NOP 431

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jtouso

#81 Post by jtouso »

gray:
It it possible to activate the fn+f2....f9 special function keys or the silver keys in my Asus EeePc 901 as I can in Pupeee?
I am using NOP 431-r1
Also, the scrren is a "little big" and some squares can´t see of all and some of the box to select in the bottom side can´t see to choose
Thanks
jtous

jtouso

#82 Post by jtouso »

jasmac

#83 Post by jasmac »

Hi, I am giving the latest NOP a whirl, the only problem is when trying to connect to wireless. I have WPA2 enabled and when connecting I get - associated then group handshake... then it goes back to associated then group handshake. This is what is does in a cycle till it says there was an error and can not connect to wireless. I am using a linksys usb that uses the rt73usb driver. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jason

renatogui

battery widget

#84 Post by renatogui »

Hi gray and NOP friends.
I use NOP 431r1 in my eeepc 701 without any eeepc specific patch. Everything is working fine except battery widget.
I think this is the most important widget in a laptop.
I had no problem with this in NOP 413. The battery widget was OK.
Am I the one with this problem? Is there any workaround I missed?
Thanks.

pri

#85 Post by pri »

hi gray, i using your nop, but i cant using pidgin, pidgin say >> ssl cannot conect.
Learning by Doing

Henry

Re: xfburn updated

#86 Post by Henry »

gray wrote:Henry, I have recompiled xfburn (not in 431 this time) and it works much better for me. Uninstall the last pet, re-download and re-install the updated pet above and try that.
Good morning, gray,

Many thanks. I understand that you are not responsible for problems in the Xfce components, but appreciate it nonetheless.

I spent quite some time testing and exploring the new Xfburn-0.4.2 last night.

Did not test burning audio compilations, not having any uncompressed PCM .wav files at hand.

Did burn one .iso, bad, but had run out of CDs and time at that point so did not pursue. noted it had the right files and size. Also burned a data compilation that I couldn't mount. These may be flukes, but I spent most of the time wrestling with assembling data compilations. (More testing needed to find how well actual burning works.)

As nearly as I can conclude, creating a data compilation crashes if the folder selected contains a hidden file. If I then try to add another (unhidden) file, dragging it down to add cuts a large white swath across the gui and I have to close.

(I'm not sure of the significance of the FIFO buffer size setting. I tried both extremes, but saw no differences.)

Creating a data compilation not containing hidden files works fine.

Summing up, burning data containing hidden files for backup is not so important as it was before I starting backing up to an external hard drive. But it bothers me when everything else seems to work on my system.

Henry
Last edited by Henry on Sat 21 Nov 2009, 22:35, edited 2 times in total.

Henry

EDIT again - New Xfburn Question?

#87 Post by Henry »

gray,

What is actually different about the new compilation (other than the name:-)? It seems to work/not work just like the older one.

Henry

EDIT: I should have emphasized that burning DVDs was more problematic than CDs. In fact it didn't work with DVDs.

Old Xfburn in terminal returned, as I reported months ago:
It works with CDs, but not at all DVDs. In terminal I get:
sh-3.00# xfburn
** Message: Thunar-VFS not available, using default implementation
(xfburn:11642): Gtk-WARNING **: format-dvd: missing action format-dvd
(xfburn:11642): Gtk-WARNING **: copy-dvd: missing action copy-dvd
sh-3.00#
New Xfburn in terminal returns:
sh-3.00# xfburn
** Message: Thunar-VFS not available, using default implementation
sh-3.00#

So that is a change. Does it work? Yes it seems. I just burned a data DVD, but only without any hidden files. BUT WAIT - it's not that simple. Other folders, without and hidden files, cannot be put into a data compilation. I'm having a hard time determining why Xfburn rejects some folders and not others. Am I the only one experiencing this; am I the only one using Xfburn :-)

Henry

Henry

New info. on Xfburn bug

#88 Post by Henry »

Restatement of specific problem: Crashes when adding only certain folders (files) to a data compilation. Same crash whether I drag or use Add button.

