Lighthouse Pup 4.43 Gu2 215M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tazoc

#61 Post by tazoc »

Hi Chris,
That's a very good idea, I'll put it in the next release.
Thanks,
TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

timremy

mouse usb

#62 Post by timremy »

hello

same problem with 442. i have a usb optical mouse, to get it

to work, i have to unplug then plug it back in.

i have a intel m 900hz and 512 ram.

any ideas ?

timremy

tazoc

USB mouse have to unplug then plug back in

#63 Post by tazoc »

timremy,
This is mysterious! Just so I understand, you have a laptop and in LHP 4.43b the touchpad works, but not the USB mouse--until you disconnect and reconnect the mouse.

And you tried another mouse and... same problem. But no problem with Puppy 4.31 (which has the same kernel and Xorg)?

Unfortunately I don't have a clue but maybe someone else has an idea or similar experience?
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

timremy

mouse usb

#64 Post by timremy »

hello tazoc

thank you for your honesty. you dont see too many

people tell the truth today.

thank you again.

timremy

Barburo

C-F

#65 Post by Barburo »

Hi TazOC
I'm running 4.43b on my Sony Vaio that has Intel Graphics. I loaded the latest CF sfs and it really wants to work.
In LXDE I see the CF settings manager icon in the system tray, and I can right click on it and see the settings options.
Here's what happens:
Each time I open a Rox Filer window it's a blank wobbly window.
If I then resize the window either by max or min or size handles I can see the contents of the window.
Going from folder to folder in rox also needs resizing to properly see the contents of the window.
The start menu seeems to open up and display correctly (slight shiver on opening under C-F.
I'm so close I can almost taste it.
Any idea if there are settings I can change? Has anyone else seen this C-F behavior?
Barburo.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

timremy

module

#66 Post by timremy »

hello tazoc

could i please get the name of the mouse module.

timremy

tazoc

#67 Post by tazoc »

@All using LHP 4.43-a or b,
I found a bug affecting KDE3,4 and possibly other window managers. Open /root/.xinitrc with a text editor and comment out line 65 like this:

Code: Select all

# [ -x /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca ] && kbuildsycoca &>/dev/null & # TazOC
then restart X. The purpose of this line was to speed startup, but it messes up the menus under certain conditions and could cause instability. This fix will be in the next release.

Barburo,
Here are some possible workarounds, though I can't seem to reproduce the behavior you describe.

In the tray, right-click fusion-icon | Reload Window Manager.

In ROX-Filer, right-click Options | Filer Windows | tick 'Always Resize' | OK.

Also from fusion-icon | Select Window Manager | KWin, then from LXDE Menu | System | System Settings | Desktop | tick 'Enable Desktop Effects' | Apply | Accept Configuration. This uses KDE's configuration instead of C-F but the effects are similar. The same KDE Desktop Effects panel has tabs with a variety of settings to try.

timremy,
I opened Menu | System | 'Pupscan interface info' and these look like the kernel modules for a USB mouse:
usbcore, usbhid, ohci_hcd, ehci_hcd and maybe pci_hotplug, I don't know.

The script that could be responsible for detection is /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. Not sure about the ramifications but you could try swapping out the rc.sysinit in LHP with the one in Puppy 4.3.1. Grab /etc/DISTRO_SPECS from Puppy also and change line 4 to DISTRO_VERSION=443. I would make backups first in case it messes up your system.
-TazOC

timremy

mouse

#68 Post by timremy »

hello tazoc

thank you for your help.

still no mouse on my intel m 900 but everything works

on my intel dual core 1500 2g ram.

thank you

timremy

Barburo

CF

#69 Post by Barburo »

Hi TazOC
Thanks for your suggestions - I had already tried all except switching on KDE effects.
I looked at tombh's "Compiz-Fusion for Puppy 4.0" page and added the lines he recommends for Intel graphics and to xorg.conf.

Good news - I can get CF working with both LXDE and KDE4 on my Sony Vaio which reports these specs (with atteched external monitor):
-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz
Memory : 1024MB (440MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.44
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 915GM 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2
Unfortunately I have to restart X Windows each time:

When I reboot into 443b (having left the WM as either KDE4 or LXDE ) I see the CF icon on screen. If I open a Rox filer window I get the same effects as previously - can only see window contents if I resize (just a pixel or two does it) but they don't work properly. Some menu items display correctly - others don't. When I exit and restart X Windows then CF works as it should in both KDE4 and LXDE .

... a bit perplexing (can't think of a good reason why I have to do this) but I'm now happily using CF with the Sony Vaio.
B.

**Edit I tried the KDE effects in LXDE and they work! Wobbly windows, desktop cube, snow etc. ... but same problem as with CF - I need to restart X Windows before the window contents display correctly.

