How to rescue data from Windows Vista?

Booting, installing, newbie
mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Well wading through this post it seems like puppy is not recognising the usb cd/dvd drive properly....a not uncommon bug..,..I do believe you are now making the cd/dvd correctly.

I don't think a remote access software will work on a system that won't boot.

I would suggest rescue software that is more compatible with your hardware setup...puppy is not working for you it would seem.

mike

Trobin

#17 Post by Trobin »

Teamwork will not work. No matter how good it is it will not work on a computer that will not boot..

Now that you know how to burn an ISO image, the following might help get the Sony going.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... -have-one/

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-v ... -download/

The following is a link to Slaxer Pup, based on Puppy 412 but with more hardware detection goodies. It had no problem finding SDA1 on my Dell inspiron. I don’t guarantee but it may help you.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 25&t=41298
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

cthisbear

#18 Post by cthisbear »

" Teamwork will not work. "

Teamviewer.

As I understand it he's booting off another comp to
download Puppy...and then burn it.
Then he will boot the broken computer.

" have another computer
with a Windows Vista Operating System
and can (hopefully) burn the cd on that.
The instructions state that you need to change the BIOS
to prioritize from floppy or dvd/cd drive first
to override the c disk problem that is preventing
the existing operating system from booting. "

Chris.

Trobin

#19 Post by Trobin »

It is rather difficult to understand what he is saying. My understanding is that he has two computers, a Sony and a Toshiba. He was going to get rid of the Toshiba but now nthe Sony won't boot. So he wants to download and burn the ISO on the Toshiba and use it to get files off the Sony.

Either way, unless there's a third computer somewhere Teamviewer won't work.
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

ebhutton1717

Rescuing Data From Windows Vista Operating System

#20 Post by ebhutton1717 »

I burned puppy linux 2.16 to a dvd - the dvd drive opened and indications were that is was complete. I slowed the speed of the burn. I used Burncdcc because it is the only dvd/cd iso burning program I can figure out how to slow the burn speed with.

I had the dvd in the drive when attempted to boot the computer.

This time the dvd was read and it gets as far as:

Now executing "init" script in initial ramdisk...
(Note: initial-ramdisk is retained and in /initrd after bootup)
Loading kjkjernal modules...

Then it sits there until the screen goes blank again. Nothing is happening with the processor light.

I have read and reread the instructions given to me. I am going to check to make sure I chose the correct Linux 2.16 program.

What could be the problem. This really should be so simple - I know from experience.

ebhutton1717

Similar Topic - ?

#21 Post by ebhutton1717 »

I tried to get a more recent version of puppy linux than the 2.16 as per the puppy linux instruction page. The puppy linux 2.16 was recommended in the instructions of the forum.

Now my user name is not recognized and I can not get connected to any of the links that were provided on the forum instructions where I got the 2.16 from.

I used my user id and password to post these replies.

I am using google chrome because Opera is not working properly - says search produced these top 10 results and nothing is there.

Why use opera? I prefer google chrome - it has excellent window organization - can add windows like file folders on related topics and keep topics seperated running seperate chrome connections.

Also, it is easier on my Vista operating system to find downloaded files.

It is also the easiest copy and paste I have found.

azstew

#22 Post by azstew »

When Vista tries to boot, does it Blue screen?

If so, copy the error code and google/dogpile/search for it.

If this is the error code...............0X0000C1F5...............

Then go here, and follow the instructions.
http://www.delmartian.com/nullpointers/ ... 46084.html

D/L SystemRescueCD http://sysresccd.org/Main_Page
and burn it on the computer that works.

I too recommend BurnCDCC http://burncdcc.en.softonic.com/

I just fixed a Dell that would not boot to the HDD.

I wasn't able to repair the install, but was able to do a clean install, without reformatting.

All the old data was retained in a folder named \oldwindows, but applications needed to be re-installed.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

ebhutton1717

Puppy 17.1 is Sort of Running, Except

#23 Post by ebhutton1717 »

I posted this earlier. I was tired after all the burns and install efforts.

Got a download of Puppy Linux 17.1 that burned and installed accurately.

Problem is, I can not get to my files on the disc. I get things I do not recognize. Can not get WiFi connection, can not get the files from an installation cd for a data transfer cable to be recognizable or to install.

Not exactly solving the problem.

ebhutton1717

Burn dvd Slower

#24 Post by ebhutton1717 »

I forgot to mention in case anyone else is having similar difficulties.

It could have been a different download - via google chrome that did not require bitorrent. Or it could have been that I was instructed to burn the dvd at 32 and I tried burning it at 16.

The dvd that booted was burned at 16.

ebhutton1717

Another version successfully booted - similar difficulties

#25 Post by ebhutton1717 »

Puppy Linux 4.31 burned at 16 successfully booted. This program shows two icons for the internal drive - with different files. I can recognize on one of them some program files - have not found any data files. It also recognized the external drive for which I can get to and recognize the files. Those are not the ones I need to rescue....

The operating system did not recognize the Toshiba with the data transfer cable connected.

I inserted the installation cd for the data transfer cable. I followed the path for the installation software on the toshiba. I get error:

No run action specified for files of this type (application/x-ms-dos-executable) - you can set a run action by choosing "Set Run Action" from the file menu, or you can just drag the file to an application.

There is no 'Set Run Action' option in the file menu.

Drag the file to where?

I do not get errors - I simply do not see any paths to the files on my computer except a few Sony installed programs that do not help.

diaeresis

#26 Post by diaeresis »

puppy linux will not recognise or run a windows .exe file.

If you can see the hard drive that you are trying to recover the files and data from then you should be able to see all the data and files that you have in Vista.
You might find that you have to poke around to find them but if they are there you will see them.

I have to be honest, I am a bit confused as to what you are doing.

If I am reading all this correctly you now have a working Puppy cd and have got puppy running on one of your computers.

Have you got Puppy working on the computer that was not booting Vista (the sony right)?
If you have then can you see any of the Vista files and folders after clicking on the hard drive icon or icons.
On my Puppy desktop I can see three icons at the bottom left of the desktop. One is my floppy drive marked sd0 and two are my hard drives, marked sda1 and sda5 respectively.

If you have managed to get Puppy running on the non-working computer you should have at least one icon marked sda(something, probably 1)
If you click on this you should be able to see all of your Windows Vista folders and files.

How you are going to are going to back them up is beyond me right now. But if you can see them then you are getting somewhere.

If both laptops have wireless networking capabilities you could set up a wireless network and transfer files between them that way. But it sounds like you will be trying to network one laptop running Windows and one laptop running Puppy. Which will probably give you headaches.

Does Puppy find and set up any wireless network devices on the sony? (Click on menu and then network and then pwireless wireless scanner or xautoconnect to wireless network.)

If you can get any results like this maybe you can manage to transfer files between the two laptops.
You will have to have the Toshiba on and have it's wireless network device up and running as well remember.

I have to admit that if I was trying this i would put Puppy on both computers (try burning another Puppy cd and putting it in the toshiba) and connect them together with a crossover Lan cable. The Lan cable must be a crossover cable not a straight through cable. Your local computer shop should be able to help you out. If necessary take both laptops with you and ask for a crossover Lan cable to connect them together.

Once you have both computers running Puppy and a cable between them go to menu setup network wizard on one and click your way through and then do the same on the second computer. You "should" end up with two laptops talking to each other and you "should" have the ability to transfer folders and files from one to the other.

Or not, which is also quite possible given the weather we have been having recently.

ebhutton1717

Rescuing Data Through Puppy Linux

#27 Post by ebhutton1717 »

When I boot Puppy Linux on the Sony, I get two hard drive icons. The only files I can recognize are a few from factory installation on the Sony - they are clearly labeled Sony files.

There is a possiblity I have been considering, though this should not have occurred, that some data was erased during attempts to run the Microsoft/Sony installed data rescue program that is not functioning properly.

Getting the files off the Sony can be done to an external drive - or atleast most of them. Puppy Linux recognizes the external drive and I can recognize the files on that.

The Microsoft/Sony program was not supposed to delete specific files that I can not find according to the file - certain partitions were supposed to be protected. These and the files that I am trying to get from the drive I can not recognize and I have searched and searched.

I was also not able to connect to the internet. I do not recognize that those choices for internet connection - then I do not have it running at this moment.

Also, will that Ian cable work once I get Windows Vista running on the Sony again. I recently purchased a data transfer cable that is supposed to allow communication from an XP to a Vista or from a Vista to a Vista - they claim specific software is needed. This is with out internet.

The internet transfer program on the Vista is almost worthless. They have it set up for this stupid automated syncronization. They do that also with external devices like MP3 Players. What occurs is that almost everything on the computer or in specific partitions or in a combination of partitions start automatically transfering over. And most times there is, as would be for obvious reasons, not sufficient storage on the device that the data is being copied over to.

I do not recomend Windows Vista to anyone.

diaeresis

#28 Post by diaeresis »

I belive the usb data transfer cables are faster than a Lan but you do need extra software. with a simple Lan cable it is just a matter of using network connection wizard.

If you can't see the files then they ain't there! Possibly hosed by the recovery software as you suggest. Puppy should be able to see all windows files and folders, even hidden ones, in my (limited) experience. So if you can't see them you are probably screwed.
You might be able to get them with some windows boot disk type tools. I am certain there are tools available for hard drive data recovery but would need to google to give you exact details.
From memory Hirrens Boot Cd might have something or possibly TinyXP?

Try googling for hard drive recovery software. I doubt anything you find will be easy to use as they will probably all work from a prompt, but good luck.

I have just googled hard drive recovery software and got stacks of hits so a bit of searching should help you out I hope.

Like I said,
Good Luck!

cthisbear

#29 Post by cthisbear »

Freeware Data Retrieval

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=Freew ... _retrieval

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1278963

"I use this.

GetDataBack.for.NTFS

I have had to use it 9 times now haha.

5 times for friends and 4 times for myself ( 2 x 500gb hdd's and 2 x 1TB hdd's)

Works a charm, recovered everything. "

////////////

http://forum.easeus.com/viewtopic.php?p ... 673b6f9453

Chris.

vaughnzipper

I know I'm a little late but I need some help.... PLEASE?!?!

#30 Post by vaughnzipper »

Ok, so I've received a ton of help and advice just from reading other posts. I was hanging onto the edge of my seat because my question was about to be answered but suddenly things got off topic and so here I am making my first post.

I have successfully rebooted my computer with puppy linux (pup-431) but 2 things:

1) It won't recognize my external hard drive so I can save the files from my crashed vista.

2) Most importantly, I have no idea how to find my files????

I am trying my very best to be more tech savvy but have not been very successful. What I told is as far as I have got. Linux is running on my crashed vista but I can't get it to recognize my external hard drive (simpletech 250gb portable) to transfer the files on my crashed vista... which as I mentioned earlier, I can not find.

The only icons that seem to be unique to the common icons are ones that are lined up along the bottom of the desktop...

sda1, sda2, sda3, sda5, sr0 (this one has an image of a cd entering the drive, the others do not... not sure if that means anything)

Any help would be much appreciated!

deamonknight

#31 Post by deamonknight »

I'm a repair tech at a Retail computer store, I think I can help you. First, lets make sure I understand the situation.

1.) Are you running Linux of ANY flavor regularly on any of you machines? Or is your first experince with Linux and/or Puppy just trying to recovery your data? (from what you are saying I get the sense that it is the latter)

2.) "Crashed" means many things to many people,so exactly what error are you seeing when you try to load Vista? This is important. Since you can get puppy running I DON'T think you are suffering a critical hardware failure (CPU/RAM/Mainboard/Vidcard), but if you are, then no operating system (Linux/Windows/MAC OS/FreeBSD etc.) will run properly. Hopefully you only have a corrupted OS, rather than failing hardware. If your HardDrive is failing, you may be able to load puppy but not read the contents of the failing disk.

3.) You say you cannot find you external Harddrive. Is it USB? Are you sure its plugged in? Obvious question but lets cover the basics.

In a windows system, Hard drives are Identified by partition, with a letter. The Partition with the Windows OS is almost Always C:, additional partitions the get addition letter (D:, E:, F;, etc.), even if the are on the same physical hard drive, other drives, floppy and CD/DVD. also get letters. Most windows computer have two or 3 partitions, a c: drive that has most of the space and an additional section that has the restore utility (this is usually hidden from the user), some may even have a 3rd, having the space on the primary drive divided into two equal sections, one for the OS and the other as a D: drive so you can wipe the OS drive (c:) and still have a data drive intact. This is common on Sony's

Linux does things differently, Identifying the first partition on the first physical disk as /sda1, the second partition on the first disk as /sda2, and the second partition on the second disk as /sdb2 and so on; so it will be /sd [letter of physical disk] {Partition Number}/ (there is more on how this works in linux on the internet but that should be enough info for now)

From what you describe,
sda1, sda2, sda3, sda5, sr0
sr0 should be the CD/DVD drive, not what we are looking for. The other 4 entires appear to be partitions 1,2,3 and 4 on the first hard disk in your computer, suggesting you have 3 primary partitons and and extended partition. This is not usual on most setups unless you are or were dual booting. If you have 4 partitions on your external Hard Drive, this might make sense if you are Only seeing the external drive and the internal drive is not show because it has failed,

Otherwise , I would expect your external Hard Drive to show up as /sdb1/ or similar

If sda is your internal Hard Drive, the single largest partition is likely your C:\ drive. so of sda1 ..2 ..3 and ..5 what is the largest?

In Windows Vista your personal data is saved in your User Account's "My Documents" directory, or the "My Pictures, My Music" and so on, sub-directories in "My Documents". So if your account was "John" and you were looking for John's "My Pictures" it would be located in C:\Users\John\My documents\My Pictures\ . Or possibly C:\Users\John\John's documents\My Pictures\ In Puppy, C:\ is instead one of sda1, ..2, ..3, ..5, the above example becomes "/sda2/Users/John/My documents/My Pictures/" so you need to look for a "Users" directory in one of those entries.

