Eee Atom CPU control - testing

Using applications, configuring, problems
tempestuous

#46 Post by tempestuous »

Oh, has ASUS granted you copyright permission to use their Eee logo?!

01micko

#47 Post by 01micko »

One more thing, no calling script so it cannot be run from commandline unless you type the full path.

(I did alter the logo, and I did think of that, if you want just put in a puppy logo)

Well I made a puppy logo only. It is offset to counteract the alignment gtkdialog uses. It looks fine and will avoid any nasty issues (er, if asus get nasty).

Code: Select all

<pixmap>
 <input file>/usr/share/eeecontrol/puppy.png</input>
</pixmap>
EDIT: I just redid the puppy logo, it was too wide.(5:05PM)
Attachments
puppy.png
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 978 times
eee-pup.png
(33.51 KiB) Downloaded 964 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

Hmmmm...

I have a Celeron but I cannot test my pet. Mine is the Eeepc 701SD , which has been conforming to all the Atom commands. I guess they (asus) upgraded more than the wireless chipset in the 701SD. None of the other commands designed for Celerons work, all dotpets installed in order and rebooted. (..that hurt because it was running for 4 days :lol: )

Anyway, I coded all the necessary changes to make the gui appear intuitive (it's the same as the Atom gui minus 1 radiobutton). I hope it works because I was flying blind. Thanks to tempestuous and dawnsboy.

I'm releasing this as a dotpet because it needs to be tested, there should be no dire consequences, but, in saying that I can accept no responsibility. No need for a screeny because it is the same, less a button, as the Atom gui.

Really a new thread should be started for "Eee Celeron" testing.

Cheers

EDIT: .pet removed, see newer post.
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 03 Oct 2009, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

rhadon

#49 Post by rhadon »

Hi,

just installed eeecontrol-CeleronM-CPU-test.pet. Running it from Menu->System nothing happens. Running from terminal I get

eee-fan-ctrl.sh: Error: failed to load module eee.ko
Running eee-fan-config.sh seems to work.

Please tell me if I miss something.

~ Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

tempestuous

#50 Post by tempestuous »

rhadon wrote:

eee-fan-ctrl.sh: Error: failed to load module eee.ko
rhadon, you need to install eee-0.2-k2.6.30.5.pet
from
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 452#346452

01micko

#51 Post by 01micko »

Oh dear, made a mistake when packaging the last dotpet (incorrect menu entry) :oops: . But maybe a good thing for you rhadon or you may not have found out you need the eee driver.

Try this one.
Pet removed, third time lucky :roll: :oops: See newr post.

Sorry guys.
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 04 Oct 2009, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

tempestuous

#52 Post by tempestuous »

01micko,
There's still a small error in /usr/local/eeecontrol/eeecontrol-cel
The location of two image files is wrong:
<input file>/root/eeecontrol.png</input>
<input file>/root/puppy.png</input>

they should be -
<input file>/usr/share/eeecontrol/eeecontrol.png</input>
<input file>/usr/share/eeecontrol/puppy.png</input>

01micko

#53 Post by 01micko »

deleted
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 04 Oct 2009, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#54 Post by 01micko »

Well there should be nothing wrong with this pet fingers crossed (which is how I've been typing lately, with my fingers crossed :lol: )

I can now test this on my Celeron and it works.

I had to run depmod-FULL then "modprobe eee" to get the driver to load, a bit perplexing but nevertheless it worked. When I run "cat /proc/eee/fsb" I get the correct results, and my menu entry is working :)

If anyone installed the older pet you must uninstall with the PPM (petget) and restart your WM or X (I restarted X) so that the old menu entry is cleared.

Enjoy

EDIT: dotpet removed... you know the drill...
Cheers

Mick
Attachments
eee-cel.png
(21.12 KiB) Downloaded 930 times
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 04 Oct 2009, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

tempestuous

#55 Post by tempestuous »

01micko wrote:I had to run depmod-FULL then "modprobe eee" to get the driver to load
Thanks for that information. It's consistent with other reports I have heard, although it only affects some people ... I can't reproduce the problem on my hardware.
So I have just repackaged all drivers in the "Extras for Puppy 4.3 with 2.6.30.5 kernel" thread to include depmod-FULL.

tempestuous

#56 Post by tempestuous »

Mick, we're almost there, but my focus on user interface design prompts me to ask;
what's the difference in functionality between the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons?

01micko

#57 Post by 01micko »

Ah yes... no need for 2, I'll leave the cancel button, ditch OK.

brb

01micko

#58 Post by 01micko »

Here we go, I think these pets will suit.

I went against what I said before.... "OK" is more intuitive than "Cancel" where a user might think he is not making a change. If they want to exit the window there is the 'x' in the corner, everyone knows that. In saying that, "OK" just exits the window anyway. Windows users are used to the "Apply, OK" drill.

I did both, Atom and Celeron, they both conform, obviously with the Celeron version with only 2 radio buttons. I dropped "test" too from the names. I tested both new pets because I made name changes, an easy way to come unstuck.

Cheers
Attachments
Atom-and-Celeron.png
(34.7 KiB) Downloaded 934 times
eeecontrol-CeleronM-CPU.pet
(12.37 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
eeecontrol-Atom-CPU.pet
(12.25 KiB) Downloaded 356 times

dawnsboy

701SD FSB is 400MHz

#59 Post by dawnsboy »

@rhadon

I thought that it might be helpful to point out the following information. Note that the 701SD which was released later than 701 4G/8G models is significantly different than the 701 4G/8G series of Asus Eeepc netbooks. The motherboards and batteries are not interchangeable, the SSD drive is a removable mini PCI-e drive rather than the soldered in design present on the 701 motherboard. The case is said to be similar to that of the 900 with slightly different "edges".

