Finite Element Analysis in Puppy

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
vtpup

Finite Element Analysis in Puppy

#1 Post by vtpup »

Not your everyday use for Puppy Linux, but it is possible to run Salome Meca 2009 on Puppy.

It's taken me awhile to get it going, but I think I've got it working properly. I've created some geometry, meshed it, and have finally managed to get the ASTK component going as well (it's a client server app and operating with a root account threw it some curveballs).

This is a monster app. Puppyites will probably laugh me off the forum when I mention that the expanded size of this program installation is 1.8 Gigabytes!! Yes, folks I've got this little hard drive choker running on /mnt/home in frugals in both 4.1.2 and dpup.

Funny to think of an OS with full productivity apps onboard that's only 5% the size of a program. But there are some very good reasons to use Puppy for this. Speed and ram resources to name 2 very important ones. I don't have a dual proc 64 bit machine with 8 gigs of memory, so this pent 4 with 1 gig will have to do. And it does.

Salome Meca is a monster. But it can do some very sophisticated things, so I'm forging ahead through the absolute most difficult user interfaces I've ever seen to try to get to the cheese at the end of this maze. It doesn't help that much of the most important user docs. are in French, unless of course you are lucky enough to be a French engineer. Wish I was.

Probably not of interest to most folks, But those who have a need for industrial strength FEA will probably understand why even bother.

On the other hand, If your FEA needs are more modest, I can also recommend LISA on Wine. It's tiny by comparison, and a heck of a lot easier to use.

I'll let you know how far I get.
Attachments
SalomeMeca.png
Meshing Component of Salome Meca on dpup
(48.11 KiB) Downloaded 1073 times

Dingo

#2 Post by Dingo »

I have some friend that are physicians, Is SalomeMeca designed for projecting linear/circular cavities of particles accelerators?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

vtpup

#3 Post by vtpup »

Dingo wrote:I have some friend that are physicians, Is SalomeMeca designed for projecting linear/circular cavities of particles accelerators?
physicists do you mean dingo?

I don't know the answer -- do they use FEA for their work? If so it may be possible. The core of Salome Meca is Code Aster. Have them Google it to see if it is applicable. It's the main number cruncher, but it is fed by helper apps, and they can take many forms. There are many helper apps besides the core that generate the meshes before processing in Code Aster. Salome Meca includes some, but certainly not all

I downloaded Salome Meca from the CAELinux website. If you go to the wiki there and check out the "contributor pages," you'll see the range of calculations performed by users -- though far from all-inclusive.

http://www.caelinux.org/wiki/index.php/Contrib:Main

Puppy for advanced particle research, heh, what a concept!

If they want to set it up on Puppy, let me know and I'll try to give a rundown of all I had to do.

If a better packager than me wanted to work on the Salome Meca package, I'm absolutely positive it could be cut WAY down in size. It is bundled with, among other things Python, QT3, etc already onboard. It's supposed to run standalone, though it required a lot of fiddling by me.