Text screen corruption on shutdown... what does it say?

Booting, installing, newbie
technicalbloke

Text screen corruption on shutdown... what does it say?

#1 Post by technicalbloke »

Hi guys,

I'm 90% done installing puppy on an ancient Sony PIIx233 PCG-C1S sub notebook (I hope). The problem is once I have completed the install procedure I select shutdown and it drops to a text screen which is utterly garbled. I have uploaded a screenshot of this here:

http://www.technicalbloke.com/puppy_lin ... uption.jpg

When I'm using this machine I will have the GUI running so the textmode corruption itself is not a big issue, however I'd like to know what instructions and options these screens are giving me so...

A) What do these screens say?

B) Is there an easy way to fix the problem?

Many thanks,

Roger.

PS: IF anyone here's running puppy on one of these I could also use an xorg config / modeline for it's oddball 1024x480px screen ;)

CatDude

Re: Text screen corruption on shutdown... what does it say?

#2 Post by CatDude »

Hello technicalbloke

Welcome to the kennels.
technicalbloke wrote: PS: IF anyone here's running puppy on one of these I could also use an xorg config / modeline for it's oddball 1024x480px screen ;)
Maybe this will help: xorgconf-for-sony-vaio-pcg-c1

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

technicalbloke

Thanks!

#3 Post by technicalbloke »

Thanks CatDude, that looks like exactly what I need to get X running straight :)

Didn't figure out what that text was, I got bored waiting and hit enter 7 times then it powered off, I hope those were sensible default options I was setting there!

Will let you know how I get on with the xorg stuff.

Cheers,

Roger - technicalbloke.com

CatDude

#4 Post by CatDude »

Hello technicalbloke
technicalbloke wrote: Thanks CatDude, that looks like exactly what I need to get X running straight Smile
No problem, all it took was a quick google search.
technicalbloke wrote: Didn't figure out what that text was, I got bored waiting and hit enter 7 times then it powered off, I hope those were sensible default options I was setting there!
You did not say what Puppy version you installed (or what kind of install you did), so i did a quick test (using QEMU).

I made a FULL install of Puppy-430, and after selecting to shutdown, i got the following screens come up.
I think they are pretty much the norm for most puppy versions, although the very last one 8.jpg is not in all versions (IIRC),
and probably not in your version as you only needed to hit Enter seven times (not eight)

In all instances, i just hit Enter with the default selections.

Hope this helps (somehow :roll: )
CatDude
Attachments
1.jpg
(38.22 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
2.jpg
(19.8 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
3.jpg
(28.61 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
4.jpg
(19.3 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
5.jpg