Installed pets don't show up in 4.2 or 4.3 menus.

Booting, installing, newbie
desellier

Installed pets don't show up in 4.2 or 4.3 menus.

#1 Post by desellier »

Hey guys, I just signed up to the forums, puppy seems like a great place for me to begin my voyage into linux and it seems to run the fastest out of Ubuntu, xubuntu and fedora plus its so small and packs a huge punch! My hat is off to the guys who help get this nifty OS up and running. But here is my problem and let me try to explain the best I can (again I'm a newb to the OS, and Linux in general) I'm having problems using the PET installer to get the "official" packages up and running. When I browse over to the Pet installer and go to download a package, everything works well. It gets downloaded, everything gets the successful message and it appears that all is good and well. BUT, after it asks me If i want to trim the package (I always click no) and then it gives me the final "this program has been installed!" the problems begin for me. Immediately I browse over to the menu and it shows that nothing has been installed. I've tried to refresh JWM, and still nothing. I've also tried re-installing the system, upgrading from 4.2.5 to 4.3 ( now my current version) changing from xorg to xvesa.. I think thats about it. I've browsed for the installed files in the file manager and they all seem to be there which is the weird thing, though when i try to run them in the terminal like say, that tetris game (gtktetris or something?) it wont work. I've tried getting some help in the IRC, searched google as well as these forums and haven't got an answer. I also want to let you guys know I'm running puppy off a 4gb san disk stick, for i don't have any other current working HD. If somebody could please give me some help on what to try or do, that would be amazing. Thanks for all your time, hope to get an answer soon. Thanks again!

-DeSellier

rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

Installed gtktetris and cursor themes pets from packgage
manager. Did trim fat for both. Pup430

Gtktetris does not have menu entry....located in usr/share/applications.
Cursor themes does have menu entry.

Use "Pfind" to find file locations

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

James C

#3 Post by James C »

Did you restart the X server?

Menu/Shutdown/Restart X server

HTH.

desellier

#4 Post by desellier »

Thanks both of you for the fast reply, i much appreciate it. Rj, I'm going to try what you said in the in ghd morning. As far as xserver goes James, yes i've tried that, with no avail. And I also seem to have problems with xserver, every time i try to re-start it, my cursor disappears which is trouble. I end up having to re boot my comp to get the mouse back up on screen. I'm sure their is a fix for this, yet to read up on it though, mainly just been staying away from xserver for now until i can get apps up and running. Thanks guys for the help though, I'll let you know tomorrow if they end up working!

James C

#5 Post by James C »

What error message do you get when trying to run an application from the terminal?

Good luck.

desellier

#6 Post by desellier »

Thanks a bunch for the help you guys. This is what I found: I'm just going to use the game "freecell" from the pet installer as an example for this.

1.I've downloaded freecell with the petinstaller
2.I browse over to the menu in the lower left corner, free cell has not appeared.
3. tried re-starting JWM, no luck of it appearing.
4. searched for the file, file came up in the usr/share/applications folder.
5. The file is in bold letters and named Freecell-.desktop, its some kind of file i dont recognize, the icon is 0101010 over a gray background. and can't be opened by just a click.

I know I'm probably doing somthing seriously wrong here, but please, if you could let me know how to fix this, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks again for your time guys.

desellier

#7 Post by desellier »

Well, i had a bit of success actually a sec ago. I used the pfind command and i found the executable file in the /usr/local/lib/freecell folder which is cool, because i could click it and run the program horray! Hah but, i'm still having trouble getting it to show up in the system menu. Thanks again.

trapster

#8 Post by trapster »

try:
which freecell
in the console. It should list /usr/local/bin/freecell

if not, open rox and go to to /usr/local/bin. Right click in an empty area and choose "new > script".
Name it /usr/local/bin/freecell. Then right click on /usr/local/bin/freecell and choose "open as text" then Copy this in it:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

cd /usr/local/lib/freecell
/usr/local/lib/freecell/freecell
Then click on "File > Save" then close it.
Then make it executable by right clicking on it again and choosing "Permissions" and choose "Yes"

For the menu, right click on /usr/share/applications/freecell.desktop and choose "open as text".
Make it look like this:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Freecell 
Icon=mini-trebol.xpm
Comment=Freecell 
Exec=freecell
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Game
GenericName=Freecell 
Restart x or jwm to refresh the menu
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

ctsdownloads

#9 Post by ctsdownloads »

Been following this today, but the question remains - is there a fix for missing menue entries?

It is going to be a big job to create icons manually for each app I have installed! :)

Hoping there is a patch or something. I have restarted things all day, nothing is fix it so far.

Kal

#10 Post by Kal »

After you have done what trapster has said, you may need to run with terminal console the command "fixmenus" (no quotes). I don't believe anyone mentioned this. This rebuilds the menu from the xxxx.desktop(s) in /usr/share/applications. Then restart Joe's Window Manager (JWM).

Puppy 4.30 doesn't normally come with refreshmenus in the main menu as Puppy 4.21 had.