Canon pixma printer drivers

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Patriot

#16 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@ALand
ALand wrote:........ but the printer does not spit out a printed page. I've got the check on allow desktop to print to server under Admin page. Any ideas. Thanks
Please start a new thread with some description of the puppy version that you're using, the shared printers connection and some basic info of your network connections. It may need some troubleshooting process for any bug that I may not be aware of and I would like to keep this thread clean for drivers posting and/or reports ... I'll try to reply your queries/issues as soon as I can ...

Update: I've checked the v3.10 sources and I found a small library missing. All v3.10 drivers have been updated. It appears to be required only for network printing connectivity. If you are attempting to print over the network, perhaps this updated driver may resolve your issue.

Rgds

ALand

MX860 working perfect

#17 Post by ALand »

Sorry for my first post. I had spent 2+ hours installing MS drivers for the MX860 and our PCs and had not read all discussions threads.

Everything working now.
Laptop #1: IBM laptop running Puppy 4.3. Installed your CUPS 1.3.11.pet and Canon drivers. Works perfect with wifi - job printed before I can get to the printer.

Desk PC#2 (HP something): Puppy 4.2. Installed MX860.pet. Works perfect with CUPS 1.4x with a USB.

Thanks for your excellent work. Canon printers are great but I have had no luck in the past with Linux drivers.

Patriot

Re: MX860 working perfect

#18 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
ALand wrote:........
Everything working now.
Laptop #1: IBM laptop running Puppy 4.3. Installed your CUPS 1.3.11.pet and Canon drivers. Works perfect with wifi - job printed before I can get to the printer.

Desk PC#2 (HP something): Puppy 4.2. Installed MX860.pet. Works perfect with CUPS 1.4x with a USB.
Your positive report for the mx860 driver is much appreciated, thank you ... I'm glad to be able to assist .....

Rgds

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

Ok tested and running the IP4600 set :)

regards

mike

Patriot

#20 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Thanks Mike for the confirmation ... much appreciated .... :)

Rgds

plankenstein

#21 Post by plankenstein »

Used this pet in 214x15 and works flawlessly. Manny thanks :D

plankenstein
I carefully plan ALL my random acts! :lol:

Wheres One

#22 Post by Wheres One »

Sorry to butt in, but I think I'm missing something when it comes to downloading the driver for the mx 860 series. When I click on the link I go to the download page, click on the link to download, and get this:
Accessing directly the download link doesn't work. The download only starts if you click from the download page.
How do I download the package?

Patriot

#23 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
Wheres One wrote:........ How do I download the package?
Just tested the link and its still working ... Tested with Seamonkey and DownThemAll ... If you're using a download accelerator, you must specify a single chunk/part download. Parallel downloads may give this error ... What can I say, it's free hosting stuffs .....

Rgds

Wheres One

#24 Post by Wheres One »

I checked it again and it worked. Must have been some odd error on my part.
Now that I have the package, I'm unsure of how I should go about setting it up to work with my Canon MX860, as it is attached to my LAN. I do however, know and can provide the IP address, MAC address, etc., if it proves necessary.

Sorry I'm so clueless,

Wheres One

Patriot

#25 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
Wheres One wrote: .....
Now that I have the package, how would I go about setting up my Canon MX860? (it's on my home network and I have the IP address, MAC, etc.)
Click on the pet package to install, connect the printer to your usb port, start CUPS web interface (ie. http://localhost:631/) and make a test print ... Yes, installing the printer driver will automatically add the printer automatically into CUPS using the usb backend as default ...

Once that's done, if you want wifi connectivity then unhook the usb cable, go to the admin page and add the printer again from the selection ... It probably should have a backend using cnijnet or something .... If you're not sure how to do so, please open a new thread and ask for assistance from other MX860 owners .....

Rgds

Wheres One

#26 Post by Wheres One »

Patriot, my firewall was what was preventing me from getting at my printer. The Package works wonderfully and I cannot describe my gratefulness to you for creating it.
Out of curiosity, would you happen to know the port that is being used by the printer and how I would go about allowing it to remain open with my firewall still up?

Thank you very much for your excellent work,

Wheres One

Patriot

#27 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
Wheres One wrote:Patriot, my firewall was what was preventing me from getting at my printer. ........
I must have overlooked the firewall stuffs ... sorry about that ... I believe the standard canon BJNP ports are 8611, 8612, 8613 and 8614 (both tcp and udp) ... Try port 8611 tcp/udp first, then only all of them if it doesn't work ..... You can set them open using the firewall wizard ...

And, really, these drivers are from canon published driver sources ... I only recompiled them to conform to puppy folder layouts ...

Thanks for highlighting the firewall issue ...

Rgds

mikeb

#28 Post by mikeb »

Ok I was having a problem with using the gimp with the gutenprint interface...needed for serious image printing.
I can use the gutenprint driver but as mentioned the output is dark whereas the canon driver is spot in and gives good quality. Also the cd tray option does not work anyway so gutenprint advantages diminish somewhat. I found this workaround...
1. go into the print dialog, click "new printer" and give it a name (I chose kprint).
2. select adobe, postscript level 2 (the defaults).
3. browse for the ppd file in /etc/cups/ppd or /usr/share/turboprint
4. select "custom command" and enter "kprinter -d Canon" (in my case)
5. click OK

All the papersizes, resolutions and tray options now appear as before.
Ignore step 4...this works a treat so providing all that tarty control needed for such as label printing.

