Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 25 Nov 2014, 17:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
wine + free softmaker office suite fast/uses low resources
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Patriot

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 06:49    Post_subject:  

Hmmm .....

jakfish,
jakfish wrote:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=73036

It's a legit, free copy of softmaker 2006 for linux in deb (I've registered it through the app's registration link, and softmaker automatically sent me a key; the same deal as ashampoo, et al). ........

Thank you for the link, very much appreciated. Got my registration done too. I've been using softmaker for years ..... Looks like I can drop abiword now ...

Rgds
mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 07:09    Post_subject: softmaker 2006 for linux  

Linux version, albeit the 2006 softmaker office.

But that is interesting. I'll download it and give it a try. Might be the best solution for Puppy if printing won't work properly with Textmaker 2008.

I've also been experimenting with the windows version of Foxit pdf reader running over wine, because the Linux version of that needs Xorg 24 bit colour and my old laptop uses 16bit colour only. The windows version of Foxit runs over wine at either 16bit or 24bit colour.

Having said that, I've found something much better, in fact, the best pdf reader I've ever used on Linux so far (albeit via wine since it is a MS windows program): PDF-Xchange. It is GREAT! Comes as a portable app for USB or as an installable. I've started a new thread about it here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=356107#356107

jakfish

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 07:17    Post_subject:  

Patriot--

Re: softmaker for linux 2006--have you figured out any way to increase size of menubars, menu fonts, etc.?

Jake
chrome307

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 07:21    Post_subject:  

Hi there, thanks for all the info provided thus far on how to get this app working with Puppy.

What I would like to know is how I can 'associate' my *.doc files with Textmaker.

eg

I right click on the *.doc file and then select 'Set Run Action' and then I am offered the choice to drag and drop an application into the dialog box or I can enter a shell command.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
chrome307

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 07:26    Post_subject:  

jakfish wrote:
Patriot--

Re: softmaker for linux 2006--have you figured out any way to increase size of menubars, menu fonts, etc.?

Jake

I'm using TextMaker 2008 with the service pack ( Rev 505 ), in this build you can change the icons etc by

Tools - Options - Appearance - then tick use large icons ( requires restart ).

If anyone wants the service pack it can be found here:

Service Pack for SoftMaker Office 2008

http://www.softmaker.net/down/ofw505.exe

All you need to do to upgrade is simply point in the direction of your Office 2008 directory. Gives the option to backup your files too.
jakfish

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 07:59    Post_subject:  

Thanks for the tip about the large icons. Can I assume that menu font, etc. remain fixed?

Jake
chrome307

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 08:06    Post_subject:  

I think so, not sure how to change the size of the menu fonts.
jakfish

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 08:18    Post_subject:  

Running SM 2008 through wine (as done in the beginning of the thread) is far more flexible, visual-wise, because wine is so flexible. Just don't print Smile

Jake
mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 08:22    Post_subject: TextMaker viewer 2009 reads docx  

@jakfish

I also noted with interest the following linked from the Linux softmaker office 2006 link you provided:

http://www.officeviewers.com/

It's a link to TextMaker viewer 2009. The interesting thing about that is that it views docx format files too (presumably SoftMaker Office 2009 will do that too when it comes out...).

I rather like using the versions of these products over wine (rather than native Linux), particularly if they run as portable apps, because that way I can carry them to windows machines in, for example, my local library too (as well as having Puppy Linux on the same usb stick for those occasions I can boot into it).

I'm surprised that Textmaker 2008 isn't printing properly for you (just don't have a printer to check that myself) since you say the other softmaker 2008 apps print okay. Just wondered if your downloads were okay.

Here are the md5sums for the install files I downloaded, in case you want to check that:

# md5sum ashampoo_office2008_310_fm.exe
d1dad0069dcb96b56848364c51d43f0f

# md5sum ofw505.exe
d6d7964ce5969dbac0e8bcd41015b793

jakfish

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 08:30    Post_subject:  

Hi, mcewanw--

Aren't you having the same problem printing, albeit CUPS-PDF? If I'm not mistaken, aren't you freezing as well?

Since I can print via current 2008 install in XP, and intermittently (though rarely) in puppy/wine/TM, it'd be strange if it were a bad download, though stranger things have happened Smile

Jake
jakfish

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 08:50    Post_subject:  

Thanks for posting those md5sum's--I checked mine and mine are the same as yours.

Jake
mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 10:15    Post_subject: don't have a printer to try that  

jakfish wrote:
Hi, mcewanw--

Aren't you having the same problem printing, albeit CUPS-PDF? If I'm not mistaken, aren't you freezing as well?

No, as I've mentioned above somewhere, I don't currently have any printer so I couldn't test that part of the functionality.

What I did have trouble with was exporting to pdf, but that was what I solved by telling wine (via winecfg) to use the native windows version of t2embed.dll instead of any wine built-in one.

As far as printing goes, I have tried "printing" out to a file (there is a checkbox in the print dialog for that) and that seemed to work fine for me. Perhaps you could try that on your system. Perhaps that file version of the print could subsequently be sent on to the printer itself as a workaround to the print problem? (perhaps piped through some other program?)

By the way, I finally managed to download the Linux version of Softmaker Office 2006 and registered it (via my slow dialup modem!). Good to have, though I do agree that the fonts are terrible in that version; I much prefer the windows versions running over wine.

jakfish

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 10:34    Post_subject:  

I had forgotten to include results of print-to-file, which works for me as well in SM 2008/wine. Rather than the hassle of a print-to-file, another way would be to work on SM 2008/wine, but print out on SM 2006/linux. Or print out on MS Word 97.

Yes, it's a bummer that SM/linux menu bars, etc. are so hard-wired. Funny, since that goes against the inherent flexibility of linux.

Jake
mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 12:54    Post_subject:  

Something very odd going on for me when it comes to the print function of Textmaker 2008. Print to file did work, but it isn't now! Yet export to pdf works everytime. I'm pretty sure if print to file is consistently working so should CUPS printing (though I could be wrong about that). I need to find out when and when not print to file works - for a moment I thought it was something to do with ownership or permissions, but I can't fathom what is going on at all right now. I fired up Abiword and tried out all the combinations: since I don't have an actual printer it successfully prints to different file types (PS and PDF). So why not Textmaker 2008 I ponder...
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct 2009, 17:18    Post_subject:  

Thanks for some fun for a rainy day. I was able to get a free full copy of Ashampoo Office 2008 for Windows with this link from early in the thread and also upgraded to SP505.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/07/11/ashampoo-office-2008-softmaker-office-alternative-3-1-free-activation-serial-key-number/

I was also able to get a free full copy of Softmaker Office 2006 for Linux through this link from earlier in the thread. One should note that the url where the software ultimately resides is named "pirateladds" but on the other hand, one *is* registering the software.
Quote:
It's a legit, free copy of softmaker 2006 for linux in deb (I've registered it through the app's registration link, and softmaker automatically sent me a key; the same deal as ashampoo, et al). I used deb-to-pet, then pet-to-sfs. THAT version prints fine, though it's 2006 vs. ashampoo's 2008, and 2008 has Presentations, which 2006 lacks.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=73036

I have dealt with Ashampo before and the marketing is very creative. I find it amusing. They give away a freebie and/or a free 30 day trial, and then they email you about registering or upgrading with the price going down with each email. I think I bought their Burning Studio for 7.99. I remember I could have bought Office for 4.99 but I didn't need it. I remember wondering where they got their software.

Office 2008 seems to run fine in wine, after copying the program folder from Windows. It is running as win98 for what that might be worth, though it also ran as XP. It is not especially light though, because of wine, TextMaker is 22 processes and about 20MB. OpenOffice Writer, for comparison, is 6 processes and 17MB. Additionally 2008 in wine does not open any faster than OpenOffice--2 years ago that would have been hard to believe, but OpenOffice has gotten a lot faster (I am using Ubuntu go-openoffice in Puppy 4.3.2). I have not tried to do any printing which I can see is a problematical.

Textmaker 2006 for Linux also is running nicely. It is very light, only 2 processes and about 6MB. For comparison, AbiWord is 1 process and about 5MB. I am sorry to say that AbiWord has never worked for me. Every time I try to use it, it does something so stupid that I give up; for instance, last time i tried, I saved an html document from AbiWord and then AbiWord would not open the very document it had saved, saying it was corrupt! I am hoping that maybe Softmaker does the same kind of marketing as Ashampoo and they will send me emails lowering the price for Office 2008 to something reasonable, given that AbiWord and OpenOffice are both free. Even if all I can get is 2006 for Linux, that is a competitor to AbiWord, imho; I would just have to see how it held up under use
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum