Dialup was connecting fine, now not

sky king

Dialup was connecting fine, now not

#1 Post by sky king »

So here I am, happy as anyone with Puppy 4.2. Then the dialup provider does something to screw up my connection.

XP will connect fine, and I'm posting now from Puppy 2.16. GKDial works most of the time for me. But with 4.1 and 4.2, pupdial will not successfully connect. It seems like from the text box that WVDial gives up too soon between when the server asks for the password and their reply. Sometimes it gives up at different times in the dialup sequence. I have even had blinky working a couple of times, thought I was on, but still not connected.

I'm wondering if there's a way, using commas or something, to add time between lines in the config file. (I would need exact help here - where to put commas, etc. Even a good way to use terminal to find out exactly what's going on would help. (I'm not all that familiar with the process). To understand it better, I'm willing to type in commands, wait for the reply, type in commands to see how long it takes, and so on.

Or getting another dialer (maybe GKDial, as that seems to work most of the time with Puppy 2.16) that will hook me up like before.

I haven't called the tech support line, as they will probably say they don't support Linux.

So here I am begging for help, the most painless way possible, please. Another dialer to try in 4.2 maybe?

Thank you.

rerwin

#2 Post by rerwin »

sky king,
Sorry to be so long in responding, but I just now spotted your posting. I do not have an answer for you for puppy 4.2, as all my recent work is part of puppy 4.3/4.3.1. But the pupdial part of that work is in my 3G-wireless project. But before anything else, you might try adding either or both of the following commands to the second initialization string in pupdial:
S10=20
S25=50
These values are only my guess for increasing some timeouts. Here are the explanations from the modem-command list:
S-Registers

To change a setting, use the ATSr=n command, where r is the register and n is a decimal value from 0 - 255 (unless otherwise indicated).

Register - Default - Function

S10 - 7 - Sets the duration, in tenths of a second, that the modem waits to hang up after loss of carrier. This guard time allows the modem to distinguish between a line disturbance from a true disconnect (hang up) by the remote modem.

While we don't recommend connecting the modem to a line with call waiting, if you have it, you may wish to adjust this setting upward to prevent the modem from misinterpreting the second call signal as a disconnect by the remote modem. A better alternative is to ask your phone company how to temporarily disable call waiting (usually *70W). For example: ATDT *70W phone number.

Note: If you set S10 = 255, the modem will not hang up when carrier is lost. Dropping DTR hangs up the modem.

S25 - 20 - Sets the duration, in hundredths of a second, that DTR must be dropped so that the modem doesn't interpret a random glitch as a DTR loss. (Most users will want to use the default; this register is useful for setting compatibility with older systems running under older operating software.)
If those have no effect, You might send me some diagnostic data so I can see what's happening.

To work your problem, could you install the "3G_pupdial-wireless" dotpet (for 4.1.2, 4.2 and 4.2.1 from: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 979#266979
and the pmodemdiag diagnostic tool from: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 241#349241

Then connect to the ISP as usual. After the connection fails but before disconnecting, run the diag tool from a console by entering:
./pmodemdiag
(remembering the initial dot-slash) then attaching the resultant pmodemdiag...log to a posting or PM to me.
Richard