Update to How to Install Firefox

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
bruisedquasar08

Update to How to Install Firefox

#1 Post by bruisedquasar08 »

I recently tried the DaveS instructions for installing Firefox 3.4X in Puppy 4.2 -I found them very helpful but out of date.

I downloaded the newest Firefox for Linux (3.6..2) and installed it into the newest version of Puppy Linux (4.3.1).

It does matter where you download Firefox-3.6.2 .tar.bz2. Download it into Root. If you download it somewhere such as my-documents move it. Just drag the package to your desktop, open the file icon and drag firefox to Root. A box will opwn. Select "move". You can remove the triangle icon from your desktop by right clicking and selecting "remove item(s)".

Go to Root & click on the Firefox Package. The archive box will be different from the one DaveS describes. Just click "select all" and then "extract" at the top.

The last step is easier under 4.3.1 -just click the firefoxdesktop.pet package & let it install.

reboot (shut down & restart Puppy). Firefox will be in your menu, under "Internet". Click it and wait a few minutes for Firefox to open. It will not open as quickly as Seamonkey does.

--Bruised

DaveS

#2 Post by DaveS »

To make it open quickly, you have to re-master with it included. (Frugal installs anyway).
Guess its time I updated that thread :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!