Non standard (superchannel) WiFi Channels Atheros Question.

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
James186282

Non standard (superchannel) WiFi Channels Atheros Question.

#1 Post by James186282 »

Hello everyone. I'm a radio "geek" since I got my Ham Radio License in 1976 and a few of my friends have been using custom router software to allow them to go on non Part 15 WiFi channels. One of the projects is to see just how far you can go with 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz using external antenna etc. Now, I'm enjoying playing around a Netgear Router but I was wondering if anyone has built a driver that allows this for say a WAG511 card? I've always used these because they are dual band and not too expensive. Plus they have fair output power. I have been soldering SMA connectors to them to make it easier to connect to my "peachcans" antenna.

Ok, I see that some of the MadWifi driver is available as source but the HAL file is intended to keep people on the part 15 channels and not allow fiddling with them or power etc. Which surprises me. I'm NOT trying to hack this and operate in an illegal manner. I've got a license and would very much like to tinker. I'm sure this has been done before having read about "superchannel" in some other forums. However the "how" to do so is still a question.

In the meantime I'm trying to compile madwifi without much luck. It looks for the kernel header files and I've little clue where to find same or where to save them.

I'm only 93% an idiot as I've gotten the compiler linker working and my crude little routines are compiling and linking.

If you have any ideas or direction I will be most pleased!
- James

James186282

#2 Post by James186282 »

Just an update to anyone else who is reading this. I was able to compile the latest Madwifi and tinker with the hal enough to allow whatever channels and power levels that I like (32 anyway) My work is "crude" I'm sure as I'm learning Linux, C at the same time. I've done Driver work before I've done many other computer languages but anyway SUCCESS!

Hoo Hoo!
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

Aitch

#3 Post by Aitch »

mcurran

#4 Post by mcurran »

Hello:

Could you please provide me some details on how to do this, or maybe even supply me your driver. I have a broadcom (AirForce One) card 802.11 - BCM8413. Which is a Linksys WMP54G-S.

Please let me know...

michaelpcurran@aol.com

faifpuhp

#5 Post by faifpuhp »

Anyone else find it a little amusing that the part of GNU/Linux that says "I'm sorry, I can't let you change the radio channel" is called HAL?

(Also, isn't HAL being phased out? I could be thinking of something related...)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=566477#566477][b]Strawberry is dead[/b][/url][b]![/b]

eztuxer

#6 Post by eztuxer »

faifpuhp wrote:Anyone else find it a little amusing that the part of GNU/Linux that says "I'm sorry, I can't let you change the radio channel" is called HAL?
I do !

Also about HAL, if you take the next letter for each H --> I A --> B L --> M it reads IBM ;-)
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

Aitch

#7 Post by Aitch »

see here for a high power Alfa

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 588#572588

They also do a 2W N device.....but the real gains come from adding a Yagi [+45dBi]

I've seen 5 miles coverage in London, and suburbs, where the airwaves are pretty congested - in the open or on a pole they should give much further

I use it mainly for my narrowboat....no ham licence, but I can't see why it wouldn't work 'off frequency' :wink:

Aitch :)