Make Puppy recover automatically from improper shutdowns

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
pri

#76 Post by pri »

BarryK wrote:Handling of improper shutdown for full hd installations is now officially supported. This will apply to future puppies built from Woof.

I have announced this here:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01434

I plan to build Quirky Puppy 010 in a couple of days, so any of you guys who are interested can give it a try out. I'll announce Quirky 010 on my blog when it is available.
i am looking for update for woof, but cant find how to update ? what file is updated ? :roll: :lol: :oops:
Learning by Doing

01micko

#77 Post by 01micko »

pri wrote:
BarryK wrote:Handling of improper shutdown for full hd installations is now officially supported. This will apply to future puppies built from Woof.

I have announced this here:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01434

I plan to build Quirky Puppy 010 in a couple of days, so any of you guys who are interested can give it a try out. I'll announce Quirky 010 on my blog when it is available.
i am looking for update for woof, but cant find how to update ? what file is updated ? :roll: :lol: :oops:
pri

Do you have bones? If so, navigate to your "woof" directory and type "bones download'. It is explained on bkhome.org/bones

Cheers :)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#78 Post by BarryK »

Quirky 010 is out, so you can grab a complete distro to test the new improper shutdown handling if you wish:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01443
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

dr_tight_jocks

Laptop stops at command prompt after GRUB on reboot

#79 Post by dr_tight_jocks »

G'day SilverPuppy,

I love your efforts to this end. I'm a Unix/Linux newbie, with many years of Windows experience at both hardware and software level from my MS-DOS days to the present. I'm setting up an old Toshiba Tecra 8200 PIII laptop with 512Mb RAM & 20Gb Hdd for my elderly father-in-law to surf the net to look up past events and friends/family and possibly use webmail.

Here is what I have done so far...
  • --1. I have downloaded and completed a full hdd install of the latest Puppy 4.3.1 Seamonkey.iso install as the the only OS on the system on one partition (sda1) alongside a second Linux swap-file partition (sda2).
    --2. I have replaced my rc.sysinit & rc_shutdown files with yours and set the permissions of each file with the "chmod 755" command.
    --3. I have removed the laptop main battery and simulated a power failure where upon the system boots up to the GRUB selection screen then
    • -a. it detects the improper shutdown and reboots.
      -b. brings up GRUB menu again then checks the disk.
      -c. the system then sits at a command prompt displaying the following...
Starting up...
Making the file system usable...
Performing filesystem check after improper shutdown...puppy:inode2 ref count is 15, should be 17. FIXED.
puppy: *****REBOOT LINUX*****
puppy:14925/114804 files (0.1% non-contiguos), 323578/4590565 blocks done
Updating... done
Loading kernel modules... done
Loading swap partition /dev/sda2... done
waiting for modules to complete loading... pcmcia usb done
Setting up services (network, printing, etc)... [backgrounded]
Recognising media devices... optical done
#
    • -d. I type in "reboot" and hit enter with the screen clearing to display...
puppy is shutting down
mounted directly, session alread saved
Terminated
#
    • -e. I then manual power off via the laptop power switch.
      -f. Wait 30 seconds and manual power on via the laptop power switch.
      -g The system powers up to the GRUB menu then moves on as per normal to stop and display a XORG warning asking to "Ignore" a incomplete shutdown or to go to a "Command line".
      -h. I choose "Ignore" and it boots up correctly.
I had to edit my GRUB menu.lst file to add pfix=force to allow the laptop to automatically shutdown the power after a "Shutdown" of the X GUI. This works fine prior to installing your files and after it. They are the only changes I have made since the full Hdd install of Puppy 4.3.1.
So, my question is is this a known problem and can you suggest a possible work around?

I look forward to any pertinent advice.

The Doctor

Newuser

#80 Post by Newuser »

Hi there I am new to puppy and I need some serious help in the 36 hrs puppy has crashed when using firefox,seamonkey, the pc has froze and being new I have not know how to recover from this so yes I did the reset button on my case and everytime puppy has not loaded past the # sign I tried dl the files and tried to make puppy execute it but I crashed again. I am not going to do any updating of puppy until I can get this crashing and being able to reboot down to a art form. So could someone point me in the right direction of installing these file correctly and any other file which is zipped many thanks.

Pc has crashed 5 times had to reinstall everytime