However the most significant difference is the setting of the FSB at 400MHz as shown in the tabe below.
PI DATE : April 2009
PRODUCT : Eee PC 701SD
COLOR : White
PROC : Intel Celeron M 353 (512K L2 cache, FSB: 400 MHz)
CHIPSET : Intel 9l0GML/ICH6-M
MEM : 512MB DDR2 SO DIMM, Max 2GB
STORAGE : Total: 18GB, Flash & HDD: 8GB, Online Eee storage: 10GB
DISPLAY : 7" Display 800 x 480 (WVGA), LED Backlight
GRAPHICS: Intel UMA
NTWK : 10/100 Mbps LAN, 802.11 b/g wireless,
AUDIO : Hi-Definition Audio CODEC, Build-in stereo speaker (1W for each)
Analog Mic
PORTS : 1 (D-sub 15-pin for external monitor), 3 USB 2.0, 1 RJ-45
2 Head phone / Mic-in
WEBCAM : 0.3 Megapixel
CARD READER: MMC/ SD(SDHC)
BATT : 4-Cell 4400 mAH Battery
DIM : 225(W) x 160(D) x 20~32 mm(H)
WEIGHT : 950g w/ batt
The FSB on the standard 701 4G8G is 70MHz.

rhadon

#60 Post by rhadon »

tempestuous wrote:rhadon, you need to install eee-0.2-k2.6.30.5.pet from...
Thank you. Shame on me. I've completely overlooked that thread :oops: .

@ 01micko: Now your eeecontrol-CeleronM-CPU.pet works fine and looks good to me :D
To be exactly, CPU speed changing works fine, testing fan control takes more time :wink:

@ dawnsboy: Thanks for information. Although it's more informative for 01micko ( I have an EeePc 900 original).

~ Rolf

dawnsboy

#61 Post by dawnsboy »

@rhadon

OOPS!

They say that hearing is the last to go. So mental clarity must be the first to go. :o

01micko

#62 Post by 01micko »

Hi guys

dawnsboy

Thanks for that info!

rhadon

Thanks for that feedback, good to hear it is working. :)

tempestuous

I pmed you a .pet similar to this one but I adjusted the pinstall.sh script in this one. I'll release this for a test. .

Everyone

This .pet combines the 2 guis and extra weight is only half a kb. There is a reason behind combining the 2 but I wont get into that. It contains a pininstall.sh scripts that detects if you have a Celeron or Atom and installs the necessary command.
I at least want to hear if it works on any Celeron (other than 701SD, which I have) or any Atom. So I need feedback from at least 2 users. The main scripts are identical to the latest .pets, so no need for sceeenshots, just remember, if you have a Celeron you should see 2 radio buttons in the window, if you have an Atom you should see 3 radiobuttons in the window.

IMPORTANT: Please uninstall the previous .pet with petget (PPM) and restart your WM then check that the old menu entry is gone. Then install this .pet.

Cheers

Ok, pet removed yet again, but that is testing for you! 8) New one up shortly.
Last edited by 01micko on Tue 06 Oct 2009, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#63 Post by jemimah »

I have a 1005ha Atom and got only 2 buttons and they don't really seem to do anything.

prehistoric

Atom and Celeron reversed?

#64 Post by prehistoric »

I just tried your latest pet (eee-cpucontrol-0.2) on my EEEPC 900A with 4.30 installed. Also, the tempestuous pets for eee 0.2 kernel 2.6.30.5, xbacklite1.1, and acpid. When I went to uninstall the previous version with the PPM, I noticed the description said it was the Celeron version, even though the pet is distinctly labeled for the eeePC Atom. This latest pet, above, only shows two radio buttons on what is definitely an Atom processor. I have also had a stack trace during boot up, with both the version labeled Atom and this latest, which I suspect comes from loading the wrong module or attempting the wrong control action.

Could your pet have the cases for Atom and Celeron backwards?

Added: The stack trace on startup disappeared when I uninstalled the tempestuous eee-0.2-k2.6.30.5.pet. Does this represent a known problem?

rhadon

#65 Post by rhadon »

Hi,

before I test the new one ( tomorrow) some words about the old one (should be the same if the main scrips are identcal):

After first install CPU speed changing works perfect and directly. About fan speed: there was no /var/log/eee-fan.log and whatever I changed in this window ( Enable logging, Verbose logging and Apply now ticked) nothing happened. After shutdown and starting new (perhaps reboot is adequate) I got the log and also fan worked like expected.

What I don't like:
After every new start or reboot the CPU speed is 900MHz (Performance) no matter what I select.
If I change fan speed it takes only effect if temperature is lower than min or after reboot ( 'Apply now' ticked, changing min. and max. temperature not tested now).

Last not least one suggestion or what I would like:
To be on the safe side I would like to have a third temperature value.
For example: the fan starts with temp max. 50C with speed 40 till temp goes under 40C and starts again over 50C . So far so good. But if temp grows more and more there should be another value the fan works with max.
Just my opinion 8) and I hope it doesn't sound too negative. I like this feature and that GUI :)

~ Rolf