boot puppy from USB without mouse & keyboard

Booting, installing, newbie

boot puppy from USB without mouse & keyboard

#1 Post by 101 »

hello,

how can i configure puppy to boot without mouse & keyboard. I need a usb stick bootable linux to copy automatic per sh-script some data to an ntfs formated disc. Is this project practicable with puppy?

WB7ODYFred

#2 Post by WB7ODYFred »

Yes, that seems workable, as long as the BIOS does not complain and hangup waiting for a keyboard to be plugged in. I know that puppy will boot without a mouse being plugged in.

Look at /etc/init.d
and /etc/rc2.d directories and place your shell script somewhere in the boot up chain. Then your shell script will execute during boot up and copy data to the NTFS drive.

You also might set up a "cron" job to test for data availability every hour ( or some time period you choose) and copy the data to the NTFS disk for you.

WB7ODYFred

ps. I know some keywords, but I don't know the details. You will have to spend some time reading about Linux Like the Gentoo Linux website or the Linux from Scratch website and Googling "cron job tutorial" to make your idea happen.

Good Luck and smooth sailing.

#3 Post by 101 »

Thanks for your quick support. But when i start puppy on my device, puppy ask (in some gray windows) for mouse, keyboard and display resolution. so i must du some keyboard inputs to boot puppy. how can i configure puppy to start without these inputs?