Coming Soon: Fluppy for netbooks, widescreens, smallscreens

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#16 Post by jemimah »

Moblin actually takes about 45 seconds to start on my computer. The kernel is lightning fast but they weighed it down with a lot of daemons and Gnomey-crap.

My record speed for booting puppy is 13 seconds (to Xvesa, Xorg adds another few seconds).

puppyiso

#17 Post by puppyiso »

Since Fluppy is for netbooks, please make sure it works with most wireless centered netbooks.

My 3 year old Toshiba works well when booted Puppy but my new netbook doesn't.

jakfish

#18 Post by jakfish »

With frugal install to class 6 4gb Kingston sd, 900mhz selected in eee 900 BIOS, I cold boot to 4.3 desktop in 42 seconds (no grub, no unenbootin menu choice of linux flavor).

I realize that usb/sd booting is the slowest way to go, but would love shave off some time nonetheless.

Jake

eztuxer

#19 Post by eztuxer »

I'd love to test it on my AAO 150 @1.6 GHz with 1;5 GB ram and 8.9" screen.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

jemimah

#20 Post by jemimah »

puppyiso, what kind of network problems are you experiencing? Driver problems? Or the networking wizard does't work?

I've been attempting to port Moblin's Connman to puppy, but no luck so far.

jemimah

#21 Post by jemimah »

Anyone who wants to help test, please try the attached build of Flwm and let me know what you think. All you need to do is install the pet and restart Xwindows.

If you'd like to try it with Rox Panel the instructions are here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47280
(the pager and taskbar applets will not work with flwm; flwm has a pager and taskbar on the popup menu)

Edit: I've added a feature that forces windows that are too big for the screen to be resized, even if the window claims that it cannot be resized. I've tested this with excellent results so far, so let me know if you experience problems. To return a window to it's "too big" size, just unselect the maximize button. You can see this in action with ePDFView, and the connectwizard dialup modem wizard.
Attachments
flwm-xft-1.02.pet
(95.97 KiB) Downloaded 919 times
Last edited by jemimah on Sat 03 Oct 2009, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

jakfish

#22 Post by jakfish »

Hi,

Installed your pet on eee 900. Can' restart X by menu, (none of the restarts work in Menu) but even after cnt-alt-backspace, the installation won't run. After reboot, same problem.

This is a fresh frugal 4.3Final install on Kingston 4gb Class 6 sd card.

Jake

jemimah

#23 Post by jemimah »

jakfish, to get jwm back, you can type 'xwin jwm' from the command line.

are you running 4.30? oh yeah, you are, hmmm...

You can figure out what the error is by running 'xwin rxvt' from the command line. Then when x comes with the terminal type startflwm, and tell me what the error is.

jakfish

#24 Post by jakfish »

Okay, now I get it. I would suggest (especially for neophytes like myself) to hit cnt-alt-backspace to restart x and then stress that they need to right-click to bring up the new menu display.

When folks do that, the new menu looks good, though sans the groovy little programs icons of jwm.

But it definitely clears screen space, and so far, it works well. I'll be glad to test eee kernel as well.

Addendum: I put it through all menu items, including shutdown. Works fine.

Jake

jemimah

#25 Post by jemimah »

Thanks for clarifying that. If you want pretty menu icons, check out RoxMenu that I linked to above, it's absolutely gorgeous.

You can fix the Restart X menu entry by editing /usr/bin/restartwm. Go to the end of the file and delete the pound signs that are in front of the last three lines. Save it, and it should start to work.

Kernels are coming next week probably. My ultralight eee kernel is nearly ready. I also was planning on basing a general netbook kernel on the Moblin config (we can tweak this to work on non-atom netbooks).

Here are the hotkeys for Flwm

Alt+Escape Pops up the menu with the current window preselected

Alt+Tab Pops up the menu with the next window preselected

Alt+Shift+Tab Pops up the menu with the previous window preselected

Ctrl+Tab Switch to the next desktop.

Ctrl+Shift+Tab Switch to the previous desktop.

Ctrl+Function key Switch to desktop N.

Alt+Up Raise the current window.

Alt+Down Lower the current window.

