Many wireless questions

2lss

Many wireless questions

#1 Post by 2lss »

This is a pretty dumb question but...,
I know when it comes to networking on puppy there is puppy's internet connection wizard, pwireless, iwconfig, and ifconfig. How exactly do these programs interact with each other? I ask because I have been using wpa_supplicant to connect to the wireless at my university(wpa2 enterprise), and the puppy connection wizard on my home network(wep). It's a bit cumbersome to set up wpa_supplicant every day to get on my school's network, and reset when I get home. Is it possible to set up my networking with one application? Or is it possible to specify what access points puppy connects to?(whenever I boot up at home puppy automatically connects to my neighbor's open network over my encrypted network)
I'm pretty green when it comes to linux networking, so if anyone could break this down in easy noob terms it would be appreciated. :D
btw I am using pupeee 4.2 on my eeepc 900a

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

Well Puppy's Network Wizard already uses wpa_supplicant for connections to WPA and WPA2 access points, but the interface currently doesn't support WPA Enterprise encryption.

Any such development will be by whoever is prepared to donate their time and expertise to do so.
If you have the skills, yourself, to modify the Network Wizard, the relevant script is at /usr/sbin/wag-profiles.sh

If not, I suggest you just create yourself a script which contains all the necessary commands for connection to your WPA Enterprise connection, then save it to /usr/local/bin as something like "uni-enterprise".
Then you can run this script each time you want to connect.
You could also create a desktop icon which calls this script ... although this means the script will run "blind" in the background, unless you call the script to run within an xterminal.

2lss

#3 Post by 2lss »

So iwconfig, ifconfig, and wpa_supplicant are separate programs that run under puppy connection wizard?
If that is the case, which ones start at boot up?
I connected to my neighbor's network once with connection wizard by mistake now every time I boot up it auto connects to it.
I deleted the profile in connection wizard and set my network as the default and saved the configuration but it still continues to connect to my neighbor.