Coming Soon: Fluppy for netbooks, widescreens, smallscreens

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

Coming Soon: Fluppy for netbooks, widescreens, smallscreens

#1 Post by jemimah »

Fluppy is a remix of Puppy 4.3 using Flwm and Rox-Panel, along with customized window tiling and scripting tools.

Why Flwm?
Flwm is a unique window manager, being both extremely lightweight, and sporting vertical titlebars. Vertical titlebars are optimal for widescreen netbooks: fewer problems with tall windows, and better use of available space.

Flwm has no built-in panel to hog your screen space - the taskbar and pager are on the popup menu, visible when you need them, hidden when you don't.

Flwm has independent buttons for vertical and horizontal maximize; you don't know how much you need this until you've tried it.

Flwm works well with my brand new version of the Tile utility. Tile your windows with a grid, horizontal, or vertical stripes, iconify or cascade; remove the titlebars or put them back - all at the touch of a button. This guarantees you get the most of your screen real estate without the learning curve of a tiling or borderless window manager.

Why Rox-Panel?
It comes free with Rox Filer. It's integrated with the pinboard and supports drag and drop.

Rox Panel can hold as many icons as you need, automatically scrolling them on and off screen if they don't fit in the available space - works perfectly even at 640x480. Vertical panels are supported and well-behaved.

Rox-Panel has a menu, a systray, and several monitoring applets that do not require python.

Rox-Panel stays below your windows until you press the hotkey to bring it to the top.

-------

If anyone wants to help me test, I'd be interested in releasing an Eee fastboot kernel and maybe a more general netbook kernel to go with it.

Ideas? Suggestions? What would you like to see in a netbook version of puppy?

Edit: I've posted the latest WMpack download here, so it's easier to find, along with the yaf-panel legend screenshot.
Attachments
yaf-panel.jpg
(76.3 KiB) Downloaded 1625 times
bordeless tile.png
Grid tile with no titlebars.
(111.86 KiB) Downloaded 1649 times
vertical.png
Vertical tiling with titlebars on.
(130.83 KiB) Downloaded 1501 times
Last edited by jemimah on Thu 10 Dec 2009, 21:14, edited 2 times in total.

raffy

atom

#2 Post by raffy »

A puplet for CPUs with the Atom processor will be nice. Will help testing if this build becomes available.

Thanks for your sharing.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

jakfish

#3 Post by jakfish »

I have an eee 900 and would be happy to test that eee-specific kernel.

Jake

jemimah

#4 Post by jemimah »

It would be cool if people with Eees currently running Puppy could post their dmesg output so I know exactly which drivers are needed. I have a very very slim kernel currently running on my eee 1005HA, I can just add the drivers for the other Eees and then see if anything breaks.

To get dmesg output type dmesg > filename.txt on the command line.

panzerpuppy

#5 Post by panzerpuppy »

Fluppy = small Puppy that fits on a 3.5" Floppy :D

jakfish

#6 Post by jakfish »

Since my dmesg output is huge, I've attached it as a "pet" file. Change file extension to .txt and should work (I hope). [attaching txt or doc files not allowed, apparently]

Jake
Attachments
dmesg_for_eee900.pet
(15.09 KiB) Downloaded 661 times

T_Hobbit

#7 Post by T_Hobbit »

I'ld like to help test it!
I not a programmer nor a linux expert, but I'm here with an AAO Linux version dual boot Linpus and Boxpup.
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

jemimah

#8 Post by jemimah »

Thanks jakfish. Could you also post the output of lsmod? You can gzip the text file with gzip filename.txt. I'm pretty sure the forum lets you upload gzipped files.

I will post some test kernels soon. Probably next week. I have to figure out what I will do about hosting.

Have you all tried getting suspend to work? I've got a weird kernel/acpi bug on mine and I'm wondering if all the Eees have it. Basically the Cpus won't go into the low power sleep states after resuming from suspend. You can check this with powertop. I'll post instructions if anyone want to check.

Also a quick tip. Puppy's default kernel doesn't load the i915 (and maybe i810) video card module by default (at least on mine). If you have problems resuming from suspend, black consoles, or running Xorg with DRI - that's probably why.

jakfish

#9 Post by jakfish »

Hi,

Here's the lsmod.txt, and zipped, I hope.

Jake
Attachments
lsmod_eee900.zip
(963 Bytes) Downloaded 519 times

jemimah

#10 Post by jemimah »

perfect, thank you!

T_Hobbit

#11 Post by T_Hobbit »

From my wife Acer Aspire One 110 (Atom, RAM 512mb, SSD 8Gb, 8.9'' LCD):
Attachments
lsmod.zip
lsmod from Acer Aspire One 110. lsmod performed @ Linpus
(999 Bytes) Downloaded 518 times
dmesg.zip
dmesg from Acer Aspire One 110. dmesg performed @ Linpus
(7.22 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
Last edited by T_Hobbit on Fri 02 Oct 2009, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

jemimah

#12 Post by jemimah »

Yes I need lsmod too. I originally thought all the drivers would appear in dmesg, but it looks like I was wrong about that.

magerlab

#13 Post by magerlab »

is it possible to cut Xorg also to leave only intel drivers for eee ?

jemimah

#14 Post by jemimah »

Yes you can cut xorg down to just intel, but by my calculation it saves only a couple megs.

[Whereas, cutting down the kernel saves like 30 megs; ok I just checked, it's around 20 MB savings]

luther349

#15 Post by luther349 »

yea the atom kernel is very fast. some beta distros built for netbooks are using it. where talking like instant on and stuff. i think moblin takes 5 seconds to start.

jemimah

#16 Post by jemimah »

Moblin actually takes about 45 seconds to start on my computer. The kernel is lightning fast but they weighed it down with a lot of daemons and Gnomey-crap.

My record speed for booting puppy is 13 seconds (to Xvesa, Xorg adds another few seconds).

puppyiso

#17 Post by puppyiso »

Since Fluppy is for netbooks, please make sure it works with most wireless centered netbooks.

My 3 year old Toshiba works well when booted Puppy but my new netbook doesn't.

jakfish

#18 Post by jakfish »

With frugal install to class 6 4gb Kingston sd, 900mhz selected in eee 900 BIOS, I cold boot to 4.3 desktop in 42 seconds (no grub, no unenbootin menu choice of linux flavor).

I realize that usb/sd booting is the slowest way to go, but would love shave off some time nonetheless.

Jake

eztuxer

#19 Post by eztuxer »

I'd love to test it on my AAO 150 @1.6 GHz with 1;5 GB ram and 8.9" screen.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

jemimah

#20 Post by jemimah »

puppyiso, what kind of network problems are you experiencing? Driver problems? Or the networking wizard does't work?

I've been attempting to port Moblin's Connman to puppy, but no luck so far.