Some SD cards and USB sticks not seen in Tahr 6.0.6. 64 bit

Please post any bugs you have found
Brown Mouse

Some SD cards and USB sticks not seen in Tahr 6.0.6. 64 bit

#1 Post by Brown Mouse »

I've noticed after several hours of testing that random SD cards and usb storage devices are not recognised and don't show up in Pmount.

**This was meant to have been added to tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE thread

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

1. I believe pmount isn't designed to see hardware, but to see "Partition File Systems" [formatted partitions].
Hence...
If the hardware is partitioned, but not formatted...
Or not partitioned OR formatted...
Or is, but not in a way that pmount is capable of seeing....
pmount will not display anything.

2. GParted aught to see hardware [HDD's etc]...
Try using that.

Brown Mouse

#3 Post by Brown Mouse »

Thanks Sylvander.

Bit of confusion here with my first post.

Firstly,it should have been posted to the 'tahrpup64 6.0.5 CE' thread.

Secondly,I was meaning that when I plug in some SD cards and usb sticks they are not recognised and no icons appear on the desktop.

PMount should see all media devices that are inserted.

Flash.Can you please move this to the appropriate thread?

Thank you

Sylvander

#4 Post by Sylvander »

Brown Mouse wrote:PMount should see all media devices that are inserted.
NOT SO!
As I said in my 1st post...
Pmount only sees "Partition File Systems" [and only if it's capable of seeing them], NOT hardware "media devices".

To test this you could insert a device that has not been [partitioned and then formatted]->nothing would be displayed on the Puppy desktop.
Then [partition and format]->the formatted partition would then be displayed.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Settings in "Puppy Event Manager" controls what shows on the desktop.
Check the settings in it.
These tabs:
Activate
Desktop Icons.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Brown Mouse wrote:Flash.Can you please move this to the appropriate thread?
I can't do that, Dave. :lol:

Seriously, I can move entire threads from one place in the forum to another, but I can't move individual posts from one thread to another and I can't combine threads.

As for your problem, if the computer is fairly old and the SD card is a new one, the problem could be the USB controller on the computer's motherboard. It may be possible to update its driver by updating the BIOS, but you'd probably have to do that in Windows.

You could try an external SD card reader, the kind that plugs into the computer's USB port. They're fairly cheap. Just make sure it's of recent vintage. At least make sure you can get your money back if it doesn't work.

Brown Mouse

#7 Post by Brown Mouse »

Sylvander wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:PMount should see all media devices that are inserted.
NOT SO!
As I said in my 1st post...
Pmount only sees "Partition File Systems" [and only if it's capable of seeing them], NOT hardware "media devices".

To test this you could insert a device that has not been [partitioned and then formatted]->nothing would be displayed on the Puppy desktop.
Then [partition and format]->the formatted partition would then be displayed.
Maybe.
So in which case how come every other Puppy does see this same media in PMount and also adds an icon on the desktop??

bigpup wrote:Settings in "Puppy Event Manager" controls what shows on the desktop.
These tabs:
Activate
Desktop Icons.
Thanks for the idea bigpup
I checked those settings and all the necessary boxes were checked.

Flash wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:Flash.Can you please move this to the appropriate thread?
I can't do that, Dave. :lol:

Seriously, I can move entire threads from one place in the forum to another, but I can't move individual posts from one thread to another and I can't combine threads.
Ok,no problem thanks.
Flash wrote:As for your problem, if the computer is fairly old and the SD card is a new one, the problem could be the USB controller on the computer's motherboard. It may be possible to update its driver by updating the BIOS, but you'd probably have to do that in Windows.

You could try an external SD card reader, the kind that plugs into the computer's USB port. They're fairly cheap. Just make sure it's of recent vintage. At least make sure you can get your money back if it doesn't work.
I am only seeing this issue in Tahr 6.0.6. 64 bit.
All sd cards and usb devices are seen in all my other running Puppy's,including Tahr 6.0.5,Precise 5.7.1 etc.etc....

Sylvander

#8 Post by Sylvander »

Brown Mouse wrote:...how come every other Puppy does see this same media in PMount and also adds an icon on the desktop??
Ah,,,right...
This means that such media are indeed properly partitioned and formatted.
Is the PC mobo hardware 64-bit?
I guess so otherwise the 64-bit Puppy wouldn't run on it, right?
The problem would appear to be with the "Tahr 6.0.6. 64 bit" Puppy OS, or a program running on it.
I'm no expert on such stuff.
My normal reaction would be to stop using the Puppy that doesn't work, and use the Puppies that do.
Why flog a dead horse?

tlchost

#9 Post by tlchost »

Sylvander wrote: My normal reaction would be to stop using the Puppy that doesn't work, and use the Puppies that do.
Why flog a dead horse?
And that's why some folks use windows.

Brown Mouse

#10 Post by Brown Mouse »

Sylvander wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:...how come every other Puppy does see this same media in PMount and also adds an icon on the desktop??
Ah,,,right...
The problem would appear to be with the "Tahr 6.0.6. 64 bit" Puppy OS, or a program running on it.
My normal reaction would be to stop using the Puppy that doesn't work, and use the Puppies that do.
Why flog a dead horse?
Yes,I have two machines both capable of running 64 bit OS's both of which display the same issue and hence why I posted the problem in case somebody has a fix for it.

