Lexmark Z25 printer(part solved)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
keniv

Lexmark Z25 printer(part solved)

#1 Post by keniv »

I have been using Puppy 4.2.1 for about 2-3 months on a 400MHz 192MB Tosiba laptop. After some problems with sound and wifi I now use it as my main OS. However, I have had no success in installing my printer which is a Lexmark Z25 (detected as Z25-Z35). After reading around this forum I decided to install the Z600 drivers (the Z25 is shown in the list as working with this driver) as outlined in this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=19758 using the downloadable script. This seemed to go OK. I added the printer in cups using the Z600 driver which was now in the list. When trying to print a test page the printer does respond but does not print. It seems to be moving the print head back and forward over a shot distance. The printer does work in XP so I dont think this is a printer fault. The Z600 files are installed as follows:

usr/lib/cups/backend/z600
usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertz600
usr/lib/liblexz600core.a
usr/lib/liblexz600core.1a
usr/lib/liblexz600core.so.0
usr/lib/liblexz600core.so.0.0.0
usr/local/z600llpddk
usr/share/cups/model/Lexmark-z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.

I would appreciate any help I can get with this problem.

Regards,

Ken.
Last edited by keniv on Fri 16 Oct 2009, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is a driver PET for the Z25/35. It runs under simulation so hopefully it will work with your actual printer.

keniv

#3 Post by keniv »

Hi rcrsn51

Thanks for the quick reply and the pet. I have downloaded it and will report back when I have installed it.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

#4 Post by keniv »

I have installed Z35.pet, deleted the previous printer set up, then added the printer again in cups. Had three choices so chose usb:/Lexmark/Z25-35 with printer driver Z35v1.0-1. As I only have a black cartridge I set printer options to greyscale. When I try to print a test page the printer sounds as if it is about to print (the print head moves) then it stops with the error
usr/lib/cups/filter/restertoz35 failed. Could there be a problem with this file?
I chose one of the other printer options and tried again with the same result. I thought of using the option where you supply the .ppd file. I found this file with the other .ppd files in usr/share/cups/model but unlike all the other files it ends in .gz. That is it is shown as
Lexmark-z35-lxz35cj-cups.ppd.gz. In .packages/z35.files it is shown as being installed as this. Is this a possible problem?

Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's too bad. The package checks out OK, but without having the actual printer to test, I don't have any other ideas.

keniv

#6 Post by keniv »

OK thanks for trying. I will mess about with it a bit more. If I get it to work ill let you know.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

#7 Post by keniv »

I am not sure if I have got any further forward but when I try to print a test page I now get "unable to open printer port /dev/usb/lp0 permission denied". Can anybody tell me how I enable this port.

Ken.

keniv

#8 Post by keniv »

I have managed to install the CJLZ35LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz driver from the Lexmark site using an adapted version of the script from the link in my first post. I renamed it install_lexmark_Z35.sh. I removed line 41 (Wget -C.......) as I wanted to try both drivers which I had already downloaded. I changed all mentions of Z600 toZ35. I made a directory /Z35 and moved both of the above files to it. As I wanted to see if there were any errors I ran the script from a terminal.

cd Z35
./install_lexmark_Z35.sh

I am not sure if this is a good way to do this but it does work. I then installed my printer using CUPS and printed a test page.The test page printed but the vertical lines at the edge are offset every cm by about half the width of the line. This is not as bad as it sounds and does not show to much with text but does affect tables quite a lot and I would like to fix it. This does not happen when printer is used with my wifes machine using XP so I don't think it is a printer fault. A friend suggested it might be due to bi-directional printing. I have looked in as many .conf files as I can find in the hope I could find a way of setting the printer to print in one direction but had no luck. These are the ones I looked at.

/etc/sane.d/lexmark.conf
/etc/cups/lpoptions
/etc/cupsd.conf
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf.default
/etc/cups/printers.conf

I feel I am not far from getting this printer to work with Puppy. Can anybody suggest a way to fix this?

Ken.

Edit. I have just found this thread http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux- ... lient.html (about halfway down) and I think this describes my printer problem exactly. I have tried editing the /ect/cups/lpoptions file by adding RTLAdjust=8 to the single line entry for my printer. I have placed it first at the beginning and then at the end of the line but it does not seem to make any difference. Am I doing something wrong?