Broken CUPS in Fire Hydrant-Inferno?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
mrjazzper

Broken CUPS in Fire Hydrant-Inferno?

#1 Post by mrjazzper »

Dear ttuuxxx! Or someone of Fire Hydrant live cd users!

I am a fun of Linux live CD-s, and one of my favorite the Fire Hydrant biggest version, a 447 MB Inferno. Now I ask help about the printer setup.

My question: - why can't I connect the printer setup (and even the Firefox itself) to http://localhost:631?

The error goes like this:

The printer wizard starts normally asking if we want to add a new printer.
Answer ,,yes

Patriot

Re: Broken CUPS in Fire Hydrant-Inferno?

#2 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Whenever you get the "unable to connect to local host 631 " error message, open a terminal and do this:

# /etc/init.d/cups start

Then refresh the browser page to see if it works. Let's see how this goes .....

Rgds

mrjazzper

#3 Post by mrjazzper »

Patriot wrote: Whenever you get the "unable to connect to local host 631 " error message, open a terminal and do this:

(# /etc/init.d/cups start
Hi Patriot!

1./ Sorry to tell, but the suggested command don't work.
This is the reaction of this command:

# /etc/init.d/cups start
bash: /etc/init.d/cups: No such file or directory

2./ But somebody wrote this in a forum letter , at the printer (bug, complain) section:
-puppy 300 is buggy about printing. Ok, so let us say: the Inferno ( Fire Hydrant) based on puppy 300 just inherited this without changing.

The question is now only this:
-is it possible to repair this bug easily with command lines or not?
-or can we have other easy solution at all?

Bugs can live forever, but we are not. So Patriot: I thanks for your advice and care.

Patriot

#4 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Frankly, I have no idea what's the layout structure in Fire Hydrant ... Sorry, I don't intend to download it either ... but you may want to experiment (yes, become a self help test subject). Perhaps re-installing CUPS can help from here:

1. CUPS-1.1.23 from the official puppy repository
2. CUPS 1.2.11.
3. CUPS upgrades from here ... but I've no idea what will happen. It could blow up your house or it may just sit there doing nothing or printing may just work like magic .....

Rgds

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

My thanks [kind thoughts] to you Patriot. :D

I couldn't get CUPS to work on my BoxPup [v4.1.3] conventional installation to a partition on my internal HDD.

Installed the latest CUPS 1.3.11 [and HPLIP 3.9.2] from the upgrade page, and CUPS worked just like in 4.2.1-rc3...
And my HP_Deskjet _840c is now printing.

mrjazzper

Broken Cups in Fire Hydrant Inferno?

#6 Post by mrjazzper »

Patriot wrote:

Perhaps re-installing CUPS can help from here:

1. CUPS-1.1.23 from the official puppy repository
2. CUPS 1.2.11.
3. CUPS upgrades from here

[/quote]

Hi Patriot!

1./ Problem - the print setup of Fire Hydrant live DVD - is partly solved.

Even I can't print just now, but hope I am getting closer to it. To figure out more, I will need time and trial.

2. / Result: the Inferno, Fire Hydrant live DVD now can have internet connection to CUPS interface!

So this was the beginning and the surface of the problem. Now this part – the internet connection to CUPS- seems to be resolved. I started to read your lot of valuable letters about Linux printing. You have told somewhere, that the CUPS interface- as a kind of center – just offers it's service, or this service can work on local computers if all the layers and details of Linux-print requirements is correct, independently from each-other.

This is why having connection with CUPS interface do not necessarily result a proper printer setup at all. (As You told)

Though this is the case with my (live DVD) Fire Hydrant Inferno setup for printer. As I am not a Linux expert, I just suspect where the problem is coming from.

3. / USB printer wanted!
I conscious to use Linux live CD (DVD) as a perfect, indestructible, secured anf fast little OS already proper for daily use. In need of printing - as a consequence -I have to look after only USB printers offered in CUPS updates. Just let you and other people know it- most of the CUPS update do not offer choice for USB printer at all! ( At least not in case of HP)

As I remember, only the

CUPS-1.1.23 from the official puppy repository can offer this.

I have HP LaserJet 1010, but I am not sure that the lock of USB Printer in updated CUPS menus is something to be HP specific, but rather can be a general problem of CUPS updates also.

If it is so, all the people are looking for USB printer setup (trough CUPS) haven’t too much choice and have to know this important fact.

4. / I suspect printer setup error because I ,,hang on

Patriot

#7 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

mrjazzper

The hp1010 requires a firmware download before it will print anything ... Both will be handled by either one below :

1. hplip pet package from here ... You also need to download the hp plugins too ...
-or-
2. foo2zjs pet package from here ... All-in-one single click...

I suggest that you make your tests using a small 64MB/128MB savefile (no need for a hdd install) ... Sorry, I couldn't be more specific with your inferno setup ... I have a puppy301 somewhere but couldn't get to it right now ...

Rgds

mrjazzper

Broken connection to CUPS- resolved

#8 Post by mrjazzper »

Printing Problem Solved in Inferno, Fire Hydrant

A step-by step script for dummies and the rest of all.

What do you have to know setting up printers in Inferno Fire Hydrant?

When you try start the printer wizard of Fire Hydrant, Inferno the Internet connection will broken. This is a simple bug and it’s nature nearly is opened and known today. - thanks for Patriot of our forum member. Most possibly the error happens just because the CUPS pet packages are not updated in this distros. Or it can be also: the pet package of CUPS interface is not installed either or it is not properly installed. Whatever the bug is the solution is to reinstall an updated pet package of CUPS.

Attention:
Without a proper update of CUPS pet package the printer wizard will fail to start.. As a consequence: this will result a special, broken internet connection to localhost 631 . It makes a false sense about the point of error, believing that a CUPS service is wrong or down. Also you simply can believe- there is something wrong with your internet connection to CUPS localhost 631.

The real reason of this symptom:
Such a system – mentioned above - simply do not have the necessary conditions to interact with CUPS interface.

The very first step to do - before starting the printer wizard – install updated CUP pet package
Unfortunately this is not mentioned in help files of your printer wizard at all! This untold information absolutely can mislead many of us from beginners to experts.. Why? Because it makes you believe the only thing you have to do is only to follow the orders of your setup wizard.

Where you can start installing the Pet packages of CUPS?

- A. / Start from your desktop and open your packet manager
1./ At the desktop you have a ,, Packages