NOP 431

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rokytnji

Burned And Booted on Panasonic CF-48

#151 Post by rokytnji »

Downloaded, Md5sum ISO, burned a cd in Gnomebaker in AntiX rc3. Rebooted. Found my
DESCRIPTION: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 4223 KERNEL MODULE: ipw2200
and connected wireless just fine. Lot of nice tools in the Menu :D .

Next step is to install into new secondary Hardrive (cost: $3.00) in Motorcycle shop Desktop. Uses a Raylink Wireless PCI Card,

Nice OS Gray. Image

rokytnji

Shop Computer

#152 Post by rokytnji »

Install was Painless Wireless
DESCRIPTION: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
VENDOR: 1814 DEVICE: 0301 KERNEL MODULE: rt61pci
connected up just fine.

This is on a older IBM M41 Desktop with 2, 40 gig IDE HDs.
sda1 is Windows XP dualboot with AntiX
sdb1 is Nop on 5 gig with the rest of the drive formatted as Fat32 label Data for storage.

Opera 10.10 is cool by me :) . Hulu/Youtube working out of the box.
Java is easier to install in Opera 10.10 than in Firefox 3.6 or IceApe, (though I have done this).

Love the terminal.

wizzerd02

trouble with pdvdrsab in nop431?

#153 Post by wizzerd02 »

Well, I tried to rip shrink author all in one step using pdvdrsab in nop 431.
This resulted in a file too big for dvd. So I ripped and used vamps from command line and this worked fine. Then I tried pdvdrsab to author and again this worked fine. So I tried to burn the resulting directory with pdvdrsab and nothing happens. the window just disappears. Is there a log somewhere?

So is anyone else having trouble with pdvdrsab in NOP 431?

rokytnji

#154 Post by rokytnji »

Is there a log somewhere?
You didn't see anything in /var/log?

So is anyone else having trouble with pdvdrsab in NOP 431?
Sorry, No DVD burner where I have Nop installed. Just CDRW/DVDROM.

wizzerd02

#155 Post by wizzerd02 »

no nothing in /var/log

when i try to burn something does flash up on the screen for about a nanosecond and dissappears so I don't know what it says

steve_s

#156 Post by steve_s »

Gray: wow! Great job! 8)

adXok

#157 Post by adXok »

OK, I love Puppy NOP 431 but I have a big problem.

1. The File manager seems to not recognize Cyrillic named files. I cannot even rename a file to put cyrillic letters on its name. It says that:

Invalid byte sequence in conversion input.

which is rediculous!!! Common guys that is a BIG minus here!

2. I cannot understand how to make an icon of a program (like Skype) on my desktop
(I make a shortcut but the icon is a gear like icon... and I cannot change that icon to something more candy and obvious)

3. How to FIX all these issues?
Last edited by adXok on Mon 19 Apr 2010, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

adXok

#158 Post by adXok »

Seems like the problem is with 'Thunar' (File Manager)

How can I uninstall it and unistall the default audio (Xfmedia) and video (Xine) players?
Oh, that is so irritating. How can I uninstall puppy default programs?!?

Thank you in advance!

steve_s

#159 Post by steve_s »

adXok wrote:Seems like the problem is with 'Thunar' (File Manager)

How can I uninstall it and unistall the default audio (Xfmedia) and video (Xine) players?
Oh, that is so irritating. How can I uninstall puppy default programs?!?

Thank you in advance!
This is not a Puppy default, but a NOP default...hopefully Gray can give some input as to how to change the defaults for NOP.

Do you need to remove the media player or just add something else? You can always ad like gmplayer then right click the options for that program and have it call the gmplayer rather than xine.

Now, as far as putting something on the desktop, that's an XFCE deal. The easiest way is to go to where the application desktop files are (I think /usr/share/applications/) and drag the program you want from there onto the desktop. Or make your own desktop file emulating one of those and drag it onto the desktop from there.

(hope that helps...i'm in Windows land right now or I'd give specifics).

adXok

#160 Post by adXok »

Hm if it wasn't that lack with cyrillic support in Thunar and the awful media players I would stick with NOP. It is a great derivative because of the XFCE.

If you know some other Puppy derivative with XFCE, please let me know. And of course I would like stick to the concept: one app for a task ;)

steve_s

#161 Post by steve_s »

adXok wrote:Hm if it wasn't that lack with cyrillic support in Thunar and the awful media players I would stick with NOP. It is a great derivative because of the XFCE.

If you know some other Puppy derivative with XFCE, please let me know. And of course I would like stick to the concept: one app for a task ;)
It seems to be a keyboard/xorg layout issue; I searched around.

