Puppy does not work on FAT16

Booting, installing, newbie
jolly

Puppy does not work on FAT16

#1 Post by jolly »

I have a old pentium 48M with blank old harddisk formated with win98 fdisk.

I copy the three files ,vmlinum, ..cram_fs and created a blank pupxidx into the harddisk.

The installation is good at first and detech the pupxidx on the harddisk and later it claimed that it cannot find diskspace to store the pup080 and asked fro usb. I hit <enter> instead of a sda1 to continue. Finally it says that there no space to place the root. I try some other blank harddisks and formatted with win98 and the format is fAT16 but still the same problem.
The PC I used are working find with win98 before. I really have no ideas, please help.

TIA

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I don't think Puppy supports writing to FAT16 filesystem. Either reformat the hard drive to FAT32 or partition it and make one of the partitions an ext2 or ext3 partition, any of which Puppy can write to.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Ian »

You probably need more RAM or a swap partition, 48M RAM is a bit small for the later versions of Puppy.

You may want to read this post about swap partitions.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4712

pakt

#4 Post by pakt »

Flash wrote:I don't think Puppy supports writing to FAT16 filesystem..
USB flash drives ar usually FAT16 formatted. Puppy has no problem writing to them, so I doubt that's the problem. ;)

kethd

#5 Post by kethd »

I agree, the Fat16 per se should not be insurmountable -- I have Pup107a self-booting on MS-DOS 128MB CF-IDE, which is Fat16 at the most (maybe even more Fat12-ish).

Tell us how big your hard drives and partitions are.

Puppy will certainly be happier with more than 48MB! Maybe you can make it run, esp with swap space, but that might slow it down a lot.

I have had similar problems with the start-up script (rc.sysinit) which I am currently studying. My experience is that sometimes it does not properly find my hard drive, and asks for USB, and when it asks for sda entry I re-type hda1 and it seems to help force it to start.

I also got involved with making pupXXX files by hand, which you can read about here:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=4692
But if your hard drives are big enough maybe you won't have to bother with that.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

D'oh! Wrong again! :lol: Will I ever learn? :oops:

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Ian »

You are learning now Flash, don't be scared to put forward your ideas, if you are right someone might agree but if you are wrong they will soon correct you and at least you will be able to add a bit more to your store of knowledge.

We all learn by our mistakes and boy have I learnt a lot!! :-)