Coming Soon: Fluppy for netbooks, widescreens, smallscreens

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#91 Post by jemimah »

It is possible to edit the new sfs to delete those modules out and put in the new ones. Do you want to try that? or just use 4.30? This wasn't supposed to be this difficult. :)

I've been researching Elantech touchpads found out some things. First, the old kernel doesn't seem to have the Elantech driver in it and my new one does. Second the Synaptics driver included with puppy is too old to know what to do with the Elantech driver. Did edge scrolling and stuff work for you on the old kernel? I've built a newer version of the synaptics driver that might fix your problem if the mknod thing doesn't do it.

jakfish

#92 Post by jakfish »

xorg won't work in initial setup w/ 430/frugall fresh install/eee900 no matter what resolution is chosen.

Jake

jakfish

#93 Post by jakfish »

Since 4.30 is somewhat history, and I'm having trouble even getting the video right, I would prefer to test 4.31 if possible.

Best,
Jake

jemimah

#94 Post by jemimah »

You'll need this.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47469

I'll tar the modules for you and give you instructions soon. It would be helpful if you could find out what the error was for 4.30 by checking /tmp/xerrs.log You can probably boot into Xvesa to to check this.

jemimah

#95 Post by jemimah »

Ok edit the main sfs-file and delete the /lib/modules/2.6.30.5 directory. I think that should be enough to make it load the zp.sfs file and see the new modules. If not, it might be best to wait until I upgrade to 4.31 so I can tell you for sure.

jakfish

#96 Post by jakfish »

One thing--using this command:

kernel /vmlinuz pdev=/dev/sda1 pmedia=ideflash fastboot

Both my seamonkey browser and email are screwed up. I've lost the toolbar on both programs. It seems the apps are looking for something that isn't there when my pupsave is on the hard drive.

Since this is the only different command I'm using (other than my pupsave and os.sfs on the hard drive), is there something I can tinker with to make seamonkey act right again.

Jake

jemimah

#97 Post by jemimah »

I need to know more about your setup. Is your save file on /dev/sda1 and is that an ideflash drive? Other that that I have no idea what's going on. Is everything else working now? Touchpad ok?

jakfish

#98 Post by jakfish »

I was able to replicate the seamonkey error with 4.31 and stock kernels (but using your command in syslinux.cfg) and pupsave on sda1 so it's a frugal problem, not a kernel dillema.

I ended rebuilding sm browser/email via a new profile.

As for the touchpad, I never did get that working properly, regardless of mknod commands.

Jake

jemimah

#99 Post by jemimah »

I think this should fix the touchpad and give you more features like a real touchpad.

Try replacing /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so with the attached version. (I am assuming 4.31 does not update Xorg at all) Restart X and see what happens. It should load as a synaptics touchpad rather than a Logitech wheelmouse now. If this doesn't work, I might remove Elantech support from the kernel and go back to the old way.
Attachments
synaptics_drv.so.gz
(79.4 KiB) Downloaded 439 times

jakfish

#100 Post by jakfish »

I'm out tonight, but will try this tomorrow.

Jake

jakfish

#101 Post by jakfish »

I found a moment to drop in that new synaptics ko and the touchpad remains unresponsive.

As for your kernel and 4.31, I think I'll wait until you get it up and running before testing further. I don't feel confident about putting in those modules myself.

Jake

luther349

#102 Post by luther349 »

intel and ati drivers the eee hv has a ati in it.

aragon

#103 Post by aragon »

@ jemimah

regarding you dmenu-ideas, you might want to have a look at expose-clone by mu: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2369

should be what you want to do. i don't know if it would work on 4.3 but have a look.

if you have problems with expose-clone, mu is a very helpful guy.

aragon

jemimah

#104 Post by jemimah »

Jakfish, I'm planning on posting an iso of the whole thing as soon as I can work out some hosting. That should make it easier.

Luther349 ,thanks for the heads up! They sure don't make this easy do they? Hey do you mind if I use the Puppeee name for releasing this kernel with an vanilla 4.31 install?

Aragon, I've actually already built an Expose clone that doesn't require EWMH. I did find a cool hack using yaf-splash to make Dmenu more user friendly and not require the user to remember a hot key. I will post about it soon.

aragon

#105 Post by aragon »

i'm curious to see that one.

aragon

jemimah

#106 Post by jemimah »

I've finished my remaster of Puppy 4.31 with the EEE kernel. I'm planning on posting it as Puppeee 4.31 Beta since the name is well known and I don't think anyone else is working on a Puppeee for this release. I am waiting for TuxFamily to approve my hosting request and then I will post a link on the Announcements page. I'm also nearly ready to release a complete pet for the Fluppy window manger and extras including the Tiler and Expose' clone.

magerlab

#107 Post by magerlab »

is it possible to use your kernel in normal puppy? or existing pupsave2fs wich i use on eee pc?
anyway i want to try your puplet even i like openbox+fbpanel or stalonetray

jemimah

#108 Post by jemimah »

Magerlab, Puppeee 4.31 will be a regular Puppy with the Eee kernel. 99% of pets for 4.31 will work on it, only kernel-specific stuff will need to be modified. The only additions are the Eee acpi scripts, Wpa_gui, Powertop, and an upgraded Synaptics driver to hopefully work on the Elantech touchpads. Anything else you want in Puppeee?

When I release Fluppy it will have a more general netbook kernel based on the Moblin kernel configuration so it will work on a variety of netbooks.

I might also combine the two and call it Flupeee.

jemimah

#109 Post by jemimah »

Looks like my hosting just got approved! Unfortunately I am about to get on a plane to go home to Florida where I have no bandwidth so I won't be able to post Puppeee until Monday when I get back to my FIOS in Virginia. I'll do some extra testing this weekend so hopefully it will work well for most people.

jakfish

#110 Post by jakfish »

I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Jake