Coming Soon: Fluppy for netbooks, widescreens, smallscreens

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#46 Post by jemimah »

Jakfish, have you turned on cpu frequency scaling?

Can you run powertop on both 4.3 and 4.1 and tell me what the wattage difference is? Or post schreenshots? The fsb underclocking hack solved the inconsistencies I was seeing on my machine.

Battery life is why I waited to buy a netbook until the 1005ha came out, the advertised 10 hour battery life translates into about 6 actual hours. Not too bad.

jakfish

#47 Post by jakfish »

01micko--

I'd be very interested to hear your results. I also, belatedly, see that BK relented and released a 4.3 with the older kernel.

I just don't know what's making it burn hotter--the kernel or the OS, or maybe my machine itself.

But at any rate, I'd be grateful for any insight from users more learned than me.

Jake

jakfish

#48 Post by jakfish »

Hi, jemimah,

I have tried frequency scaling which will not work w/ eee/4.3 (there are other threads/confirmations that show the machine stuck on "performance" despite the elected setting.).

Jake

magerlab

#49 Post by magerlab »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47267
needed modules for eee keys and fan-control

jemimah

#50 Post by jemimah »

Is there a link to source code for the eee module somewhere?

-----------

No wonder you're so running so hot, Jakfish! I can cook eggs on mine in performance mode. Can you link me to the relevant discussion?

Have you tried setting it manually?
Using Frequency Scaling Governors

You can get a list of available governors with (as root):

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
conservative ondemand powersave userspace performance

Note: If the governors are compiled as modules, load them first:

# modprobe cpufreq_performance cpufreq_ondemand cpufreq_conservative cpufreq_powersave cpufreq_userspace

Now we set our governor: What is our current governor?

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
userspace

Set new governor and watch if it has changed

# echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
conservative
I'm pretty sure my EEE kernel sets it automatically. It should hopefully be up for download by tomorrow.

aragon

#51 Post by aragon »

See here for a workaround by ARAN: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 082#344082

maybe a better but larger workaround would be to use the larger iso and to merge the content of the zp*.sfs to the main pup-file.

aragon

jakfish

#52 Post by jakfish »

Hi, jemimah,

I'm using EEEControl, so am able to drop down to power-saving speed of 630mAH. So I don't believe I'm stuck on "Performance."

Anecdotally, I can hear the CPU speed drop when I switch to lower rate--it's a whine that audibly decreases. Can you hear such a sound when you're scaling?

Jake

jemimah

#53 Post by jemimah »

I've heard of the cpu whining thing but either my netbook is quiet or my hearing is not that good. :)

On my netbook, eee-control does not modify the cpu frequency, strange... Are you seeing P-states and C-states in powertop? I wonder if acpi is working for you at all....

I've attached a screenshot of what powertop output looks like on my machine. How many C-states do you see when you're unplugged?
Attachments
powertop.jpg
(140.45 KiB) Downloaded 597 times

jakfish

#54 Post by jakfish »

jemimah--

I'm no expert, but when using eeecontrol, I think the command to bring up the bona fide speed is this:

# cat /proc/eee/fsb
70 24 0

At least, this is what I use in my conky. Couple that with the increase/decrease whine of cpu speed makes me think that I'm getting genuine change.

As for powertop, I'm not getting your groovy readout:

Powertop

Cn Avg residency P-states (frequencies)
C0 (cpu running) (14.2%)
polling 0.0ms ( 0.0%)
C1 1.7ms ( 1.1%)
C2 2.0ms (15.7%)
C3 3.3ms (69.0%)

Wakeups-from-idle per second : 293.8 interval: 10.0s
no ACPI power usage estimate available

No detailed statistics available; please enable the CONFIG_TIMER_STATS kernel op
This option is located in the Kernel Debugging section of menuconfig
(which is CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y in the config file)
Note: this is only available in 2.6.21 and later kernels

jemimah

#55 Post by jemimah »

what happens if you try

modprobe p4-clockmod

Is that module there? Supposedly it adds speedstep for celeron M.

----

Humm, further research suggests p4-clockmod is probably no good. I wonder what could possibly be different between the old and new kernels....

jakfish

#56 Post by jakfish »

Isn't p4-clockmod found by the cpu scaling gui? I remember seeing that, I think (so much testing, so little progress). As you probably saw in the other threads, in 4.3, scaling/eee appears to produce only powersaving and performance setting, so there's no real scaling. Or at least I didn't get any.

I did get scaling to function in earlier puppies, 4.0/1, I think. And found only a lag in response with no accompanying battery/temperature savings.

Over in the forum.eeeuser.com, there was a general consensus that at least the 700/900 models didn't have a processor that played nice with scaling. It throttles rather than truly drops the CPU speed.

dawnsboy is a real expert at this. I'm just the guy who can't get it to work :)

jemimah

#57 Post by jemimah »

You have a working script for powersaving for the old kernel? Have you tried the old script with the new kernel?

I was thinking of buying one of the Celeron Eees just to figure this stuff out. I imagine you can get them cheap by now. I can probably pawn it off on my husband once I'm done with it. ;)

jakfish

#58 Post by jakfish »

The script is the same. As for your lucky husband, he can get a 900 on amazon very cheap. Last I looked, they were $229. I paid $550 16 months ago. Even cheaper on ebay, but buyer beware and all that.

jakfish

#59 Post by jakfish »

Here's one for the books, and it connects to the cpu speed problems within the eee.

Background: I had been complaining that 4.3/new kernel was causing temperature spikes. So I went to 4.3/old kernel, but changed one other thing: my startup speed in BIOS. I had been starting at 900mz/Performance to shorten boot time, then w/ eeecontrol, dumbing down to 630 once puppy was up and running.

I decided to change to 630/power saving in BIOS and just keep it there. Lo and behold, my temperature's gone down 5 degrees Celsius. Before, (with 900mh BIOS speed/change in puppy to 600mh), after an hour or so, (no wifi, no fan, medium brightness, cpu between 10-12%), I was idling at about 56C. Same specs now, but I'm at 51C. That's a big drop.

Whiile a 900mh startup/eeecontrol-switch-to-630 may make fsb show the speed at 630, I'm almost convinced that the machine is throttling rather than reducing speed. Even with the cpu whining down, etc.

How else can I account for 5 degree drop? Everything else is the same except for BIOS speed change.

At any rate, I may be able to return to newer kernel and see what's what.

Jake

magerlab

#60 Post by magerlab »

i haven't yet tried 4.3 on eee pc( maybe on weekend or would wait for a new NOP :D, cause i like xfce4 behavior on eee)

but i suggest to use fan control module as i do in 4.1.2
i have fan blowing 60% from the start and tempetrature never gets higher than 50( in fact 47-48)

jemimah

#61 Post by jemimah »

Apparently, he's already found himself one... $160

http://www.searsoutlet.com/Eee-PC-12GB- ... &pid=30332

jakfish

#62 Post by jakfish »

The price is right, to be sure. But check that ssd speed. Asus released a 16gb "slow disk." My 900 has a 4gb "fast" sd and an 8gb "slow" sd.

I've never seen an eee with a single 12gb ssd, so can't vouch for its speed.

Jake

jemimah

#63 Post by jemimah »

Either way, it'll be about 10 times the speed of my husband's crappy Dell. That's how I discovered Puppy, LXDE on Ubuntu was slow and unstable on it. Now he tells all his friends how awesome Puppy is, which makes me very happy, since his description of Ubuntu was "it's about as good as Windows 98."

01micko

#64 Post by 01micko »

jakfish wrote:01micko--

I'd be very interested to hear your results. I also, belatedly, see that BK relented and released a 4.3 with the older kernel.

I just don't know what's making it burn hotter--the kernel or the OS, or maybe my machine itself.

But at any rate, I'd be grateful for any insight from users more learned than me.

Jake
I'm not getting much sense out of powertop. Maybe it needs to be compiled in 4.3? The version is up to 1.8 now too. No hang on, the download is still at V1.11 but the screeny on the website suggests 1.8 :?

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jemimah

#65 Post by jemimah »

There's a kernel parameter you need to turn on to get good output from powertop. It's not on in the stock kernel.