If more options are wanted then these setting may work by adding to the canon ppd....
*OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution: PickOne
*DefaultResolution: 600dpi
*Resolution 600dpi/600 dpi: "<</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
*Resolution 1200dpi/1200 dpi: "<</HWResolution[1200 1200]>>setpagedevice"
*Resolution 2400dpi/2400 dpi: "<</HWResolution[2400 2400]>>setpagedevice"
*CloseUI: *Resolution

*OpenUI *CNQuality/Quality: PickOne
*DefaultCNQuality: 3
*CNQuality 2/High: "2"
*CNQuality 3/Normal: "3"
*CNQuality 4/Standard: "4"
*CNQuality 5/Economy: "5"
*CloseUI: *CNQuality

*OpenUI *CNGrayscale/Grayscale: PickOne
*DefaultCNGrayscale: false
*CNGrayscale false/Off: "false"
*CNGrayscale true/On: "true"
*CloseUI: *CNGrayscale
some minor tweaking may be needed and the extra options appeared in the cups options but not as yet in the gimp (??) ..this may give a way to use the CD tray but I will try that later...odd that canon do not include the extra options since these at least seem to work.

regards

mike

mbridges1

#29 Post by mbridges1 »

I now have a total success printing from Windows XP AND Windows Vista to Puppy 430.

I had do to the CUPS 1.3.11 pet install. I restarted JWM and X windows.

Then I installed the Canon Pixma iP1800 printer using the driver you supplied earlier in this stream.

Then I had to configure CUPS to allow share published printers connected to this system, using the root userid and "woofwoof" password. I added the printer to CUPS as name ip800. I printed a test page from Puppy to make sure everything was working correctly on that system.

Next I added a printer to each Windows system to print to:
http://192.168.1.3:631/printers/ip1800
and changed the Advanced option to Print Directly to the printer.

Then I successfully printed a test page from each of the Windows systems.

mikeb

#30 Post by mikeb »

Next I added a printer to each Windows system to print to:
http://192.168.1.3:631/printers/ip1800
and changed the Advanced option to Print Directly to the printer.
did you install the canon printer locally on the windows machine as well?
I'm a bit stuck with this and suceeded with a epson previously.
Plus is a common need amongst puppy users

regards

mike

mbridges1

#31 Post by mbridges1 »

On both windows systems, I installed went through the Control Panel / Printers and Faxes. I then clicked "Add a printer".

In the Add Printer Wizard, I selected "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer.

I then selected "Connect to this printer (or to browse ..... )" and entered:

http://<ip address>:631/printers/<Puppy printername>

At this point, if Windows can connect to the printer it will give you a pop-up window to select the manufacturer and model of printer. I had already installed the printer drivers for my printer on each of the Windows systems from the CD which came with the printer.

Before sending a test page, I clicked Finish on the wizard. Then I selected the printer and right-clicked on it to get to Properties. I added the commentary information to describe the printer and then clicked 'Advanced'. I changed the option for spooling to "Print directly to this printer" and clicked "Apply". Then I went back to the General tab and clicked to print a test page.

On the Puppy system, the drivers were installed from links provided by Patriot much earlier in this message stream.

Good Luck

mikeb

#32 Post by mikeb »

I had already installed the printer drivers for my printer on each of the Windows systems from the CD which came with the printer.
Ok I thought as such as windows requires an inf whereas the adobe driver uses the ppd which worked for an epson

thanks for the info

regards

mike

Patriot

#33 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
mbridges1 wrote: ........
At this point, if Windows can connect to the printer it will give you a pop-up window to select the manufacturer and model of printer. I had already installed the printer drivers for my printer on each of the Windows systems from the CD which came with the printer. ........
Ah yes ... that's what I was about to comment on too ...

mikeb,
I've had this issue the first time I dabbled with CUPS 1.4b2 ... and from the experience, I would suggest using a windows printer driver on a windows system. This allows windows applications that use native windows printing API to be properly "rendered" by the printer driver. For this very reason, I've enabled raw printing as a default on the CUPS pet to allow direct printing from windows to a puppy shared printer (which is disabled by default in a normal CUPS package) .....

Anyway, most low-cost deskjet/inkjet printers that I've seen does not support postscript natively ...

Rgds

8-bit

#34 Post by 8-bit »

I tried to set up printing from Windows XP on one computer to Puppy 431 on the computer with a xerox lazer Docuprint P12 and a Canon MP390 inkjet printer.
I was able to set up printing to the xerox printer just fine and was able to print a test page to it from Windows XP.
But when I went to set up the Canon MP390 in Windows XP, it supposedly found the printer and I selected the windows driver for it in XP.
The driver in Puppy does not exist and I have been using the Canon bjc 8500 driver to print from Puppy.
Anyway, the XP computer, on print test page, sends the job. But no job is ever shown on the Puppy computer, no job is shown as pending on the XP computer and the Printer fails to print.
Am I looking at a driver conflict here?
Where the H did the job go?
I tried both spooling, works with the xerox, and direct to printer settings, but no joy to the Canon printer.

I also did not have a firewall in the way as I was able to print to the xerox just fine.
Stumped........?

8-bit

#35 Post by 8-bit »

I ran into a problem with Puppy 431 CUPS on a laptop printer connected wifi to my home network.
I set up the firewall to allow the host computer to bypass the firewall and also for the laptop to bypass it on each machine.
When I rebooted the laptop, the firewall was active and shared printers not shown.
I then created a bash script that started the firewall and then stopped and restarted CUPS.
When I would run that script after a reboot, the shared printers would show up.
So I put the script in my /root/startup folder and rebooted.
The shared printers then showed up.
No modifications to the firewall script were done other than those I mentioned above.
So why am I having to rerun the firewall startup and stop and restart CUPS for the shared printers to show?