SFS-TCZ_Linker-2.2.pet

Miscellaneous tools
ICPUG

#121 Post by ICPUG »

I didn't realise SFS-Linker had gone into this thread so have missed out on the latest updates!

This is just a plant to ensure future changes appear in 'My Posts' list.

I LOVE this tool. Now in the Lighthouse Pup.

Keep up the solid work jrb!

jrb

#122 Post by jrb »

technosaurus wrote:I replaced a couple of the large binaries with statically linked uclibc versions / busybox scripts (recommended that you have a statically linked busybox) ... cuts the size by over 90%, but this is just for testers
I've used technosaurus shrunken version of 2.1 for a week now in Quirky130, Wary102, Lupu511 and Puppy431. It has worked flawlessly. :D The only improvements I have for 2.1 are some grammar corrections in the readme file suggested by gcmartin. If no one reports any problems in the next few days I will incorporate technosaurus' and gcmartin's improvements into version 2.2.

Cheers, J

jrb

#123 Post by jrb »

I have just uploaded version 2.2 to page 1 of this thread

Technosaurus has worked his compiling magic on the included binaries and shrunk them to 10% of what they were, WOW :shock: Thanks technosaurus!

GCmartin has corrected my literary shortcomings to make a more understandable Readme. Thanks gcmartin!

Barring unforseen eventualities I think this is it, the final version. Have been testing for a couple of weeks and its performed perfectly so far. :D (Hope I don't regret saying that)

Cheers, J

scsijon

maybe 2.3 leading to 3.0

#124 Post by scsijon »

@jrb
Silly question but, how many sfs's can I load using your linker?

Now that 5.2 is completed and stable (except for bugfixes) I'm finally starting my puppy project. Having just found your package, I'd like to use it as it would give me more flexability than having to use Bootmanager.

As a wish, i'd like to have between 17 and 24 sfs's if I use your package as it will allow much smaller component groups to be dealt with.

Maybe you could even think of adding a pet linker to your package, now that would turn you mainstream :wink:

regards
scsijon
edit: ammended down to one per menu group after some redesigning and rethought, may eventually be down to 16 total. Do note technosaurus's answer to the third item, shame would have been a good addition.
Last edited by scsijon on Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

technosaurus

#125 Post by technosaurus »

a pet linker wouldn't work, because even though they are basically tar.gz - they have an md5 tacked on at the end that would cause errors with avfs, and gvfs and other tools that can mount them - you'd have to convert to tgz with pet2tgz for pets to be usable this way
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

mhanifpriatama

#126 Post by mhanifpriatama »

Mount, Link and use SFS's and TCZ's
I would be very happy if become to :
Mount, Link and run on single click,
Unmount and unlink on close
;)

jrb

#127 Post by jrb »

mhanifpriatama wrote:I would be very happy if become to :
Mount, Link and run on single click,
Unmount and unlink on close.
;)
I am attaching a seperate dotpet which will setup left click mounting of SFS's. Just click on one and SFS_Linker will mount it. (You must have SFS_Linker installed already!).

Running on that same click is a little more complicated but doable. You will have to set up a script file for each SFS that will call the required executable. Here is an example:
For ch4-dillo-2.2.sfs create the script file ch4-dillo-2.2.sfs.setup and make sure both are in the same folder. Here are the contents for the script file

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/dillo
As you can see the script file simply calls up the dillo executable file. Since each SFS has a different executable you will have to build a .setup file for each of your SFS's. SFS_Linker has the ability to use these .setup files already, you just have to name the same as your SFS plus the .setup.

SFS's mounted this way will be unmounted and unlinked when you reboot your computer or you can go to /root/my_links/sfs_loaded/ and right click and unmount.

Hope that makes you "very happy", J :D
Attachments
Linker_Lftclk.pet
Left click mounting and linking of SFS's
(420 Bytes) Downloaded 539 times

mhanifpriatama

#128 Post by mhanifpriatama »

wow ... very interesting, thanks.
But, let's talk about something.
Your idea about creating a link from the SFS, makes me think that we could make a modified SFS to be like in http://portablelinuxapps.org.
(Sorry, i use google translate).

gcmartin

New approach to installing s/w on a Ubuntu desktop

#129 Post by gcmartin »

mhanifpriatama wrote:wow ... very interesting, thanks.
But, let's talk about something.
Your idea about creating a link from the SFS, makes me think that we could make a modified SFS to be like in http://portablelinuxapps.org.
(Sorry, i use google translate).
Thanks Mhanifpriatama for posting that site URL. That's a very unique approach to installing s/w on a system. Pretty interesting.

