Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Sep 2014, 18:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy 4.3.1 -- bug reports and suggestions
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 21 [303 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
ecomoney

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov 2009, 18:47    Post subject:  

Ive added the facebook chat error to the google bug tracker also. Facebook is kinda important. Rolling Eyes

Sorry, my server is down atm!
diaeresis

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov 2009, 18:56    Post subject:  

I already did that last night Crying or Very sad
Efficient aren't I?
This thread is all read through at this point, one or two posts not on the tracker yet as I pm'd the posters to try and get clarification of bits and bobs. Lots of posts not really bugs so didn't go on. The outstanding posts that I am waiting on responses should be on by the end of the week. I will keep watching the thread and put new posts onto the tracker unless it has already been done.
Wink
Job jobbed and it's a good'un.
Lisa Fine

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov 2009, 18:59    Post subject: Help with 4.3.1  

I made a full install of Puppy 4.3.1. Everything seems to be fine EXCEPT the program does not giveme the option to save on shutdown, nor will it load pupsave files previously saved (using boot from CD or USB). Is there anything I can do to modify this or is it a bug?

Thanks!
ecomoney

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov 2009, 19:52    Post subject:  

Thank you diaeresis for doing this important job! Shall I delete my report?

Sorry, my server is down atm!
ICPUG

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 09:05    Post subject:  

Lisa Fine,

If you did a full install - it doesn't need to save a pupsave file first time or load a previous one on bootup. Changes made are saved directly to the Linux filesystem on the hard drive.

A pupsave is only needed when you use the live CD or do a frugal install.
Lisa Fine

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 10:02    Post subject: Duh -- long day on the computer  

Yes, that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for letting me know. I was going nuts thinking I had missed something regarding the pupsave Smile

The only bad part is I have a pupsave from my CD booted sessions and will lose data and whatnot now that I have converted to the full installation Sad

But I'm just glad that things are working okay!

Best --

Lisa
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 14:43    Post subject:  

I had problems with abiword. I was working with a document, cutting, pasting and changing fonts, and all at once the document displayed complete garbage. I saved it in a temp file and re-opened it, and it looked fine. Happened a few times, but now for some reason I am unable to reproduce the failure.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec 2009, 23:36    Post subject: Re: Duh -- long day on the computer  

Lisa Fine wrote:
The only bad part is I have a pupsave from my CD booted sessions and will lose data and whatnot now that I have converted to the full installation Sad

Click on the save file. Puppy should mount it and open a window inside, so that you can grab the data you want to keep. Click it again to unmount it.

diaeresis

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 17:39    Post subject:  

PaulBx1, Abiword has often given issues like that if you search the forum. Scrolling can bork it badly as well. I won't put it on the tracker because I believe Abiword is already being dealt with for 4.4
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46497&start=30&sid=1c722cb62fd8db20d60e1b2914963dbd
Somewhere in that thread it gets a mention.
diaeresis

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 19:00    Post subject:  

Two suggestions.

First one is going to make some people growl but so be it.
I have been using windows since 95 or thereabouts and only started using puppy 3 months or so ago.
One thing I so so miss is a unified print dialogue.
It doesn't matter what application you use in windows you get the same print dialogue and the same result.
Puppy: mtpaint needs to be set up with the right command before it will print and gives you no set up dialogue just starts printing. Firefox gives it's own basic dialogue, Abiword and Gnumeric need fettling before they find the cups printer. etc etc. Today I downloaded gtklp.
Oh My God.
Could that possibly be set as a unified print dialogue that each and every application calls up when the print command is issued? It has virtually all you need, is clean and straightforward and (sorry) is extremely familiar to all those windows users out there. And making it easy for new users to get results is surely A Good Thing.

Second one, that pmirrorget website downloader. That needs a big red button with STOP written on it.
I tried to download a site containing some picture repositories (not that sort of picture you smutty minded schoolboy!) and off Pmirrorget went. I had my dinner and went back to the screen, Still going. Hmmmm. 1 hour later, still going, 1.5 hours later still going Oooh, 2 hours later. Shit, how do I turn this off, where's the stop button, Shit Shit the whole internet is going to be on my compooter, There isn't room, it's going to leak out and start filling the room, then the house, then the world....Help,help. HELP.
Just a simple way of stopping it that those unfamiliar with process manager, kill etc could use. Trying to find a man page for kill while the whole interweb is being sucked into your living room is slightly stressful!
wjaguar

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 04:25    Post subject:  

diaeresis wrote:
One thing I so so miss is a unified print dialogue.
It doesn't matter what application you use in windows you get the same print dialogue and the same result.

Windows provides the print dialog as a builtin function: PrintDlg() in COMDLG32.DLL ("Common Dialog Box Library", as MSDN calls it).
POSIX systems cannot do the same, for the simple reason of not having One True GUI Toolkit or One True Printing Subsystem.
So everyone uses whatever print functionality one can implement at a "good enough" level - either toolkit-provided if it exists (say, GTK+ didn't have it before version 2.10), or custom-built.

IOW, this is a fact of life. Smile

Quote:
mtpaint needs to be set up with the right command before it will print and gives you no set up dialogue just starts printing. <...>
Today I downloaded gtklp.
Oh My God.
Could that possibly be set as a unified print dialogue that each and every application calls up when the print command is issued?

mtPaint doesn't have a printing dialog of its own precisely because using gtklp as a print command makes more sense than building a poor replica of it into mtPaint.
diaeresis

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 16:46    Post subject:  

And that is why gtklp should be built in to puppy and mtpaint set to use it "out of the box" rather than have new users with little or no familiarity with the "Linux Way" struggle to get a decent print.
Very Happy
And as many other apps as possible, thereby providing "a unified print dialogue" Very Happy
It's not a problem, it's a solution. Very Happy
enhu

PostPosted: Sun 06 Dec 2009, 07:56    Post subject:  

if the computer is shutdown improperly, do we still need to run the xwin again in this new release. its getting sicker everytime it happens.
SilverPuppy

PostPosted: Sun 06 Dec 2009, 16:52    Post subject: Well, well!  

Well, those of you who've been around awhile know that I felt that Puppy 4.2 was itself one big bug, and was Puppy's "Vista" moment (and indeed, it even looked like Vista, and was slow like Vista!)........and frankly, I have been leery of everything since, and using 4.1.2 exclusively. However, I stumbled across the information about Barry coming out of retirement to oversee 4.3, and a few days ago I thought, well, if Barry made it, it's got to be good. Very Happy

I hafta say, I just fired it up a few minutes ago, (4.3.1) and....I'm very pleased. It has a pleasing look out-of-the-box, but isn't encumbered by widgets and sidebars and such that, try as I might, I never could get to really go away. Also, 4.3 seems to be light, which is key for usability for my purposes, as I use it primarily to refit sub-500mhz computers for the Internet Age. I'm not very comfortable with Flash 10 yet, but perhaps it will be OK.

One thing that I like is that Pnethood works again in 4.3 (it never worked for me in 4.2) and things seem to be all wonderfulness.

I did notice one minor bug: in CPU frequency scaling, the button that should say "QUIT" actually says "OUIT".....oqps Very Happy
SilverPuppy

PostPosted: Sun 06 Dec 2009, 16:55    Post subject: Improper shutdowns  

enhu wrote:
if the computer is shutdown improperly, do we still need to run the xwin again in this new release. its getting sicker everytime it happens.

That's why I wrote this. (Click here)

Soon I'll be updating the top post to include a version I'll be making this afternoon for 4.3.1 (If you beat me to it, just insert my code into your files in the requisite places. See files for details.)
Page 11 of 21 [303 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: