Eee Atom CPU control - testing

Using applications, configuring, problems
dawnsboy

#61 Post by dawnsboy »

@rhadon

OOPS!

They say that hearing is the last to go. So mental clarity must be the first to go. :o

01micko

#62 Post by 01micko »

Hi guys

dawnsboy

Thanks for that info!

rhadon

Thanks for that feedback, good to hear it is working. :)

tempestuous

I pmed you a .pet similar to this one but I adjusted the pinstall.sh script in this one. I'll release this for a test. .

Everyone

This .pet combines the 2 guis and extra weight is only half a kb. There is a reason behind combining the 2 but I wont get into that. It contains a pininstall.sh scripts that detects if you have a Celeron or Atom and installs the necessary command.
I at least want to hear if it works on any Celeron (other than 701SD, which I have) or any Atom. So I need feedback from at least 2 users. The main scripts are identical to the latest .pets, so no need for sceeenshots, just remember, if you have a Celeron you should see 2 radio buttons in the window, if you have an Atom you should see 3 radiobuttons in the window.

IMPORTANT: Please uninstall the previous .pet with petget (PPM) and restart your WM then check that the old menu entry is gone. Then install this .pet.

Cheers

Ok, pet removed yet again, but that is testing for you! 8) New one up shortly.
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 06 Oct 2009, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jemimah

#63 Post by jemimah »

I have a 1005ha Atom and got only 2 buttons and they don't really seem to do anything.

prehistoric

Atom and Celeron reversed?

#64 Post by prehistoric »

I just tried your latest pet (eee-cpucontrol-0.2) on my EEEPC 900A with 4.30 installed. Also, the tempestuous pets for eee 0.2 kernel 2.6.30.5, xbacklite1.1, and acpid. When I went to uninstall the previous version with the PPM, I noticed the description said it was the Celeron version, even though the pet is distinctly labeled for the eeePC Atom. This latest pet, above, only shows two radio buttons on what is definitely an Atom processor. I have also had a stack trace during boot up, with both the version labeled Atom and this latest, which I suspect comes from loading the wrong module or attempting the wrong control action.

Could your pet have the cases for Atom and Celeron backwards?

Added: The stack trace on startup disappeared when I uninstalled the tempestuous eee-0.2-k2.6.30.5.pet. Does this represent a known problem?

rhadon

#65 Post by rhadon »

Hi,

before I test the new one ( tomorrow) some words about the old one (should be the same if the main scrips are identcal):

After first install CPU speed changing works perfect and directly. About fan speed: there was no /var/log/eee-fan.log and whatever I changed in this window ( Enable logging, Verbose logging and Apply now ticked) nothing happened. After shutdown and starting new (perhaps reboot is adequate) I got the log and also fan worked like expected.

What I don't like:
After every new start or reboot the CPU speed is 900MHz (Performance) no matter what I select.
If I change fan speed it takes only effect if temperature is lower than min or after reboot ( 'Apply now' ticked, changing min. and max. temperature not tested now).

Last not least one suggestion or what I would like:
To be on the safe side I would like to have a third temperature value.
For example: the fan starts with temp max. 50C with speed 40 till temp goes under 40C and starts again over 50C . So far so good. But if temp grows more and more there should be another value the fan works with max.
Just my opinion 8) and I hope it doesn't sound too negative. I like this feature and that GUI :)

~ Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

tempestuous

#66 Post by tempestuous »

rhadon wrote:CPU speed changing works fine, testing fan control takes more time
That's ominous. jakfish has just reported that fanspeed control is generally not working, unless you manually restart the fan control daemon script.

So the fan control daemon definitely works, but configuration changes for this daemon fail to take effect immediately.
It appears to me that the fan control gui was not debugged when it was first released.

Can someone have a look at the fan control scripts?
/usr/sbin/eee-fan-config.sh
/usr/sbin/eee-fan-ctrl.sh

It appears to me that when "Apply now" is checked, the fan daemon is stopped, but I can't see how it's started again?

01micko

#67 Post by 01micko »

Hi ,

Little help, can any of you try this command? It is independent of all pets. (try even if you have an Atom, of course should not work)

Code: Select all

#grep "Celeron" /proc/cpuinfo
Now, this one is more important for all Celeron users, be it 900, 701, 701SD, whatever... I would like to check what output you get from this.

grep 'Celeron' /proc/cpuinfo | cut -d '(' -f2 | tail -c8
Cheers and thanks
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 06 Oct 2009, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.

rhadon

#68 Post by rhadon »

# grep "Celeron" /proc/cpuinfo
model name      : Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor          900MHz
~ Rolf

01micko

#69 Post by 01micko »

Thanks rhadon, that is what I'm after :)

While you were posting I was editing with an extra command. Can you try that one please?

Thanks

rhadon

#70 Post by rhadon »

# grep 'Celeron' /proc/cpuinfo | cut -d '(' -f2 | tail -c8
Celeron
~ Rolf

01micko

#71 Post by 01micko »

jemimah and prehistoric

There is a bug in the last .pet (0.2) so could you please run this script I attached. It will fix your problem. Then try to run "eeecontrol", then select your preferred setting and use tempestuous' commands in the first post of this thread to verify all is working.

Thanks

rhadon, this should work for you too if you install the 0.2.pet.

Cheers
Attachments
pinstall.sh.gz
(280 Bytes) Downloaded 267 times
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 06 Oct 2009, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#72 Post by 01micko »

Thanks Rolf.

Expected result :)

Mick

01micko

#73 Post by 01micko »

Since rhadon's test was ok and no one else has complained I will let version 3 go.

Here it is...

NEWER .pet ... see page 8
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 09 Oct 2009, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

prehistoric

cpu control 0.3

#74 Post by prehistoric »

On my eeePC 900A I get this cpu model name

model name    :  Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.6 GHz
When I run 0.3 and set 'powersave', I get this

# cat /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/cpufv
Set 'performance' and get

Set 'normal' and get

All this looks right.

One minor note about GUI, in most designs an 'apply' button does what 'Set CPU mode' does here, while 'OK' does an 'apply' and closes the window. A 'cancel' button, like you had earlier, closes the window without applying. If people expect the 'OK' to set mode, they may be misled.

On the subject of fan control, restarting the demon is important. We might also consider ultimate limits: one to run fan at full speed, one to shut down quickly to prevent burning the CPU. (Just display an emergency message and stop within a few seconds. If we are sure the ultimate limit is above the full speed limit, we can use the full speed temperature to trigger display of the message. That way, if the ultimate limit is reached, the sudden shutdown won't be a surprise.) I noticed that ASUS added a patch to shut down to avoid burning a CPU to their fan control after this model was released.

tempestuous

#75 Post by tempestuous »

prehistoric wrote:If people expect the 'OK' to set mode, they may be misled.
I believe the lowermost button should be labelled "Close" or "Exit".

"Cancel" is also misleading, because it implies that changes made in the higher windows may be canceled, which is untrue.

rhadon

#76 Post by rhadon »

Hi,

I've tested the new eee-cpucontrol-0.3.pet.

I can't see any difference to old .pet (meaning the Celeron part). To be exactly, /var/log/eee-fan.log appeard with the first run. The rest seems to be the same:

After reboot it starts with the CPU speed 900 MHz, no matter I selected before.

Changing fan speed takes only effect after reboot, by temp < min. than reaching temp.max. or by running pinstall.sh manually.

~ Rolf

01micko

#77 Post by 01micko »

Ok, Thanks for reports.

I think then I will change the gui button to exit.

It's time for a script in /root/Startup to execute the last remembered state..

Cheers

tempestuous

#78 Post by tempestuous »

rhadon wrote:After reboot it starts with the CPU speed 900 MHz, no matter I selected before.
A word of caution guys;
I wouldn't assume that rhadon's CPU speed is actually 900 MHz. The gui might be lying!

Rolf, immediately after booting, I suggest you run this command -

cat /proc/eee/fsb
If you see "100 24 1" then yes, your CPU speed is 900MHz.
But if you see "70 24 1" then your CPU speed is 630MHz.

Now run the gui to check what CPU speed it reports.

01micko wrote:It's time for a script in /root/Startup to execute the last remembered state.
Yes, that's what the Ubuntu Eee packages do ... but it's not necessarily the best approach.
Having your Eee boot up with the default CPU speed (as defined by ASUS) is not a bad thing.

rhadon

#79 Post by rhadon »

tempestuous wrote:Rolf, immediately after booting, I suggest you run this command -

cat /proc/eee/fsb
Yes, I always did since I started reading this thread :wink:

~ Rolf

01micko

#80 Post by 01micko »

Hmmmmm...

I have had an error on reboot and can't fix it. (701SD)

When I "cat /proc/eee/fsb" it returns "30 15 0" .. very strange, and I can't get away from it... even using small increments, no good. I can do "echo 30 15 1 > /proc/eee/fsb" and that's about it. (I understand the 3rd field is for voltage). If I change the 15 for 24 the machine crashes, if I increase 30 to 35 the machine crashes. I can't find any pertinent info either. :?

A small script in /root/Startup or even a line in etc/rc.d/rc.local (I favour the script) could tell the gui to be in default mode on boot. But.. what is the default on an Atom? I expect "Normal" but I can't assume this.

I have the fan showing up in 'Pwidgets', but what do we want to display? I would favour "rpm" (cat /proc/eee/fan_rpm). I can also mod it for plain 'conky' too. In fact I can make a "eee widget" with fsb info too. Ideas anyone?