installing ethernet card drivers

Booting, installing, newbie
ellocodiablo

installing ethernet card drivers

#1 Post by ellocodiablo »

ive got puppy 2.13 installed to the hard drive on my dell inspiron 2500 laptop,it doesnt have ethernet built in so i bought a cnet ethernet cardbus adapter.it has drivers for linux on the floppy,but i cant figure out how to install the drivers in puppy.the drivers in puppy dont work,so i cant get on the internet.i do not see an option in the wizard to use the floppy.can anyone help me with this,cause im a grade a newb?

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

What exactly is on the CD.

Does it have a text document or a README file.

Usually Linux files are provided in a compressed format such as .tar.gz which has to be uncompressed.

If the driver is in this format copy it to your hard drive, my-applications would do, and use X archive to open it, if you just click on the file Xarchive should open.

When you have opened it see if there are any instructions included and read them.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

you could try the dmfe driver ... type:

modprobe dmfe

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

First try the driver recomended in the previous post.

Then... You'll have to read. (sorry)

When the vendor ships the linux driver along with the card, it is usually in one of two ways:

- As a binary for a particular distribution. (bad bad bad and useless)
- As source to be compiled (good good good)

It needs to be compiled because a driver must "know" what linux kernel it is working with.

There must be a compressed file with a README file inside that you'll have to follow. Or maybe the README is directly in the floppy.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to