Barburo

feedback

#70 Post by Barburo »

Hi TazOC
Couple of quick queries:

I'm using wbar in LXDE with C-F. I've changed the LXDE taskbar from bottom to top and the wbar to the bottom. How do I get the wbar icons to rise when I mouse-over them (rather than fall)? I changed some of the wbar parameters in /startup/wbar and also tried wbar --help but I cannot see a relevant parameter. ***Edit - it was the jump parameter - (operator error again!)

In both KDE and LXDE when I start any application or window it starts behind the other windows - normally I would expect focus to change directly to the new window. Clicking on the window does change the focus.
***Edit Changed C-F Focus prevention level to low - solved problem.

Where do you add to or change the icons/applications on the LXDE taskbar? The defaults are Filesystem Defaultbrowser Geany LXTerminal. (Or is it better to just use wbar)? I'm becoming a fan of LXDE. Using LXDE/ Openbox in 443b I find that it's fast, very very fast. And super fast shutdown too.

B.
Last edited by Barburo on Tue 17 Nov 2009, 20:29, edited 3 times in total.

rokytnji

#71 Post by rokytnji »

Just for info: Acer Aspire One. Intel Atom,1gig ram,160gig HD Running Live USB. LighthousePup4.43-b_Mariner.iso

Wireless connects. Land line eth0 connects.
Screen Resolution OK
Sound works
Touch pad tap is a no go.
Flash is OK
Switching from JWM, to LXDE to Icewm = No Problems
Changing Icewm themes no problem.
Conky is to big for 10" screen. You lose the bottom.

Kewl looking Puppy Tazoc. Likey. :D

Short test for today.

Edit: Shutdown doesn't complete. Left with a brown checkerboard at bottom of screen about 1 inch tall with just a few blue squares above.
Like I said. Just for info.

tazoc

#72 Post by tazoc »

Barburo and rokytnji,
Thank you for the feedback. I'm working on the next release, based on Puppy 4.3.1 and am wondering if I need to pre-extract the /lib/modules/all-firmware archives. Maybe it won't be necessary? If you've tried the latest Puppy and had to manually put firmware into /lib/firmware, please let me know.

Barburo, Thank you, I didn't know how to use the -jumpf parameter for wbar. Looks like -jumpf 1 works best for bottom of the screen and -jumpf 0 for the top. Learn something every day! I'll put that into the next release.

To edit the lxpanel quick launch icons, in LXDE click Menu | Settings | LXPanel Configuration | Plugins | Application Launch bar | Edit, then Add or Remove. Select an item and click on the arrows to re-arrange. Takes effect immediately. Each item is associated with a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications/.
-TazOC

rokytnji

#73 Post by rokytnji »

If you've tried the latest Puppy and had to manually put firmware into /lib/firmware, please let me know.
Sorry Tazoc. I was just taking your distro for a test run ( a short one) just to see if it would boot and connect. I didn't load any firmware since I was running live.

If I install it. I would probably do a search for the firmware for touchpad tap. And search for editing shutdown file. I have quite a few laptops of different makes and models, Some ancient. Some Newer.

Unfortunately that means I have a lot of distros on these laptops that take up my time as far as configuring,updating,installing and experimenting.

Sorry I am not much help.

Barburo

#74 Post by Barburo »

@rokytnji
I think Barry (original Puppy developer) had a laptop with a touch pad and got annoyed that it kept interfering with his typing so in Xorg.conf he set the tap time to zero deliberately. My xorg.conf has this entry
Option "MaxTapTime" "0"
I believe that setting this option to 170 or 180 (experiment to find what works) will get the touch pad working. If you do a forum search (use
http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
for best results) you should find some more information.
See also this link http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=18339

@TazOC, I thought you were probably working on another version - looking forward to testing it out.
My previous post re:443b was
I copied three firmware files for my wireless card from /lib/firmware in 442 to same location in 443:
ipw2200-bss.fw
ipw2200-ibss.fw
ipw2200-sniffer.fw
...and my wireless now works.
I'm not sure if this means you need to extract firmware as in 442.

B.

rokytnji

#75 Post by rokytnji »

@Barburo

Thanks for the tips. Made a document file of your response to peruse later. Happy Trails, Rok :D

tazoc

#76 Post by tazoc »

rokytnji wrote:Unfortunately that means I have a lot of distros on these laptops that take up my time as far as configuring,updating,installing and experimenting.

Sorry I am not much help.
On the contrary Rok, you have been very helpful, and thank you for trying Lighthouse!
Barburo wrote:
I copied three firmware files for my wireless card from /lib/firmware in 442 to same location in 443:
ipw2200-bss.fw
ipw2200-ibss.fw
ipw2200-sniffer.fw
...and my wireless now works.
I'm not sure if this means you need to extract firmware as in 442.
Thank you for the refresher, Barburo, I'll copy in those at least, and more if replies here indicate others are needed.
-TazOC

rokytnji

Running Live

#77 Post by rokytnji »

Burnt a Cd of Mariner ISO. Same distro as my post in previous page.

