc.)?

Congratulations,
Jake

jemimah

#23 Post by jemimah »

I am so relieved it worked for somebody!

I would start over with the save file, especially with old acpi stuff in it. This version has new bug fixes that should help it not crash on suspend, and stuff like that.

Would you do me a favor and try flsynclient and see if your touchpad is configurable? Also please let me know if the mouse driver gives you problems. The elantechs need a newer version of the synaptics driver than the standard one in 4.31, but I've been having some odd mouse problems since I installed the new version - like left clicking will stop working once in a while. I need to know if it's just me, or if we should try a different version of the driver.

ad4mm

#24 Post by ad4mm »

Installed the new version and after about a minute I get a message that says warning do not unplug the usb drive and then it goes to the blue default color and I have to do a hard reboot.

Also the tap click not working.

It booted this time though and I liked the feel of it until it crashed.

Thanks

magerlab

#25 Post by magerlab »

tried on eee pc 701
booted ok
xorg started, but then screen flicked and i got mosaic of different colors:) and it hung
i think it's because of setting cpu to performance mode( there was yafbar with a message about this)
is it possible to turn it off by default?
also i suggest to replace seamonkey to newest seamonkey2

jemimah

#26 Post by jemimah »

Try booting with the ac unplugged to see if "performance mode" is killing it.

jemimah

#27 Post by jemimah »

If you have time, first delete /root/Startup/setpower. Then delete /etc/acpi/performance.sh and /etc/acpi/powersave.sh to disable power management completely.

My 701 works fine with the overclocking... I wonder what the difference could be.

magerlab

#28 Post by magerlab »

unfortunately the same happens with only battery pluged....
ok i'll try to remove these file from console before startingX

magerlab

#29 Post by magerlab »

removed all these files and now it works
touchpad works

i woul suggest to remove some unnesessary apps to make sfs even smaller
also i read that you made a skippy clone
is it availble somewhere?

the main dissapointing thing for me is wifi with pppy 4.3.1 on eee pc ( ath5k driver)
it's much slower than on older puppies

ad4mm

#30 Post by ad4mm »

Mine works also after deleting the files setpower, performance.sh, powersave.sh files. Still get the Warning: do not unplug usb drive but it doesn't crash.

I downloaded the new kernel without elantech and the touchpad tap click is now working.

Does wireless work with wpa, it wouldn't connect on my connection and I think I saw somewhere that there is an issue with long wpa keys. mine is 63 characters.
Last edited by ad4mm on Thu 29 Oct 2009, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.

ad4mm

#31 Post by ad4mm »

sorry for double post

jakfish

#32 Post by jakfish »

Installed both flyn and sym pets, but when clicking on flyn in Menu, the program comes up and with this error:

"Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?"

(eee 900)

On the bright side, I very much like your hotkeys with the brightness and volume numeric levels. Your network connect app found and connected me to my unsecured wifi right off.

I'll reserve a fresh sd card for this and continue to test anything you want, but I'm loathe to make a complete switch to this vanilla 4.31 since making my 4.31 puppy save file has taken a lot of my time and can't really be used with this.

Do you plan to release a customized 4.31 built for your 700 (with your groovy bluetooth apps, especially, and your other tricks)?

I would make the switch then and abandon all my previous puppy save files (I have bluetooth working, everything; what I lack is the speed of your kernel and your mods).

Well done,
Jake

jemimah

#33 Post by jemimah »

jakfish, you didn't need to install any pets for flysynclient, I installed it in the sfs, it should be on the menu (I forget which one right now, Desktop or Setup I think). The pets posted in "Addtional software" are an old version of synclient so you probably want to start over with a clean save.

I think, you can just boot up in the old version, uninstall the acpi pets, and then your save file should be ok for puppeee. (You may also have to install a pet file for the new acpi, which I need to update and post once I get some more feedback.) You can make a copy, uninstall bluetooth, see if my pets work better, and if they don't, go back to the old one. That's why puppy rocks!

This version has all the tricks I know of, for both atom and celeron. Although it seems the celeron overclocking is crashing for some people so I'll probably disable it by default and you'll have to turn it on if you want it. I don't think bluetooth will be standard since a lot of Eees don't have it and it takes up some space.

jemimah

#34 Post by jemimah »

magerlab, all the cool window manager stuff I'm working on will be released soon. This is just a release of the kernel and a couple utilities for people like jakfish who are heavily invested in 4.31. Fluppy and Flupeee with be the complete rebuild you and I are both dreaming of. :)

Is there a better ath5k driver somewhere? Point me to it, and I'll install it.

ad4mm, I don't know a whole lot about wpa. Can you change your key to test it? I would think wpa_gui would have fewer problems with wpa than the Network Wizard but I'm not sure. Which network card to you have? I haven't done any testing for the RAlink cards so people will have to tell me if that driver works.

If you use the non-elantech kernel, your touchpad is detected as a logitech wheel-mouse and will work, but you can't change any settings. If you use the elantech kernel, you will have a proper touchpad, and can use the flsynclient utility (located on either the Desktop or Utility menus, I forget which) to adjust it's function, turn on drag-lock and that sort of thing.

jakfish

#35 Post by jakfish »

Okay, I'm still getting the flyn erroe listed aboved even without the installed pets.

I'm taking your advice and playing with my current puppy save. A couple of caveats that I hope you can help me with. Using eee 900/sd card boot (w/ puppy save on card itself):

1) when booting, I get a loo-ong count down on usb section: "Waiting for modules to complete loading 1-2-3-4-5-etc

2) then at the end of the boot, I get this error, but it doesn't prevent puppy loading:

"FATAL ERROR inserting usbhid (/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/initrd/kernel/drivers/hid/usbhid/usbhid.ko): Invalid module format"

Any ideas? With the slow down on the usb section of the boot, it takes all the fun away from the fast kernel.

Jake