Brown Mouse

#11 Post by Brown Mouse »

tlchost wrote:
Sylvander wrote: My normal reaction would be to stop using the Puppy that doesn't work, and use the Puppies that do.
Why flog a dead horse?
And that's why some folks use windows.
:lol: :lol:

belham2

#12 Post by belham2 »

Brown Mouse wrote:
Sylvander wrote:
Ah,,,right...
Why flog a dead horse?
Yes,I have two machines both capable of running 64 bit OS's both of which display the same issue and hence why I posted the problem in case somebody has a fix for it.

Brownmouse,

Is this http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=690 something similar to what you are experiencing? I was getting weird problems with Tahr 64 6.0.6 desktop icons not appearing for plugged-in usb/sc card drives (and, yes, they were all formatted ext4, partitioned correctly, and seen by every other pup I run). Tahr64 6.0.6 would even do weird stuff on bootup for plugged in drives that should have icons appeared on the desktop, but yet the icons weren't functional (see the previous link). I even went so far as to do repeated fresh downloads and installations of Tahr 64 6.0.6, and the problem did disappear briefly on the 3rd try. But, alas, then it crept back in again in that 3rd fresh install. I'm glad someone else is seeing this problem, as I started to think it was just my machines only and marv was telling me that he was seeing no one experiencing/reporting it. Initially, I gave up on using pmount and relying on the desktop automount for that Tahr64 install, then I just gave up on it completely. My solution was to woof-CE build my own Tahr64 6.4.6.3 with the last kernel, and all is good now. This newly built woof-CE Tahr64 version displays no problems with pmount and/or anything related....so I don't know what to think and/or tell ya. Hope you're able to find solution.

Brown Mouse

#13 Post by Brown Mouse »

Hi belham2

Absolutely!
Exactly what I am seeing and thank you for the confirmation.
The two questionable devices so far of mine are formatted Vfat but they show up in all other Puppy's and I know they work just fine plus are of good quality both Kingston and Verbatim.

I think my next step is to try the latest Tahr 32 bit but I really wanted to move over to 64 bit OS's.

I'll wait and hope a fix will turn up.

Thanks again for your input,much appreciated :)

mini-jaguar

#14 Post by mini-jaguar »

I have had this problem, but only with SD cards, never with USB sticks, except for one really old 500 meg USB stick which I'm pretty sure is defect.

It's pretty random, sometimes it sees them, sometimes not, sometimes I have to reformat the card and it works, sometimes it depends what Puppy version I'm using, and it also depends what computer I'm using.

When it doesn't see them, it matters not if I'm using the built-in card reader or an external one, even though in some versions it sees the external reader as a USB stick.

There are some cards which it always reads with no problems, but I've had problems with 2 GB, 8 GB and 32 GB cards, so I can't say there is any rule.

tlchost

#15 Post by tlchost »

Brown Mouse wrote: I think my next step is to try the latest Tahr 32 bit but I really wanted to move over to 64 bit OS's.
Hopefully you'll have better luck with the 32 bit version that I am having. At Generous Electric, progress is not our most important product.

Sylvander

#16 Post by Sylvander »

I've been using 64-bit hardware for about 5 years or more, but...
Although I think I have 64-bit Puppies set up for use...
I'm more impressed with the performance of the 32-bit Puppies I have [and have tried]...
And my number-1 is Slacko-5.7.0-pae [32-bit].
I aught to update it, but don't know how to do it easily.
And anyway, it just keeps performing. :D

Brown Mouse

#17 Post by Brown Mouse »

Sylvander wrote:I've been using 64-bit hardware for about 5 years or more, but...
Although I think I have 64-bit Puppies set up for use...
I'm more impressed with the performance of the 32-bit Puppies I have [and have tried]...
And my number-1 is Slacko-5.7.0-pae [32-bit].
I aught to update it, but don't know how to do it easily.
And anyway, it just keeps performing. :D
Yes,I remember Slacko well but its unfriendly browser put me off along with other things.
Precise 571 and its reliability suits me for everyday play use but even that along with most Puppy's are not supported or updated apart from Tahr,for which I thank Phil for doing his utmost best with.

bigpup

#18 Post by bigpup »

bigpup wrote:
These tabs:
Activate
Desktop Icons.

When running "Puppy Event Manager".
Desktop icons->Show icons
Check "refresh / Realign existing icons".
Select OK.

Anything different?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Brown Mouse

#19 Post by Brown Mouse »

bigpup wrote:
bigpup wrote:
These tabs:
Activate
Desktop Icons.

When running "Puppy Event Manager".
Desktop icons->Show icons
Check "refresh / Realign existing icons".
Select OK.

Anything different?
Unfortunately not.

8Geee

#20 Post by 8Geee »

Try this...

MENU ---> Filesystem ---> PFind

Then type PuppyPin exactly as written and press FIND

One file should show up

Left-Click... then Right-Click and select Show Loccation

In the window that opens Right-Click on PuppyPin and select Open as text

From here you can move stuff around the screen... First number is X axis from the left of screen, 2nd is Y axis from the top of screen

When done click on Save, then close all windows.

In MENU select Shutdown then either Restart X or Restart Graphical server (depending upon exact distro) When the screen refreshes, its all done... unless you wanna twweak it some more.

Hope this helps
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."