The "Linker" is very nicely designed for its mission, though and that site appears to be a departure from Linker's approach.

Here's an idea, though, how about you opening a new Thread to address how to use that site to install applications in Puppy. I'm sure that many will contribute and follow you on this. Its different from how s/w is traditionally added via the package management schemes we have seen in the differing Linuxes, but, it does make it very easy for one to scan a website picking stuff for a Puppy desktop. Very interesting indeed. (BTW, don't worry about the language barrier....Google is solving that for all of us. Translate away, and we'll get your message.)

Hope this helps.
P.S. @JRB. That was a very "heads-up" thing you did with your left-clicker. Great work continues from you.

mhanifpriatama

#130 Post by mhanifpriatama »

@gc.martin

Lobster have make a thread here.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... dec3fdf022
Just for lucid puppy I guess, because of portablelinuxapps can run on ubuntu.

Before I make a thread, please understand that i'm beginer. So, I just have ideas, but can't do further.
May be, in this thread or somebody who have a lot of skills make a new thread.
This my idea : create an sfs that has a launcher at mounting folder, then after click that launcher, do links job and launch the program. Named : how about "executable sfs"? not just "installable sfs".
(Sorry for my grammar, now I didn't use google translate)
I once made ​​a script that launches openoffice. But that's because they do not need to create links to usr or other. Only by looking for executable files (openoffice.bin), click on, and run. (This use google translate).

Example for Portablelinuxapps : inkscape48. Just download (just a single file!), place to anywhere, make it become executable (chmod a+x), click it, and run.

mhanifpriatama

#131 Post by mhanifpriatama »

mhanifpriatama

#132 Post by mhanifpriatama »

Anyone interesting to this ?

http://www.hacktolive.org/wiki/SFS_Tech ... umentation
The new SFS Technology solves software dependencies and installation problems. It consists of a unique file that can be mounted as a normal file-system with all libraries and files needed by the specific program. When mounted the sfslauncher will start the application stored into it.

The procedure is completely transparent to the end user; Just double click on the "program.sfs" and sfslauncher will do the magic.

Starting with version 0.3 we improved the integration: the operating system now knows the "sfs" file type as a native executable file.

How does it work?

Well, the file "program.sfs" is a zlib(squashfs) compressed file that can be used as a filesystem.

The .sfs file is a squashfs file that can be mounted in an hidden directory (/.mounted/"softwarename").

Once mounted the file, sfslauncher program will read the executable's name and all the parameters stored into the "parameters" file (a simple text file).

Then the sfslauncher will read the description.id file and will execute the executable file.

When the user will close the executable(the software into the package) sfslauncher will go with "flush" procedure: it will release the thread, unmount the .sfs file and delete the hidden directory.

technosaurus

#133 Post by technosaurus »

another little news tidbit - kernel 2.6.38 now supports xz compressed squashfs (supported in squash since 4.1)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

gcmartin

64bit OK?

#134 Post by gcmartin »

Question: Is the latest version compatible with 64bit system? Or are the library(s) it depends on, only 32bit?
Edited: Is there any reason that comes to mind why it should not be used in FATDOG?

Thanks in advance.

gcmartin

Will it work in FATDOG

#135 Post by gcmartin »

Version 2.2 - Technosaurus has worked his compiling magic on the included binaries and shrunk them to 10% of what they were,
Does this mean that "The Linker" is locked in 32bit and I shouldn't expect it to work in FATDOG?

Trying to understand. Help, anyone.

jrb

#136 Post by jrb »

gcmartin wrote:Question: Is the latest version compatible with 64bit system? Or are the library(s) it depends on, only 32bit? Is there any reason that comes to mind why it should not be used in FATDOG?
I just downloaded FD64 and vlc-1.1.7-amd64.sfs. Then I installed SFS-TCZ_Linker-2.2.pet and used it to mount and link vlc. Everything works fine so far.

Just backup your fd64save and try it. Then let us know if you have any problems.

Cheers, J