Problem with powering off the system

Booting, installing, newbie
spain

Problem with powering off the system

#1 Post by spain »

I am running puppy 430 on an Acer extensa laptop with 2 Gb of ram.

I can't shutdown puppy from the jwm. None of the options respond. This is not the first time that it happens. It seems that this problem happens after using the option "exit to prompt". In some occasions I can go back to jwn from the promp after running "xwin", other times, running xorgwizard solve the problem but other time do not.

Right now, I can not shutdown from jwn. Calling an Xtern and poweroff from there works, but it will fail the second time most of the time. In one occasion I typed "rebooth" from an Xterm and the whole system freezed. Then nothing respond, not even Contriol-Alt-delete.

I have had to poweroff a couple of time the hard way. Disconnecting the battery. When I boot back it doesn't runs "fsck" or ask to do that. I'm under the impression that thing are pretty messy right now. Even seamonkey is not responding, puppy browser does.

Any suggestion to fix the problem

paulh177

#2 Post by paulh177 »

ah that's very interesting mine has started doing exactly the same ... I think after updating to 431.
If I select shutdown or reboot, nothing happens ... but if I then do a ctrl-alt-backspace to shut down X, then the system will shutdown or reboot.

this is on acer aspire one

runtt21

#3 Post by runtt21 »

look at the files wmpoweroff and wmreboot in /usr/bin find the lines near the bottom of the files that have # killall x # something -something and # sleep 1 remove the # from killall x But not the stuff after that .And remove the # from sleep 1 . Save the file and try that . You will also need to do that for wmexit .

spain

wm problem fixed by editing files

#4 Post by spain »

Yes, By following your recommendations the problem with the window manager was fixed.
There was another line that kill all process, # exec killall -9 x, that I leaved it with the comment,(#), I thought there was no need to be so radical and try your recommendations first. If by any change the problem persist I will uncomment that line too.

Thanks for your help.

designengineer

not powering off - puppy 4.3.1

#5 Post by designengineer »

I tried the suggestions, and no luck. Here is what my unedited wmexit and wmpoweroff files look like:

wmexit file:

#w003
CURRENTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
kill -9 `pidof $CURRENTWM`

##exec killall $PREVIOUSWM
##exec killall X
#killall X #default is SIGTERM.
#sleep 1
#exec killall -9 X #make sure X is killed.

wmpoweroff file:

#w003
CURRENTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
kill -9 `pidof $CURRENTWM`

#killall X #default is SIGTERM.
#sleep 1 #v1.0.7
#exec killall -9 X #v1.0.7 make sure X is killed.

#after exit from X, there is a return to /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin,
#which reads /tmp/wmexitmode.txt.

I must be misunderstanding what to delete. Could someone please help?