It seems that this occurs when attempting to add folders containing windows .dlls, such as used with wine.

Don't know which other files may also cause this crash. (For example cannot add .opera or /root/. Neither are too large but are or include hidden items?)

Restatement of general problem:
Puppy/Nop needs a good, small, burner. What to use? As we see Xfburn, at least in the versions tested here, has serious limitations. Pburn is not currently a credible candidate, but I do note that it can burn the folders rejected by Xfburn.
Pburn is a more ambitious project, but I trust it will eventually be debugged.

Henry

One final note

#89 Post by Henry »

It seems most are not interested in DVD burners and are happy if they can burn an iso. But there is an interesting continuation in the Pburn forum at

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=990 pages 67,68.

Henry

wuxiandianzi

Re: NOP 431

#90 Post by wuxiandianzi »

vellowax

#91 Post by vellowax »

Hi...
Is there anyone could help me with desktop icon grid and desktop margin setting in NOP 431.
cause i want my desktop icons closer with each other icons..

Any help appreciated...
Thanks..

friedsonjm

#92 Post by friedsonjm »

This is EXCELLENT! First puppy that installs to my USB Flash drive properly and STAYS persistent. [I've tried maybe 6 of the latest out...]
Now, I need to find .sfs files for late(est) versions of Firefox and Thunderbird..
jf

Henry

Upgrade NOP 413r1 to 431r1 Experience (SOLVED)

#93 Post by Henry »

NOP 413r1 Background - It runs our violin shop and publishing business, including our book library, e-commerce, and 12 years of email archives. It's the best and only computer I use. No more dual boot!
Live CD with pup_save.2fs. The rest of the hard drive is fat32 (working data and add-on programs). Everything works well, even the hodge-podge of the following applications!

Native Linux - Xfce, Cups, Xsane, Adobe Reader, Opera, Thunderbird, Bluefish, Gftp, Xine, Gimp, mtPaint, OpenOffice, Xorg
Wine - Adobe Acrobat, Address Book, Calendar, SyncBack, Ocr-Sprint, and Deepburner.
VirtualBox (Win2K) - 2000Lite, Moon Antivirus, WordPerfect, Photoshop Elements, RootsMagic 4, GedHTree in a 3Gb virtual hard drive.
Hardware - Five year old Shuttle ST62K with Intel Pentium 4, 1Gb Ram, internal heat pipe, external power supply. CD/DVD Drive, USB Card Reader, 19" LCD 1280 x 1024 x 24. LaserJet 2100 printer, Hp 4480 inkjet-scanner. 80Gb internal hard drive, 80 Gb external backup drive as ready replacement.
------------------------------
Here is the process I used to upgrade Upgrade NOP 413r1 to 431r1, including VirtualBox. This will not fit other live CD installations exactly but may serve as an example:

Read gray's http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47128
Keep /mnt/home/pup_save-Old.2fs and copy it as /mnt/home/pup_save-New.2fs (by any safe means)
Reboot and run it.
Uninstall virtualbox-3.02_k2.6.25.16.pet
In boot manager unload the old Acroread_7_0_5.sfs, OpenOffice310_JRE_lzma_413.sfs, wine_1.0-rc4-i686_413.sfs
Reboot into /mnt/home/pup_save-Old.2fs
Rename pup_save-New.2fs to pupsave-New.2fs
Insert Nop 4.3.1r1 Live CD and boot pupsave-New.2fs
Install needed ATI video driver xf86-video-ati-6.12.4-i686.pet
Adjust desktop, display, etc to conform to previous using Xfce Settings Manager.
Import old bookmarks into new Opera version, readjust its fonts, directory locations, etc.
Install wine-1.1.23.pet
In boot manager load adobe-9.2-1-sfs4.sfs, openoffice-3.1.1-sfs4.sfs
Reboot and confirm operation of sfs's and wine
Update as needed shortcuts or launchers to the new wine programs and sfs's.
Update /mnt/home/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso per http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47128
Install virtualbox-3.1_k2.6.30.5.pet
Install xorg_xorg_dri-7.3.1.pet
Run VirtualBox
You can from now boot either the Old (Nop 413r1) or the New (Nop431r1) until you feel it's safe to delete the Old.

Henry
Last edited by Henry on Mon 28 Dec 2009, 23:11, edited 8 times in total.

Henry

Error message in OpenOffice for Nop 431r1 SOLVED

#94 Post by Henry »

While 4.3x seems superior in many ways, it is difficult to find the needed program versions yet. I did find the OpenOffice sfs that Barry provided for 4.3, but when it opens there is a double error message -
"Error loading BASIC of document
file:///root/.openpffice.org/3/user/basic/dialog.xlc/:
General Error.
General input/output error.
OK"

Thanks for any good advice. This may not be the right place for such questions ?, but I'll start here.

EDIT: Receiving no response, I have since asked about this in
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 353#376353
--------------------------------------------
I have also updated that as SOLVED. What worked was this:

I renamed /root/.openoffice.org to /root/.openoffice.org_obsolete

This gave me a new /root/.openoffice.org which required me to create a new profile, but the error messages are gone.

Henry
Last edited by Henry on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 22:04, edited 3 times in total.

JMX

Softmaker

#95 Post by JMX »

Henry,

I know this is not directly responsive to your Open Office Org issue (and beyond my capabilities) but have you tried the Softmaker Office 2008 pet recently posted by ttuuxxx?

Works perfectly in NOP431.

Henry

#96 Post by Henry »

JMX,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been familiar with Textmaker for many years.. My Nop 413 works perfectly, and I am just working out small problems in upgrading to Nop 431, for what that may be worth.

OpenOffice, even with that annoying error message, would handle any incoming MS office stuff, as when Amazon sends me a spreadsheet, or a relative sends me a scenic powerpoint. As a professional writer I still use the best word processor, WordPerfect, even though I have to run it in VirtualBox. Wine has never worked with it and probably never will :-(

Yes, ttuuxxx does a a lot of great stuff, and has helped me before.

Henry

yerc1

Shutdown issue

#97 Post by yerc1 »

Older NOP versions can shut down my old laptop compaq nx9040 cleanly. However, 431r1 version cannot do it properly

With no boot option, shutting down turns the screen a blank black and just sits there.
With acpi=off option, shutting down results in a "System halted" message but won't turn the laptop off. I have to manually press the power button to power off the computer.

Has anyone encountered the same issue and found a fix?
(I note from the Puppy forum that users of the stock Puppy are having the same issue unresolved - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48996)

droope

#98 Post by droope »

Hi :D

Tried your NOP. It's great! Thank you. : )

Cheers!
Droope
What seems hard is actually easy, while what looks like impossible is in fact hard.

“Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer.â€￾ –Percy Cerutty

[url=http://droope.wordpress.com/]Mi blog[/url] (Spanish)

vellowax

#99 Post by vellowax »

Henry wrote:OpenOffice, even with that annoying error message, would handle any incoming MS office stuff, as when Amazon sends me a spreadsheet, or a relative sends me a scenic powerpoint. As a professional writer I still use the best word processor, WordPerfect, even though I have to run it in VirtualBox. Wine has never worked with it and probably never will
I can install those things and goes well with wine in NOP431 :D

algyzas

#100 Post by algyzas »

This is really strange pupplet, I couldn't find how to add keyboard layout
http://img97.imageshack.us/i/layouts.png/
It's not available to add keyboard layouts to panel also. Wtf people, it is 2010 year around and such strange things. Xfce is attempting to be a desktop environment, but not in this case, here it could be a headache to make everything in order, worse than jwm.