NOP 431

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Gill_Baits

Re: Samba handling

#61 Post by Gill_Baits »

!
Last edited by Gill_Baits on Sat 05 Dec 2009, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.

deepsea

WPA2-PSK

#62 Post by deepsea »

Hi gray

Good job again :wink: Thanks

I have an issue with the 4.3.1 r.1 NOP

The WPA2 key on my laptop will not be recognized.
This problem I had since puppy 4.x versions anymore.
Even in the official version 4.3.1.1 of Barry Kauler i have no problems.

Have you any suggestions or ideas for me to solve the issue ?.

JMX

Minor issues

#63 Post by JMX »

gray,

After a few days of using NOP431r1, only three minor issues:

a) After running Pfind and left clicking on a highlighted text file, nothing happens. (But "Open as text" in Pfind's dropdown menu works fine.)

b) After running Pfind and highlighting a file, then "Show location" in the dropdown menu does nothing. (It does not open the parent folder).

c) I cannot get past the password prompt in pnethood for access to public shares (as reported earlier).

I think the above expected pfind functionality was introduced in the later Pup 4.x series (works fine in 4.3.1 with Rox) but for some reason there is not here a proper invocation of the system file associations or hand off to the Thunar file manager.

I learned that the integrated Mousepad text editor is based upon the Leafpad text editor. So I installed the latest Leafpad pet found on the forum and simply renamed the leafpad executable to mousepad. (Well....my file associations remain intact and the new "mousepad" works perfectly.)

CRF

#64 Post by CRF »

Dougal's Pupremaster doesn't seem to be working properly on NOP431, at least the way I've used it in the past. Is there an issue with it?

Also, does anyone know how I can get my wireless working with NOP431? It worked flawlessly and right out of the box with NOP413. My wireless uses the WL module, at least it did in NOP413.

timremy

sd drive

#65 Post by timremy »

hello

i am getting a 2 gig sd micro drive. can i install nop 431 r1 to the sd drive using

a external cd drive?

i like to ask before i try, because it takes to long to correct my mess ups.

timremy

timremy

sd drive

#66 Post by timremy »

hello

thought i would give it a try. went perfect for nop 413 r1.

just use mbr.bin.

timremy

Gill_Baits

#67 Post by Gill_Baits »

found that xlock screen locking don't work, seems that is a problem mentioned here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 202d616f29 deleting " .xlockrc " fixed it for me

DaveS

#68 Post by DaveS »

Hi Gray. Using this Puppy in its revision 1 form it is absolutely great thanks. Installed OpenOffice (sfs) and Firefox, no problem. Using the ttcorefont pack Opera displays beautifully though so may switch.
Thanks again..............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

russoodle

Another mirror..

#69 Post by russoodle »

Gray - another mirror for NOP, thank you :)

User: puppy
Pawsword: linux

Edited the pawsword, which used to be 'linuxNOP431' because, at the time, the server wouldn't accept such a paltry and insecure pawsword as 'linux' :wink:
Last edited by russoodle on Mon 06 Dec 2010, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

JMX

#70 Post by JMX »

gray,

I got Pnethood to mount the public shares on the network.

I simply installed the pnethood-0.65.pet (not the pnethood-0.65-utf8.pet).

There is a utf8 call in the original associated func_mount script (line 28 ) that causes the abort. This abort does not occur in the parent 4.3.1 so I have no idea why it aborts in Xfce/Thunar.

Anyhow, I can now faithfully mount the public shares by entering any username.

fsabatino

Re: Another mirror..

#71 Post by fsabatino »

russoodle wrote:Gray - another mirror for NOP, thank you :)

User: puppy
Password: linuxNOP431
Hey Russoodle, thanks for posting this mirror. Whatsmore, thanks to you and posting this mirror is how I got NOP431 running after all. The original mirror in post #1 DID NOT WORK. Yes... checksum performed

CatDude... you're "adjustments" to the menu.lst were added to mine and I suppose also assisted.

Cause now, it's freaking working (yes... I am pissed off but finally relieved also).

DaveS

#72 Post by DaveS »

Can confirm the pfind bugs
My guess is that when using 'show location', the Pfind script is looking for Rox, but so far have been unable to find the call.
Last edited by DaveS on Wed 18 Nov 2009, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

russoodle

#73 Post by russoodle »

@ fsabatino: you're welcome, i'm glad you have it working now :)

As for CatDude....well, he seems to hold the answers to quite a few questions in his paws....a handy and reliable resource, for sure!
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Gill_Baits

#74 Post by Gill_Baits »

JMX wrote:gray,

I got Pnethood to mount the public shares on the network.

