How do I install non-pet programs on Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
emaeee

How do I install non-pet programs on Puppy?

#1 Post by emaeee »

hi, complete noob here :roll:
i'd like to install packages like tar.gz bz2 on puppy, how can i do it (and, why not, also .deb and .rpm)?

1)i mean what's the easier method? ( i 've already read some guides)
i installed the devx...sfs file and then i do configure, make, make install and that's it. is this the simpler way? how can i uninstall them?

2) how can i create a pet from tar.gz or bz2 (and, why not, also .deb and .rpm)? if i do configure, make,... i can't unistall the program from the package installer obviously. moreover creating a pet is really useful for a future reinstallation

3) i tried tgz2pet conversion: creates pet but program doesn't work

i hope you undersand the problem, i come from windows where you click on the exe and then nextnextnext. i think that's the big limit of linux, not having a really simple installation (exept for those lucky programs that have pet files).if i solve, i'm sure i can easily forget this elephantic and slow OS

good forum, waiting patiently for answers

emaeee

#2 Post by emaeee »

suggestions?

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

That wasn't very patient. Now you're off the unanswered posts list...

You can often install .deb and .rpm packages by clicking on them and then extracting them to the right place. Some .rpms in particular are difficult to extract though. Some people also use special scripts and stuff to install them (e.g. pbdebianinstaller or something like that).
i installed the devx...sfs file and then i do configure, make, make install and that's it. is this the simpler way? how can i uninstall them?
If you still have the source folder you can uninstall with `make uninstall`.

You can create a .pet with `new2dir make install`
3) i tried tgz2pet conversion: creates pet but program doesn't work
That should work for Slackware packages, but not source tarballs. If the program doesn't work you are probably missing a dependency - try running it from a terminal to see what.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER