Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How do I share my internet connection?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jan 2007, 22:29    Post subject:  

It's a thread that starts out with a question and eventually arrives at an answer. That's what this forum is for. It doesn't quite qualify as a howto. Smile

Would anyone care to clean it up and contribute a "how I did it" to the Howto section?
ecomoney

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2007, 02:20    Post subject: Howto  

I would love to, if Id actually learned how to do it. As a networking newb I still cant figure this out. Its had over 1600 page views so is obviously a very popular subject. Guess I will have to wait for the wizard to hopefully be included in a future version, or firestarter to be properly compiled.

Sorry, my server is down atm!
ecomoney

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2007, 22:40    Post subject: Easy internet connection sharing  

Just some news, Gekko has successfully compiled a .pup to easily share the internet connection between two ethernet ports on a puppy pc. It can be found here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15129

Currently it is in BETA but, judging by the fact that this post is here, its working Wink

Sorry, my server is down atm!
Sage

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb 2007, 05:41    Post subject:  

In the UK at least, one can observe by the junk piles outside folks' houses, that many are renewing their central heating systems at this time, hopefully with condensing combi boilers. It occurs to me that, whilst the plumber has your floorboards up, this would be an excellent time to slip in some TP network cables and a few dozen ports around the house? Wired networks are a lot less bovver than wireless, and, as I indicated earlier, are as secure as a wire-guided missile.
RobertB

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb 2007, 21:00    Post subject: Re: Easy internet connection sharing  

ecomoney wrote:
Just some news, Gekko has successfully compiled a .pup to easily share the internet connection between two ethernet ports on a puppy pc. It can be found here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15129

Currently it is in BETA but, judging by the fact that this post is here, its working Wink

Thanks for the info! I'll see if I have time to try it out tonight... the only problem is that I have one ethernet card and a dial-up connection. Dollars to donuts it doesn't account for such an old-school setup... but it never hurts to try.
vodsonic

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb 2007, 17:27    Post subject: Re: Internet Connection Sharing  

I connect to the internet via dialup with a machine running Puppy. I'm trying to share my internet connection with one other computer, which runs SuSE 10.0

I connected the two machines' NICs with a crossover cable. Both NICs are embedded.

After setting up firewall on the Puppy box to enable internet sharing, I followed the instructions below without much trouble.

[quote="bobbyok"]
First- Set up your server machine{the one with the modem and either the firewall enabled sharing or the modified rc.local}.
Second- Fire up your client machine and go to the network wizard. Click on eth0{or whatever your eth is designated}. Click on static IP.
Enter your IP address = I use 192.168.0.10 for the laptop. This will be the IP address of your client machine...click ok. Enter your netmask = should pop up 255.255.255.0 automatically..click ok. Enter your default router = the IP address of your server machine. I have a very simple home network so mine is 192.168.0.1...click ok. Enter the IP address of a nameserver for resolving DNS names = the primary DNS IP of your internet service provider...click ok. That's it. Go to googling!
In my case I use att worldnet. I typed worldnet primary dns into google and the DNS numbers popped right up in the search. You can find most DNS numbers by going to your ISP's support webpage or simply call them and ask.
[/quote]

The SuSE box shows the NIC as active, but can't ping the Puppy box (says, "Destination host unreachable"). When I enable IP forwarding on the SuSE box, it just says "Network unreachable" when I try to ping the Puppy box.

I know how to change network settings under Linux, but don't feel like I understand all of the underlying workings very well. Also, I feel somewhat in the dark because Puppy doesn't seem to support ipconfig, so I'm not sure how to change network settings from the command line.

I don't plan to use the internet much at all on the SuSE box, but I use it to rip my CDs, so I want grip, running on the SuSE box, to be able to access Freedb to get tag information.

When setting up the firewall, I go with the default options offered by the wizard in Puppy. I don't select any services to be made available to remote hosts except ssh, which is the only one selected by default. Otherwise, I just select the obvious choices for sharing a dialup connection.

As I mentioned above, I don't know how to manually configure the network in Puppy, so I use the Network wizard to set the IP address, etc. by clicking the "Static IP" button and entering the information at the prompts. I've tried setting this up 2 ways, one leaving the DNS field blank, and one by entering the DNS servers from my ISP.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Page 3 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: