dpup-482beta testing

vtpup

#271 Post by vtpup »

uhhhh, how do I remove wbar.....

gposil

#272 Post by gposil »

Is wbar causing problems...

If you wan't to stop it, just remove or move /root/Startup/wstart to somewhere else, and comment out the following lines in /usr/local/apps/Wallpaper/set_bg...like so
#killall wbar &&
#/root/Startup/wstart
#cd /
Regards the geany/mrxvt problem...I have tracked down that it is a scintilla problem, which is the sourceview highlighting component of Geany...it is apparently being worked on as we speak...Until they fix Geany, you could use dpup's Parcellite...works fine with everything. I don't really wan't to ditch mrxvt just because of this Geany problem...do you...
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

vtpup

#273 Post by vtpup »

gposil wrote:Is wbar causing problems...
Thanks gposil. Not big problems -- overlaying some desktop icons that I can't get to anymore. And not actually displaying icons I use frequently, so requiring work to set up. But I could probably solve those if I wanted to.

No, just a matter of personal preference. I just don't like it. No biggie. To each his/her own! :D

gposil

#274 Post by gposil »

Jim1911 wrote:If you remove the tick marks in the Desktop Drive Icons manager and restart X, pmount will not work. It opens normally, but when you try to mount a partition, it closes without mounting the partition.

If you leave icons on the desktop, (tick marks present), pmount works properly.
I have fixed this problem in beta5..I think, at least it doesn't do it for me anymore....add the following to /etc/profile
LC_ALL=C
export LC_ALL
Hope that fixes that...
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

sinc

#275 Post by sinc »

I am not sure if the geany/mrxvt issue is strictly with debian or not but copy and paste between the 2 works in ttuuxxx's 2.14x16. maybe he has the solution.

gposil

#276 Post by gposil »

Well guys, i've just finished compiling Abiword 2.8 in beta5, and I have got to say, I think they've got it right. It's smaller, faster and have not had a single GTK error all afternoon. I haven't compiled all the plugins yet, but over the standard formats and spell-check built-in, I think the only plug-in people will want is docx. Word, Open-Office, new and old format RTF are built-in now so no need for those plug-ins....

I'll upload it in an hour or so...try it and I think you'll agree it's a vast improvement. I'll put it in the upgrades section in beta4 download area.

http://dpup.org/test/dpup482beta4-2.6.30.5/upgrades/

Cheers
Guy

BTW: We'll be the first distro with it.... :)
Attachments
abiword-2.8.jpg
Here it is
(13.83 KiB) Downloaded 816 times

01micko

#277 Post by 01micko »

Hi Guy

Sounds good :)

Can you post ./configure options so I can learn where I went wrong? (PM if you like)

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

clarf

#278 Post by clarf »

Hi boys,

I have this kernel panic error at boot using VMWare and dpup-482 beta3.

I can boot with RAM only parameter and create my pupsave file at shutdown. I also can access to dpup, choose the created pupsave file and work but after a new boot I get this error:

Any idea?

Greetings,
clarf
Attachments
dpup_482-beta3-boot_error.gif
dpup crash at boot - init kernel panik
(27.32 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Last edited by clarf on Thu 29 Oct 2009, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

vtpup

#279 Post by vtpup »

re.Abiword 2.8

This is what I get on opening an .odt file (Open Office 3.0).

Also a similar jumble when I open a .doc file generated by Open Office 3.
Attachments
Abiw2-6Odt.jpg
(36.5 KiB) Downloaded 819 times

vtpup

#280 Post by vtpup »

Here's a test of Abiword vs Microsoft Word 2000.

The document was created in Abiword and opened in Word.

The line made of underline characters in Abi breaks and wraps when viewed in Word.

Table column widths are not consistent in Abi after a save and re-open -they were originally all the same width. Word does show them as the same width.

Typestyles are not preserved -- even for the simplest translation of serif to serif font -- as web browsers do when unable to locate an exact font match.

I do technical writing and occasional resumes for people. This kind of thing will wreak havoc with document formatting when carried through several pages of carefully prepared documentation.

Unfortunately such documents are all handled electronically now, so the sender is unaware of the impression he/she has created in the recipient. The recipient is unaware that the document was prepared on a non-MS word program. They just assume it's a mess. People lose job opportunities over this kind of thing. And they don't even know why.

Unfortunately all non-Microsoft generated .doc programs have these problems -- Open Office, too. They simply cannot be used for the purpose of sending .doc files in any professional or publications setting -- even though .doc compatibility is a major drawing point for the software.

I had hoped Abiword would have solve this in the latest version. I hope the same for every OO version as well. But even basic text formatting has never been really compatible.

I think that with things the way they are, a copy of the latest version of Wine is of great value to any serious word processing professional, much as I wish that wasn't true, so compatible documents can be generated for publishing.

I put Wine on my puplet MediaPup, and I wonder if any official Puppy will ever carry it as well?

This is the only area where I think Linux cannot replace MS. Unless OO or someone else really makes the effort.
Attachments
abi-msword.jpg
(61.71 KiB) Downloaded 840 times

01micko

#281 Post by 01micko »

Hmmm.

Run action for a *.jpg file is set to "defaultpaint". Can we change that to "defaultimageviewer" by default? And while on the topic, "defaultimageviewer" is set to "gview", can we change that to "fotox"? (I have :) )

Another thing, /etc/puppyversion is still the old "476". Barry says it is deprecated, but I still find it useful. To create (ie update) it run..

Code: Select all

grep "DISTRO_VERSION=" /etc/DISTRO_SPECS | cut -d "=" -f2 | awk '{print $1}' > /etc/puppyversion
in a terminal.

Cheers

MinHundHettePerro

#282 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

gposil wrote:I have fixed this problem in beta5..I think, at least it doesn't do it for me anymore....add the following to /etc/profile
LC_ALL=C
export LC_ALL
Hope that fixes that...
What if one sets the locale? Haven't tried, just wondering ...
There was a similar LC-issue with 214X, a few months back.

Cheers :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

01micko

#283 Post by 01micko »

Ok, having a play with a wbar gui, this is only the start... just for testing and some feedback.

Extract the folder where ever you like and click "wbar-setup" script. The gui will appear with options to change wbars position and properties. By clicking apply, wbar will be restarted with your new settings.

Note:::: Icon changing has not been implemented yet! So no need to ask!!! It will be :)

Cheers
Attachments
wbargui.jpg
(27.87 KiB) Downloaded 841 times
wbarstuff.jpg
(8.66 KiB) Downloaded 765 times
wbarstuff.tar.gz
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 328 times

vtpup

#284 Post by vtpup »

Nice, 01micko! You might convince me yet to use it.

But how about an option to turn it off, as well? Right now that requires script editing, and filename editing or deletion.

New different problem:

EPDF Viewer

In PDF Viewer 0.1.6 the pdf viewer gets stuck in upper left of my screen with the upper bar offscreen so I can't minimize or close it with the mouse, Worse, right clicking at the top doesn't bring up the Send To, Resize, Close, Kill menu. Possibly because the cursor can't make it to the top bar of the window. I can't seem to move it in any way.

However, I am able to right click on its tab in the bottom screen bar, then click "Move" and then get it away from the top of the screen. After that, when I open the program, it opens wherever I last left it, which is fine.

But if the initial position is where it first opens when Puppy is installed, or when first run off the CD, then it will confuse a lot of new users.

I can't be sure that's where it was on first use -- it is possible I somehow maneuvered it up there, but I don't think that was the case. Anyway, maybe a thing to check is where it opens on a new install and if possible correct that behavior.

Jim1911

#285 Post by Jim1911 »

gposil wrote:Well guys, i've just finished compiling Abiword 2.8 in beta5, and I have got to say, I think they've got it right. It's smaller, faster and have not had a single GTK error all afternoon.
I've played around with it using a MS Word 2003 doc of over 100 pages and it passed with flying colors.

Thanks,
Jim

vtpup

#286 Post by vtpup »

Reading genuine MSWord docs is usually not a problem for any of these WP programs.. It's the writing where they spring up. Make some changes to the Word doc in abiword -- move some margins, type some new text into it, add a table. Then save it, and open it in MSWord, and compare the results. Sometimes even doing nothing, but re-saving a document changes it.

gposil

#287 Post by gposil »

vtpup,

In your Abiword tests, were you using the same fonts in both, and do you have the MS fonts installed, in my testing, having the MS fonts installed makes a world of difference.

On the epdf viewer problem, that is my fault, wherever I opened it in testing is where it was saved...ooops...i'll have to go through that and make sure the initial opening points are desktop central...

Mick
Run action for a *.jpg file is set to "defaultpaint". Can we change that to "defaultimageviewer" by default? And while on the topic, "defaultimageviewer" is set to "gview", can we change that to "fotox"? (I have Smile )

Another thing, /etc/puppyversion is still the old "476". Barry says it is deprecated, but I still find it useful. To create (ie update) it run..
Fixed in beta5 Mick, thanks...and yes the wbar config gui would be a great addition...

Oh, and Mick the configure I used for Abiword is below:
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-plugins="sdw mswrite kword bmp wmf pdf openwriter"
Cheers
Guy

PS. Are there any more outstanding fixes we need to do.

vtpup

#288 Post by vtpup »

gposil wrote:vtpup,
In your Abiword tests, were you using the same fonts in both, and do you have the MS fonts installed, in my testing, having the MS fonts installed makes a world of difference.
I used Times New Roman from msttcorefonts in abiword for the test below. It helped with the underline breaking, but nothing else. Notice the difference in column widths in the table, and also the row 4 height. Also notice that the Abiword shows bold text on the second entry, while MSWord doesn't.

I also just tried the same document in Open Office with Times New Roman and it exactly agrees with the MSWord interpretation, not Abiword's.

It actually looks like Abiword is misrendering its own document, since column widths were created uniform in width when the doc was written in Abiword, but when opened later showed variation in width.

Oh, well -- this isn't really your problem, as it is an app bug, not dpup's.
Attachments
TNRDocTest.jpg
(61.2 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times

01micko

#289 Post by 01micko »

Ok thanks for the config options Guy.

The wbar gui is coming along, it should be quite configurable, although a little complex, (so many options :roll: :lol: ). I added a button to kill wbar if you desire (ty vtpup :wink: ) and I have to handle it with a few different guis,,, way to messy otherwise, I will include a detailed help file, it should not end up bigger than 10k compressed (I hope). Does anyone use wbar on the side? I didn't think so, so top and bottom are it!!

I hope to have an alpha (complete) out over the weekend for testing, so I can't see it being ready until beta 6.

Cheers

dejan555

#290 Post by dejan555 »

For turning wbar on/off, maybe just make startup script executable or non executable...
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]