Booted up on Panasonic CF-48, I have bumped ram on it up 1 gig but stock is 256mb soldered to main board so it is a 1.2 gig ram laptop.CDRW
CPU is Pentium R 1.6 ghz and I have a 100 gig IDE HD in it that triple boots Win XP (to tune Harleys with), Linux Mint 7 XFCE 4.6, and Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

Sound works out of the box. In Fact, Flash,External DVDRW Liteon EZ DUB USB Drive Plays Movies using it.
Internal Intel A/B/G PCI wireless connects out of the box
Tap on Touch pad a No Go
Conky fits 15"screen
Everything just works sweet on this Laptop from boot to shutdown. No Glitches what so ever. I Highly recommend this distro for this Laptop.

Asus EEE PC 900 with the 4gig Xandros 4/16gig secondary /home SSD.

Boots up fine using same stick I used on my Acer Aspire One.
Touchpad Works! (go figure)
Don't see anything like Cheese or Xcam to test webcam in menu so I will leave off on that.I can probably find a puppy Cheese.pkg if I need it. Because Cheese works in AntiX 8.2 SDHC Flash Drive I dualboot on this Netbook.
Wireless connects up on

DESCRIPTION: Atheros Communications, Inc.  Device unknown
VENDOR: 168c  DEVICE: 001c  KERNEL MODULE: ath5k
Flash Works
Sound works out of the box. Woof.
Again everything just works like it should for a short test drive.

Again, Just a short test today running Lighthouse Mariner Full Iso Live but on 2 different Pcs. One with CD. The other USB.

Worth installing on either one though I haven't shut down the Asus yet. If problem shutting down I will edit post. If shutdown goes OK. There will be no update to this post..

Nice/Outstanding job there Tazoc.. I am impressed with how this Puplet works with these 2 Laptops. :D

rokytnji

#78 Post by rokytnji »

No Luck with Installing on IBM A22 Pentium 1000 hz, 256 mb of ram, 712 mb swap Partition, Has Xubuntu 8.10 on hda1. It ran really well Live though. I was using the grub boot loader in Xubuntu to try and boot Lighthouse. I ended up putting Puppy Dingo back on this Laptop as I had no problem booting it up after editing Xubuntus /boot/grub/menu.lst. Fdisk below is what is showing Puppy Dingo Install at present.

# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 20.0 GB, 20003880960 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2432 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *           1         660     5301418+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2            2341        2432      738990   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda3             661        1329     5373742+   5  Extended
/dev/hda4            1330        2340     8120857+  83  Linux
/dev/hda5             661        1329     5373711   83  Linux
/boot/grub/menu.lst for Dingo at present time.

###Other Operating Systems

title           title Puppy Dingo 4 full install hda5
root            (hd0,4)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 pmedia=idehd 
This grub entry boots up Dingo just fine.
I tried the grub suggestion entry , (the window that pops up that shows what you need to insert into /boot/grub/menu.lst) when I installed grub in hda5. I tried full installer. I tried Frugal Installer. I used Xubuntus 8.10 gparted and wiped hda5 and reformatted as Ext3 a few times after every install try.

Grub error 15, 17, 21 were my companions as I tried to edit grub from grubs command line.
Basically the only difference between the Dingo kernel Line and Lighthouse Kernel Line is pemedia=atahd psubdir=puppy 4.43
And the Title of course. "Puppy Linux 4.43 full install in hda5"
File not found was my companion all night last night.

tried
root=/dev/hda4 (kernel line)
root=/dev/sda5 (kernel line)
(hd0,0} (root line)
(hd0,5) (root line)

I reset to defaults after every unsuccessful boot so as to start fresh with editing boot entries in grub.

So after 3am in the morning. I said "Oh, well. If I can't boot up. Go with what does boot up".

Just trying to learn, and post info, so other users may benefit. I am not done trying this out yet. Next attempt will be to install to 4gig SDHC Flash Card for my Asus EEE 900. Will see how that goes. At least grub will go to the mbr on the flash drive. No editing involved.

rokytnji

#79 Post by rokytnji »

Edit:Double post
Last edited by rokytnji on Sat 16 Jan 2010, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

jasmac

#80 Post by jasmac »

Hi everyone, just thought I would check in and let you know that everything is still working sweet. Icewm has turned into my wm of choice, just so damn snappy. Anywho I have a new background that I thought I would share. There is the screeny to check out first and if you take a shine to it the background itself. Hope you like it.

Cheers

Jason