Alt+Delete Close the current window (same as clicking close box).

Alt+Enter "Iconizes" (hides) the current window.

Alt+PgUp and Alt+PgDown Maximize and Unmaximize

T_Hobbit

#26 Post by T_Hobbit »

Trying it on a fresh 4.30 install. Like it!
Funny the max XY buttons! It's possible to change buttons position's? When window's title is too big, get's out it... On top there's more space.
Can it be colourize?
Seems to be functional. Not so good looking, but gain space from no taskbar.
I don't remember: are you for any type of taskbar or pwidgets likes?
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

jemimah

#27 Post by jemimah »

The buttons can be moved, but you need to recompile; where would you want the buttons to be?

Yes the titles don't always fit, but vertical space is more necessary than long titles on a small screen.

The colors match your gtk-theme - theres a theme switcher is on the menu. There are 4 themes to choose from.

You can install pwidgets from the repository if you like. I personally prefer gkrellm - I can make you a package if you need one.

Also check out Rox Panel:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47280 This is what Fluppy will ship with.

T_Hobbit

#28 Post by T_Hobbit »

I tried the theme switcher but the titles stayed with the some color.
pwidgets, gkrellm and rox panel are good for a big screen, I just asked for curiosity.
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

jemimah

#29 Post by jemimah »

The effect is really subtle because most of the stock gtk themes are grey. You change the gtk theme and the fltk widget scheme separately. If you download some extra themes from the repository, here's what flwm can look like. I think it's very neat how the window manager frames look like they are a part of Rox.
Attachments
turquoise.jpg
turquoise gtk-theme with gleam widgets
(13.77 KiB) Downloaded 1855 times
citrus.jpg
citrus cut gkt-theme with default widgets
(17.29 KiB) Downloaded 1716 times
m8darker.jpg
m8darker gtk-theme with gtk+ widgets
(13.75 KiB) Downloaded 1779 times
fishinginthesky.jpg
fishing in the sky gtk-theme with plastic widgets
(19.88 KiB) Downloaded 1763 times

magerlab

#30 Post by magerlab »

strange but i do not see windows in taskbar of fbpanel or tint
is it possible to have them seen( this would be fine:)

also when i change theme X crashes

jemimah

#31 Post by jemimah »

It would take a good bit of work to get Flwm to play nice with modern pagers and taskbars. It's on my list of things to do, but not near the top. In other words, it's not EWMH compliant.

You need to run flwm as 'startflwm' to get the theme change thing to work. Otherwise changing the theme will kill X. I'm not sure if you ran it manually as plain 'flwm' or if it's screwing up for other reasons.

jakfish

#32 Post by jakfish »

Hi, jemimah,

Is it just me or have you noticed that the newer kernel/and/or/4.3 in 4.3Final raises the eee temperature by several degrees Celsius? In comparision to Puppy 4.1 kernel?

With wifi toggled off and cpu at 12%, running no app other than wine/MS Word 97, the machine eventually goes up to 55C. Whereas in 4.1, I would be b/w 50-52C.

Jake

jemimah

#33 Post by jemimah »

I never ran 4.1 so I'm not sure, although I have been annoyed that it seems to suck more watts than Ubuntu. I need to boot ubuntu with my puppy kernel and see if it's the kernel or the xserver that makes the difference or if it's just in my head. :)

You can get a better idea of this with powertop. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31290

When I post my kernel you should get a better process listing out of powertop and perhaps be able to spot the issue.

jakfish

#34 Post by jakfish »

Thanks for the powertop link. And I can't wait to test your eee kernel.

Jake

jemimah

#35 Post by jemimah »

I'm pleased to announce that I've discovered a viable laptop-friendly network manager that will run on Puppy! It turns out wpa_supplicant comes with its own gui tool that has a nice systray applet which handles auto-connecting, and roaming with ease and speed, and notifies you of network changes, and just plain works without a lot of headaches. It sounds like wpa_supplicant would only support WPA, but it supports open and WEP networks too. The drawback is that it needs Qt, but in my opinion, the tradeoff is very worth it.
Attachments
wpa_gui.jpg
(104.57 KiB) Downloaded 720 times