SFS-TCZ_Linker-2.2.pet

Miscellaneous tools
its-me-again

interesting

#76 Post by its-me-again »

I use lighthouse marriner d version would this app work on that it is a murge of 431, Woof and Spup. i believe that s it relies heavly on sfs files if not included it should be

jrb

#77 Post by jrb »

its-me-again wrote:
jrb wrote:I have included two versions. One with replacement /usr/local/bin/defaultprograms so your loaded programs will become the defaults and one without.
so what version makes the sfs files default then
That's a feature that I dropped some time ago. (Can't even find where I said it now!) I put "if" statements in the /usr/local/bin/default* files so that, for example, with no browser SFS loaded it would default to Seamonkey. If Opera SFS was loaded it would default to Opera. This required a special symlink built into the SFS as well.

There got to be so many puppy versions and custom puppies with specially modified default* files that this conflicted with so I let it go. Likewise, there are so many SFS files out there now, without the special symlinks that it didn't seem worthwhile anymore.

I can tell you how to modify the default* files and SFS's if you'd like to set them up yourself.

That's where it sits right now, one size fits all.

Cheers, J

tlchost

Works Now

#78 Post by tlchost »

I suspected a bad download, or something amiss with my USB install....so,
I replicated what you did....started from square1.

Works like a charm!

What a great Utility.....instead of running one of the PuppyBloat puplets, I can have what I need and want.....and my save file in the USB drive doesn't get taxed as it would with the conventional .pet additions.

With Firefox....If I load in your firefox sfs file....can I run the firefox update? If so, will the updates disappear when I unload the sfs file?

Thanks a lot!

Thom

jrb

#79 Post by jrb »

jrb wrote:It is fairly easy to build your own SFS's from .pets however. I am attaching two .pets which you can use.

Gposil's pet2xarc will extract .pets to a folder with the same name.
Dir2sfs_nover will convert that folder into an SFS.
The versions I have attached both have right click options. Right click on the .pet and extract. Right click on the folder and convert to SFS.
Thom, I've never used Firefox update but I suspect it will just load up your pupsave with the new version, And you'll still have to load the SFS to get your menus etc.

Try building your own SFS from the latest .pet. Its quite easy. I loaded pet2xarc and dir2sfs_nover on page 1 of this thread.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck, J

gcmartin

I am a NOOB to this

#80 Post by gcmartin »

@jrb, seems that this is much needed tools.

I PM'ed you with more details to my question:

Is there some small wirte-up of what and how to use your PETs ?

Please see my PM to you.

Thanks in advance

gcmartin

Using your PETs for SFSs

#81 Post by gcmartin »

I PM'd you with a scenario and question about LightHouse (lhpup) Mariner's LiveDVD (version 5.0 D). This relates to the post of @its-me-again written here, to you, on Monday.

Please look at the PM to you. Thanks
P.S. This is NOT an attempt to plug LightHouse. But, it is my attempt to understand how to use your tool. It just happens that the owner of LightHouse, @taroc, steered me to you thinking that your tool might be appropriate for my intended flexible environment use. If your tool works, this is a HUGE step in the Puppy world.

jrb

#82 Post by jrb »

Hi gcmartin,

Glad you let me know about the PM - no notification from forum and it says no new messages but it was there.

I'm working from 9:00 to 9:00 today so really don't have much time to look at it but I will tomorrow.

SFS_Linker-1.5 does work on live CD's and DVD's. It links / to /mnt/home and SFS's there can be mounted. With that said, Its my understanding that SFS's on CD's or DVD's get mounted into ram so I'm not sure how that will effect low ram machines.

I'll take a closer look at you situation tomorrow morning.

Bye for now, J

gcmartin

SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.5.pet

#83 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks. I am running a AMD X2 with 4GB of mem.

I will test, after you comment. (as you can see, if I had posted this here, it would have been more like a book, ranther than a forum post.)

I will produce a doc with pics to show what worked for this single scenario. This (hopeflly) should reduce some questions on your tool's use and should help others new to the tool's use.

Anyway, again, your tool is a very needed utility in the Puppy world. I see how others are so appreciative with your work, here.

Thanks in advance...

Aitch

#84 Post by Aitch »

gcmartin wrote:If your tool works, this is a HUGE step in the Puppy world.
That's what I thought, so offered it as a link....

One happy bunny

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59612

Also requested its inclusion into new builds, thanks jrb

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6&start=30

Aitch :)

jrb

#85 Post by jrb »

Thanks for the positives guys,

I'm afraid I've had only partial success with lighthouse pup. Was able to install SFS_Linker-1.5 to live cd reboot, save and use with SFS's on harddrive

I copied an SFS to / and linked it to /root/my_links/sfs_boot_links and saved so that it should start on bootup. When I rebooted the desktop came up but mouse and keyboard frozen. Have tried this twice now with same results.

Will continue to investigate as time allows.

Bye for now, J

jrb

#86 Post by jrb »

gcmartin,

Have modified and tested SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.6.pet in Lighthouse 5D both Live CD and regular. Seems to work very well. Had to make a few small changes but I'm quite sure they won't be incompatible with other pups.

Try it out! J

jrb

#87 Post by jrb »

Dingo wrote:I found sfs-linker makes possible mount ands use a devx sfs from LIVE CD

Now I investigated better and more in deep

see image attached, it represents /usr/lib/ after devx mount (with sfslinker latest version)

several symlinks seem broken, the strange is that are pointing to files supposed in devx. Maybe this is a union/aufs limit? devx can't be used fully without frugal install at least and a reboot?
Dingo, I probably shouldn't say anything but I have managed to make an SFS_LInker that successfully mounts devx.sfs. As technosaurus suggested I copy the original symlinks from the SFS. I just haven't quite worked out how to get rid of them when the SFS is unmounted. :? If I haven't puzzled that out soon I'll release it anyway. What's a few extra symlinks, eh?

Cheers, J

gcmartin

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

#88 Post by gcmartin »

I PM'ed the LightHouse owner, @TazOC, of your very fine efforts. Thanks bunches!

jrb

#89 Post by jrb »

Have just uploaded SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.7.pet. This one should work with devx SFS's (where's the emoticon for crossed fingers?). :wink: Give it a good test.

Enjoy, J

jrb

Re: SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.8.pet

#90 Post by jrb »

Have just uploaded SFS-TCZ_Linker-1.8.pet. This is a fix for 1.7. Doh! I forgot to put the patch for copying existing symlinks into sfs_linker_silent which means it wouldn't work when loading at bootup. :oops: All fixed now. :D

technosaurus

#91 Post by technosaurus »

tcl is up to 3.X now so the 2.X repo may start to go stale.

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... ux/3.x/tcz
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

seaside

#92 Post by seaside »

Jrb,

Nice work on getting the Dev sfs to work.

I've been using this script on a rox right-click menu just to properly link the Dev files. My script looks for just broken links and copies those over.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#SFSDEV Link & copy for Puppy4.3.1

SFSDEV=`basename $1`

mkdir /mnt/"$SFSDEV"

mount -t squashfs "$1" /mnt/"$SFSDEV" -o loop

find /mnt/"$SFSDEV" -type l -print0|\
 xargs -r0 file|\
 grep "broken symbolic"|
 sed -e 's/^\|: *broken symbolic.*$//g' >/tmp/blfile

cp -rs /mnt/"$SFSDEV"/* / 

for file in `cat /tmp/blfile`;do 
 cpfile=`echo "$file" |  sed 's/.*sfs//'` ;cp -a "$file" "$cpfile" 
done 

# redo circular link below
rm  /lib/libsysfs.so 
ln -s /lib/libsysfs.so.2.0.1 /lib/libsysfs.so
Since I usually only run the Dev sfs in ram, I never needed to unlink anything :D

As many of the SFS files, not specifically made for Puppy, need some additional help for configuration persistence or other customization, here is something else you might find interesting.

The following code is in the linker script

if [ -f "/mnt/"$SFSNAME"SETUP" ]; then
	/mnt/"$SFSNAME"SETUP
	fi
If an SFS file needs some additional commands, I make up a script called "nameofsfs.sfsSETUP" with whatever commands necessary.

Now when the sfs linker is run, any code that's in my "nameofsfs.sfsSETUP" script, is run specifically for that sfs file

I use this system for Thunderbird and several other sfs files and usually avoid any repetitive work or having to edit SFS files this way.

Regards,
s

jrb

#93 Post by jrb »

technosaurus wrote:tcl is up to 3.X now so the 2.X repo may start to go stale. ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... ux/3.x/tcz
Thanks technosaurus, I'll update that in sfs_linker-1.9
Last edited by jrb on Fri 24 Sep 2010, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

#94 Post by jrb »

seaside wrote: As many of the SFS files, not specifically made for Puppy, need some additional help for configuration persistence or other customization, here is something else you might find interesting.

The following code is in the linker script

if [ -f "/mnt/"$SFSNAME"SETUP" ]; then
	/mnt/"$SFSNAME"SETUP
	fi
If an SFS file needs some additional commands, I make up a script called "nameofsfs.sfsSETUP" with whatever commands necessary.

Now when the sfs linker is run, any code that's in my "nameofsfs.sfsSETUP" script, is run specifically for that sfs file

I use this system for Thunderbird and several other sfs files and usually avoid any repetitive work or having to edit SFS files this way.

Regards,
s
Nice idea seaside. These SETUP scripts could be in the SFS and run once the SFS is mounted. More elegant than my setting up a special directory in the SFS to copy from. Just change /mnt/"$SFSNAME"SETUP to /mnt/"$SFSNAME"/"$SFSNAME"SETUP. Will definitely keep this in mind for sfs_linker-1.9.

Will compare your script for dealing with symlinks with mine when I get a few spare minutes. Busy times right now.

Thanks, J

seaside

#95 Post by seaside »

jrb wrote:
Nice idea seaside. These SETUP scripts could be in the SFS and run once the SFS is mounted. More elegant than my setting up a special directory in the SFS to copy from. Just change /mnt/"$SFSNAME"SETUP to /mnt/"$SFSNAME"/"$SFSNAME"SETUP. Will definitely keep this in mind for sfs_linker-1.9.

Will compare your script for dealing with symlinks with mine when I get a few spare minutes. Busy times right now.

Thanks, J
Jrb,

Thanks, and I should elaborate to say that the "sfsname.sfsSETUP" files are not in the SFS file itself, but in the same directory as the SFS file. The linker code looks for the *SETUP file (if any) and executes any commands.

Your symlink script looks for any symlinks, while mine looks for broken ones (the ones pointing back to the main puppy files).

Cheers,
s