Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Sep 2014, 12:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lighthouse Pup 4.43 Gu2 215M
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 42 of 46 [684 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 Next
Author Message
Jim1911

Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 2457
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Fri 23 Apr 2010, 16:17    Post subject:  

Hi tazoc,

Take a look at Startmount-0.5.3 - 01micko and tasmod's which allows selective mount of individual partitions and starting of programs. A big help for me because I always want to mount only one other partition in addition to home. It is working well on my LHP installations.

Jim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7802
Location: qld

PostPosted: Fri 23 Apr 2010, 19:52    Post subject:  

Thanks for the recommendation Jim Smile

TazOC,

Joe wing has updated JWM again to 490, fixes some keyboard issues. Source here

Compiles in a jiffy on lupu but fribidi must be disabled, however if you need that compiled in BarryK has a hack on his blog here

Cheers

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
tazoc


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1157
Location: Lower Columbia Basin WA US

PostPosted: Fri 23 Apr 2010, 22:30    Post subject:  

Q5sys, Jim1911 and 01micko,
Thanks for the tips. I'm testing ROX 2.10 from git and JWM 489. I'll give JWM 490 a try as well--I didn't know about Fribidi.

Q5sys, you're right, it would be nice if ROX had back and forward buttons and the other features also. But it is quick and I love how it shows recently changed files in bold text. I find the properties dialog more helpful than on any other file manager. I tend to use the up button and Bookmarks | Recently visited menu without thinking about it.

The SFS ideas you posted sound interesting. If you need somewhere to upload you could PM Caneri as many Puppians have space on his server at puppylinux.asia, or myself if you'd like to use lhpup.org.

Pete22,
Glad the Gu3 pet works for you. It was very small in size--ideal for a PET rather than rebuilding the ISO. I noticed the subject on your post "Grub install is broken", and was wondering if that was in LHP; if so what file system type was the partition chosen and was there an error code? GRUB is great when it works but can be tough to diagnose when it doesn't.
TazOC

_________________
lhpup.org Lighthouse 64 6.02
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1049

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2010, 00:10    Post subject:  

tazoc wrote:
Q5sys, Jim1911 and 01micko,
Thanks for the tips. I'm testing ROX 2.10 from git and JWM 489. I'll give JWM 490 a try as well--I didn't know about Fribidi.

Q5sys, you're right, it would be nice if ROX had back and forward buttons and the other features also. But it is quick and I love how it shows recently changed files in bold text. I find the properties dialog more helpful than on any other file manager. I tend to use the up button and Bookmarks | Recently visited menu without thinking about it.

The SFS ideas you posted sound interesting. If you need somewhere to upload you could PM Caneri as many Puppians have space on his server at puppylinux.asia, or myself if you'd like to use lhpup.org.


I hadnt noticed Barry's post about Rox 2.10. I compiled it from source pulled directly from the rox site. The only issue with it that I had was, that apparently the icons needed to be in a different place than they currently where in my system, because none of the icons rendered at all. Other than that, I didnt have any problems with it at all.
As for using Bash 4.1 it seems to work fine, but I have yet to do a full reboot with it in place. Thats on the adjenda this weekend.

As far as the 'recently visited menu', I had never heard of that before, so I went digging and found it. That'll solve my forward and back quirks. Cut/Paste will still annoy me, as well not being able to quiet overwriting/merging. Well... at least thats one annoyance down. Smile

As for a place to host things, I dont care really where I can put any sfs files I make. If I can put it somewhere and someone else can benefit from it... great. Since I use LHP, it might make a bit more sense if the SFS files are there, as thats the OS I am testing them on and can confirm that they dont have any conflicts (or at least none that ive found yet).

Last edited by Q5sys on Mon 26 Apr 2010, 00:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
gcmartin

Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 4276
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr 2010, 22:17    Post subject: Lighthouse Pup 4.43 Gu2 215M  

I'm new here. Saw this project and it seems interesting.

But, I'm trying to understand Lighthouse and Mariner and now even the new GU3 Pet.

What is the installation instructions once you have LightHouse?
Can I install these 3 as a part of a LIveCD session?
How would you proceed?

Thanks in advance....

_________________
Get ACTIVE Create Circles; Do those good things which benefit people's needs!
We are all related ... Its time to show that we know this!
3 Different Puppy Search Engine or use DogPile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
tazoc


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1157
Location: Lower Columbia Basin WA US

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr 2010, 18:02    Post subject: Re: Lighthouse Pup 4.43 Gu2 215M  

gcmartin wrote:
I'm new here. Saw this project and it seems interesting.
Hi and welcome!
Quote:
But, I'm trying to understand Lighthouse and Mariner and now even the new GU3 Pet.

What is the installation instructions once you have LightHouse?
Can I install these 3 as a part of a LIveCD session?
From Tips | Installation: The Mariner ISO is also a Live-CD but it includes SFS add-ons (separate from the main file) that need a Frugal Install. SFS (Squash File System) add-ons are compressed software files that are layered into the file system at boot up from a Frugal Install, not a full install.

The SFS add-ons are not available in LiveCD mode because saving your session to a 'pupsave' file and rebooting is required. It is possible to remaster a LiveCD with the add-ons inside the main file, however that would increase boot-up time and might be problematic (wouldn't fit in RAM) on low-spec machines. I think you'll like the frugal install method once you've tried it. It's great for backups and easier to upgrade and maintain.

The G update3 pet can be installed at anytime on a LHP 4.43 Gu2 system by clicking on it in ROX-Filer (File System Icon).
-TazOC

_________________
lhpup.org Lighthouse 64 6.02
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
gcmartin

Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 4276
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr 2010, 19:24    Post subject: Lighthouse Pup 4.43 Gu2 215M  

@tazoc Thanks

I think I understand what you intend here. But let me ask the following:
    Does Mariner have everything that LH's iso has, plus more?
    Is there any reason why I could not save Mariner's file requirements back to the multi-session DVD that I boot with?
    Is there a way at boot time to, then, request which "SFS" to boot?

Where do I get the Mariner ISO? ( see the reference, but not sure where to download for "Mariner")
thx

_________________
Get ACTIVE Create Circles; Do those good things which benefit people's needs!
We are all related ... Its time to show that we know this!
3 Different Puppy Search Engine or use DogPile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1049

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr 2010, 01:04    Post subject: Re: cannot install pet update LHP_4.43Gu3-G_update3b.pet  

Q5sys wrote:
However I am working on one to try to fill in some of the missing CLI bits that Puppy does not seem to have as well as some add on utilities for system monitoring and Bash 4.1.


Q5sys wrote:
As for using Bash 4.1 it seems to work fine, but I have yet to do a full reboot with it in place. Thats on the adjenda this weekend.



I've found no issues or conflicts with v4.1.
Dont know if you'd like to update LHP from v3.0 to 4.1 or not, but ive not found any conflicts.

im also loading htop .8.3.1 There arent many changes over .8.1 (what LHP has), but it has some bug fixes (11 changes in total if you care, its in the gz if you wanna check them /usr/share/doc/htop/changelog)
htop-.8.3.1.tar.gz
Description 
gz

 Download 
Filename  htop-.8.3.1.tar.gz 
Filesize  50.34 KB 
Downloaded  243 Time(s) 
bash-4.1.tar.gz
Description 
gz

 Download 
Filename  bash-4.1.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.71 MB 
Downloaded  241 Time(s) 
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Barburo


Joined: 14 Jun 2007
Posts: 283

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr 2010, 19:11    Post subject:  

Hi TazOC,
Thanks for the fix for sidebar - I got it working for my ra0 wireless connection. I didn't read your original instructions thoroughly enough - until I started clicking on the sidebar I didn't realize that there are areas that bring up child apps - I like it!
B.

_________________
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5810TZ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
tazoc


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1157
Location: Lower Columbia Basin WA US

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr 2010, 16:39    Post subject: Re: Lighthouse Pup 4.43 Gu2 215M  

gcmartin wrote:
@tazoc Thanks

I think I understand what you intend here. But let me ask the following:
    Does Mariner have everything that LH's iso has, plus more?
    Is there any reason why I could not save Mariner's file requirements back to the multi-session DVD that I boot with?
    Is there a way at boot time to, then, request which "SFS" to boot?

Where do I get the Mariner ISO? ( see the reference, but not sure where to download for "Mariner")
thx
Yes, the Mariner ISO has everything in the Base ISO plus the Mariner SFS (also available separately) and the KDE SFS. I have not tried a multi-session DVD. The last I knew that was experimental in Puppy. I would recommend saving your session and the SFS add-on files to a hard disk or flash drive because they have quicker access and transfer rates for the relatively large and numerous files in Lighthouse, especially if you will be using KDE.

Puppy and Lighthouse do not have the capability to choose SFS at bootup, but I agree that would be nice to have. The downloads page at http://www.lhpup.org has links to both the Base ISO and the Mariner ISO and other SFS add-ons right at the top of the page which takes you to detailed descriptions just above each download link.

If you don't need KDE I recommend burning the Base ISO and then if it works OK, download the other SFS files as needed, including the Mariner SFS. You can always add the KDE and/or Xfce SFS later if you want to.
-TazOC

_________________
lhpup.org Lighthouse 64 6.02
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1049

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr 2010, 16:49    Post subject:  

tazOC,
Im slowly working my way through all the GNU utils in Gu2 and seeing which ones have updates. So far ive found quite a few. I'm going to be going through and testing them one at a time (all 106 of them).
I was trying to compile emacs, and was hitting a bug in 'find', after updating it went away. I was suprised to see that 'find' was 5 years out of date, lol. I figured as the newer versions of puppy were released the coreutils would have been updated... but i guess I was wrong. Razz

Would you be interested in which ones update without any conflicts?

EDIT: So far to good, updated from v6.9 to v8.5 of GNU coreutils and have yet to have any issues, will continue testing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
tazoc


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1157
Location: Lower Columbia Basin WA US

PostPosted: Sat 01 May 2010, 11:00    Post subject: Bash 4.1  

Hi Q5sys,
The only niggle I've found with Bash 4.1 is that in Console-LHP (Sakura) terminal, the home and end keys don't work as they did with Bash 3.0. I compiled the latest Sakura 2.3.8 but it didn't help. I tried both your Bash 4.1 and the latest from Slackware and both fail my 'Sakura test'. Any ideas?

Until we figure it out, I'm using Bash 3.0 from Quirky 021 which works fine with Sakura.
Thanks,
TazOC

_________________
lhpup.org Lighthouse 64 6.02
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1049

PostPosted: Sun 02 May 2010, 17:39    Post subject: Re: Bash 4.1  

tazoc wrote:
Hi Q5sys,
The only niggle I've found with Bash 4.1 is that in Console-LHP (Sakura) terminal, the home and end keys don't work as they did with Bash 3.0. I compiled the latest Sakura 2.3.8 but it didn't help. I tried both your Bash 4.1 and the latest from Slackware and both fail my 'Sakura test'. Any ideas?

Until we figure it out, I'm using Bash 3.0 from Quirky 021 which works fine with Sakura.
Thanks,
TazOC


I'll do some digging, but what exactly did 'Home' and 'End' do with Bash 3 and sakura? without knowing what action you are trying to replicate... i might not be able to find the reason.

Personally, I never liked sakura, not that its bad or anything, but its a bit to small scale for me. I dont mind an app created mostly by a single person, but when it doesnt have really anyway to get support from the devs or have any bug listings, etc... I tend to shy away from it.
I normally use Konsole, however LXterm, aterm, xterm, rxvt and even TermIt; all get used occasionaly, and I find they have a stronger base of users/devs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
tazoc


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1157
Location: Lower Columbia Basin WA US

PostPosted: Sun 02 May 2010, 18:37    Post subject:  

Hi Q5sys,
When I'm typing in Sakura and LXTerm, 'Home' used to take me to the beginning of the line and 'End' to the end of the line. With Bash 4.1 the keys generate a '~' and don't move the cursor. In rxvt the keys work as they should and I don't have KDE loaded with Konsole yet to test with. It just occurred to me that's on a LHP 5.0 development system, so maybe I've got something else going on here. I will go back into 4.43, update Bash and see what happens.
Thanks,
TazOC

_________________
lhpup.org Lighthouse 64 6.02
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1049

PostPosted: Mon 03 May 2010, 00:01    Post subject:  

tazoc wrote:
Hi Q5sys,
When I'm typing in Sakura and LXTerm, 'Home' used to take me to the beginning of the line and 'End' to the end of the line. With Bash 4.1 the keys generate a '~' and don't move the cursor. In rxvt the keys work as they should and I don't have KDE loaded with Konsole yet to test with. It just occurred to me that's on a LHP 5.0 development system, so maybe I've got something else going on here. I will go back into 4.43, update Bash and see what happens.
Thanks,
TazOC


on 4.43 with Bash 4.1 it gives you the ~ instead of moving you around on the line. I got a message back from Sakura's developer... so I'll let you know if that leads me anywhere.

lastly, something I just noticed...
1) I can write to NTFS drives fine.
2) Truecrypt works fine.
3) If truecrypt partition is formated as NTFS, I cant write to it.
Any ideas?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 42 of 46 [684 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1146s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0148s) ][ GZIP on ]