This thread was the most useful I found so far, in the Linux forums.

And on the XFCE forums this person is talking about setting local, so that may be something to look into as well.

Remember, we are dealing with XFCE first on your issue, then with Puppy as an underlying cause, or at least it seems that way.

Please, please: if you get the exact configuration POST BACK as there almost for sure will be someone else that is trying to get this going as well and it could be a great help to them, thus the cycle of the Puppy forum. 8)

adXok

#162 Post by adXok »

Ok. So I started a Terminal and wrote: locale (and hit Enter). Here is what came up:

Code: Select all

LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE=en_US
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=
I started the locale charmap command in Terminal and it returned that my current charmap is: ISO-8859-1
So now I suppose from what I read here: http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/53781
that I must edit the LC_MESSAGES="xx_xx" considering that first two xx are the language code and the second xx are the country code or something?!
So in my case for bulgarian it should be: bg_BG

Only if I could be able to find where is that 'locale' file in the disrectories?!?!?
I cannot find that .cshrc file also... Hm-m...
I'll try that:

LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE=en_US
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
                                                             LC_MESSAGES="bg_BG"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=

steve_s

#163 Post by steve_s »

In standard Puppy (not sure about NOP), you can type in terminal "pfind" without the quotes and it will run pfind. Then just use * for any wild card on the search...

I usually cd to / then run

find -name '*.cshrc' 
or whatever I'm looking for...

adXok

#164 Post by adXok »

In search of . cscrh either with Pfind I get:

No files found!

or with Terminal find -name '*.cshrc' I get:
(nothing)

steve_s

#165 Post by steve_s »

adXok wrote:In search of . cscrh either with Pfind I get:

No files found!

or with Terminal find -name '*.cshrc' I get:
(nothing)
I'll try to check mine tonight, adXok.

Gray: do you know how to modify the locales? Know where the .cscrh file is?

adXok

#166 Post by adXok »

With Barry's Original Puppy I seem to not have these problems with the Cyrillic letters (fonts aren't any problem at all)... strange! Or maybe not so strange. :D

I just got one issue with Cyrillic letters with Geany text editor in barry's Original Puppy:
the name of the file (in Cyrillic) doesn't show up properly on the Geany's window panel and on the Tab of the same file also.

Other than that Cyrillic is properly shown and treated when browsing, naming a file, copy/paste to locations and so on.

-----------------

Seems the problem is with XFCE in NOP Pyppy and with a particular program like in Geany and maybe others. I suppose the issues could be easy fixed. At least the languages' characters must always be supported.

------------------

And onother question! I have installed Skype but I cannot make a Skype Icon on the desktop or in the top panel. How to do that?
I just want a simple Icon and to be able to change it's icon image with the Skype's one or some .png or .svg or whatever but not that gear-like icon.

steve_s

#167 Post by steve_s »

adXok wrote:With Barry's Original Puppy I seem to not have these problems with the Cyrillic letters (fonts aren't any problem at all)... strange! Or maybe not so strange. :D

I just got one issue with Cyrillic letters with Geany text editor in barry's Original Puppy:
the name of the file (in Cyrillic) doesn't show up properly on the Geany's window panel and on the Tab of the same file also.

Other than that Cyrillic is properly shown and treated when browsing, naming a file, copy/paste to locations and so on.

-----------------

Seems the problem is with XFCE in NOP Pyppy and with a particular program like in Geany and maybe others. I suppose the issues could be easy fixed. At least the languages' characters must always be supported.

------------------

And onother question! I have installed Skype but I cannot make a Skype Icon on the desktop or in the top panel. How to do that?
I just want a simple Icon and to be able to change it's icon image with the Skype's one or some .png or .svg or whatever but not that gear-like icon.
Does something like this help (refer to picture attached). It sets the keyboard layout. I see that us is the only default one...don't know if you've messed with that yet. :?

adXok

#168 Post by adXok »

О, I have already set up that.
I loaded as a second layout the Bulgarian Phonetc as I usualy do.

It is not that the problem. It has something to do with UTF-8 UTF-16 or default ISO-8859-1 coding of symbols in XFCE and as a global setting in 'locale' file... wherever that may be.

:roll:

steve_s

#169 Post by steve_s »

How about this...from terminal run:

chooselocale
Have you done that already, adXok?

adXok

#170 Post by adXok »

How could I miss that in a first place. :shock:

OMG, I wrote in Terminal: chooselocale
Then a window opened, i choose bg for Bulgarian and ticked the: UTF-8 coding