I simply installed the pnethood-0.65.pet (not the pnethood-0.65-utf8.pet).

There is a utf8 call in the original associated func_mount script (line 28 ) that causes the abort. This abort does not occur in the parent 4.3.1 so I have no idea why it aborts in Xfce/Thunar.

Anyhow, I can now faithfully mount the public shares by entering any username.

I tried the pnethood-0.65.pet also but found no difference, it is also the same with Barry's version 4.3.1, Pnethood just don't work as it should , I'm only able to connect to one NAS unit it won't open the shares on the other NAS and XP share that I have on another pc , I was wondering if anyone had tried it build on another kernel other than 2.6.30.5
EDIT .... found that I could access XP share if something was typed into the user name, anything seems to do the job, also if I made the nas a public share , strange that it won't accept a login user name and password though

Henry

Xfburn-0.4.1 doesn't show/burn hidden files (bug)

#75 Post by Henry »

This has been a problem for some time in Nop 413 and now 431. I like to make a backup cd/dvd occasionally including .opera, which is hidden although outside pup_save, for example.
---------------------------------------------
In the 413 discussion I wrote but received no reply:

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:16 pm Post subject: Xfburn - show hidden files doesn't?
I've been using Xfburn but even though I have the box ticked for "show hidden files," it does neither show nor burn them. Comments, please?
----------------------------------------------
I note this:
http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce/ ... 25664.html

Detailed changes:
- Internal updates in preparation for better handling of disc detection
- Handle drag and drop of filenames with spaces from thunar
(closes #4992)
- Insert dragged file dropped on top of another file instead of
crashing (closes #5299)
- Properly detect the available space on an audio CD (closes #5302)
- Track ownership of tracks in compositions correctly (closes #5303)
- Resample audio files with gstreamer if necessary (closes #5304)
- Show symbolic links in the file browser (closes #5430)
- Implement the "show hidden files" option (closes #5500)

xfburn 0.4.2 is now available for download as
xfburn-0.4.2.tar.bz2
SHA1 checksum: dbc1731b8c690b0b29d3567b8e1cd93646b0c7e7
MD5 checksum: 67533208e2f487bdf6c779cfedae809d

http://www.xfce.org/archive/src/apps/xf ... 2.tar.bz2

Thanks,
Henry

Henry

#76 Post by Henry »

Hello again re xfburn -

Here
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/xfburn

I obtained xfburn_0.4.2-1_i386.deb
which I undebbed successfully but could not get it to run.

@gray: Where are you when I need you? :-)

Henry

Henry

#77 Post by Henry »

You may wonder why I care about getting xfburn to work right. (No-notPburn!) It's all part of a bigger picture. I actually use puppy as my working business computer. Nop is the best base for this, and mine is highly adapted, something I need to stick with. I am a user - not a coder. I do use Nop everyday for "everything" including writing, publishing, scanning, ocr, photo editing, ftp,gnupg, Thunderbird, website work, Wine and VirtualBox with Win2k. For a more complete illustrated description see
http://www.henrystrobel.com/linux.htm

I 'm using Nop 4.1.3r1, but have been looking at Nop 4.3.1r1. My first question when 431 emerged was naturally,"Could I upgrade to it?" Again there was no answer to my question, perhaps considered to be self evident - yes, different kernels, etc. But . . .

Just wanted to express this perspective. I see Puppy, Nop at least, as a practical, complete, computing solution, not just amusement for geeks ;-) Thanks for listening,
Henry

gray

Xfburn

#78 Post by gray »

Henry, the debian packages require HAL to be installed to work. You can try the attached pet that I compiled (updated).
Last edited by gray on Sat 21 Nov 2009, 06:18, edited 2 times in total.

Henry

#79 Post by Henry »

Thank you, gray,

The new pet is not behaving. You did this for Nop 4.1.3r1, which I said I was using? (Although I had looked into 4.3.1r1, enough at least to see you were still using Xfburn-0.4.1)

Anyway, I installed it into 4.1.3r1 and it won't run. It notes libgio-2.0.so.0 is missing.
Xfburn in the terminal confirms this.
I found and installed libgio. . .
Now terminal asks for libselinux.so.1.
I found and installed it.
Now terminal asks for g_dgettext, at which point I decided this wasn't going well :-)

Henry

gray

xfburn updated

#80 Post by gray »

Henry, I have recompiled xfburn (not in 431 this time) and it works much better for me. Uninstall the last pet, re-download and re-install the updated pet above and try that.