However, that is Only the Default, since you can save files anywhere you want you may have to hunt around for it.

Hope that helps.

vaughnzipper

Holy crap! You have to be the greatest deamon ever!

#32 Post by vaughnzipper »

Where do I begin??? Thanks a million for the extremely appreciated prompt response!

The external hard drive I was using is a USB. My wife borrowed it from her mother and it just wouldn't show up. So after I wrote my post I ran over to Best Buy and picked up my own. It works! It is now showing on my linux desktop... which I have downloaded for the purpose of recovering the files from my inoperable hard drive.

What got me started on this whole journey was when I tried to boot up my Dell Inspiron 1521 yesterday I kept getting a message somewhere along the lines of "can not find windows... start system normally or start system repair". Either one would not solve the problem and I could not get out of the system repair. I finally called Dell (still under warranty) and after an hour they concluded (through a system test that was done under F2) that the hard drive had failed and they are sending me a new one free of charge tomorrow. Problem is I have thousands of pictures and doc's I can't lose (just had my first child 3 months ago:)) which has led me to this site and the current state I'm in.

I did try snooping around the files on the linux desktop but the only thing I can find that relates to my failed hard drive is my User (Trinners). I open it up and it brings up several files (music, pictures, my docs, etc), but when I open those they are empty. That might be the way it's supposed to be but I'm just not experienced enough to know that.

You asked which file size is the largest. Here's the breakdown that shows up in the "partview" window...

sda1 55M, sda2 5.6G, sda3 24.6G, sda5 895M, sr0 578M.

sda3 is the only one that shows my User name (Trinners)... is that my C drive then? I'm just assuming but that doesn't always work out for me.

Also while I'm at it, could you let me know what is necessary to transfer over? Or better yet, what is not necessary to transfer? Is it a bad idea to just take all 4 drives (sda1,2,3,5) and transfer them onto my hdd? I'm showing my real immaturity by asking that but I just can't stomach failing and then having to take this to someone and have to pay to do something I'm able (hopefully) to do on my own.

Honestly deamonknight, thanks a million for your help! I'm sure you have better things to do then help a dweeb like me.

cthisbear

#33 Post by cthisbear »

vaughnzipper :

It's quite possible that you selected Xorg...
and your drives won't show up.
Sometimes it happens.

Try Xvesa...select the resolution ...1024 x 768.

Now the drives should show up.

Open up 2 Rox file managers as per my previous posts here.

If you indeed tried Xvesa first...
go for Xorg.

Ah! computers.

Chris.

deamonknight

#34 Post by deamonknight »

OK, we need to accept that since your HDD is failing some or all of your data may already be lost. I suspect you have a 30GB HDD (although that sounds EXTREMELY low for a new computer, so you may be seeing used space rather than total space), try launching the console (Menu>Utility>Rxtv terminal emulator). From the The window that opens Type "df -h" (without quotes) and post the output. Doing this will not affect any data on the system.

I believe sda3 is your C:\ drive (should have a windows directory in it) sda1 and sda5 are likely utility partitions and sda2 is probably your OS restore partition.

Assuming this is all correct, and you are the only user for this system I would expect your data to be in /sda3/Users/Trinners/My Documents/ . Copying that should get everything. Try that, or copy your entire /Users/ directory. You should be OK in Copying Everything from all the drives just to be sure you don't miss anything, but if the disk is failing you may succeed only in copying some data you Don't need, (OS & Programs files) and have the disk fail completely before you get your personal data.

Have you looked in the Trinners directory? Does it appear to have the data you need? Thats the best test.

-Hope this helps. And if you are still stuck, don't be too afraid to pay someone to help you, It means guys like me get to keep their Job!

vaughnzipper

#35 Post by vaughnzipper »

cthisbear, thanks for the tip! I started it up in versa and I can find my files! HUGE sigh! One question, what are "rox" files? I searched through your previous posts (quick scanning at least) but couldn't find that topic anywhere. If I'm finding my files I'm assuming maybe that doesn't apply now?

deamon, from what I can tell it is just used space... I should have 200gb. I can't figure out how to launch that sequence you suggested? Sorry, next to you guys I'm a peon, I probably should know how to do that. I did however try loading the system using xversa like cthisbear suggested, and when I do I am able to find my pictures and doc's. That might have been my problem. You suggested to just pull over my whole user file. Just me being me, will that pull ALL files I initiated (pictures, docs, music, etc) to my laptop and transfer them to my external? I'm assuming the answer is yes but like you re-iterated I want to make sure I get everything.

Thank you all very much, a huge help!

btw deamon, if you lived anywhere in the state of Utah I would pay you to fix my problem :)