DoomsdayPuppy or PrepperPuppy. What does puppy need?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Atle

DoomsdayPuppy or PrepperPuppy. What does puppy need?

#1 Post by Atle »

Hi all good folks...

I got to say the times are sort of kind of a bit near a what is refereed to as WW3. I am not saying its coming, but I got to say lots of others does so.

So my question and community challenge would be...

What features should be in you dream Puppy to be booted once the internet is gone and its a all out chaos. What values can a computer bring if you lets say did not get EMP'ed and even that is "done".

You got a laptop and your booting it, but for what purpose and what need of a computer could one possibly have? We assume some sort of power source is available such as solar panel or similar. The electric grid is off course out as well.

We all probably understand that ones or if the shit hits the fan, its to late to develop something, as there is no more downloads nor networks.

But Puppy being so neat, with so many great developers and heads...

What should "Doomsday or Prepper Puppy do and provide?
Attachments
dog.jpg
(48.17 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Last edited by Atle on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 20:54, edited 3 times in total.

Atle

#2 Post by Atle »

Reserved :lol:

dancytron

#3 Post by dancytron »

(sorry)
Last edited by dancytron on Thu 03 Nov 2016, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

Atle

#4 Post by Atle »

I give up this after reading the first reply...

Lets just forget this and move on to other subjects that does not attract BS.

Admin please just delete the thread. I cant stand timewasters.

TyroBGinner

#5 Post by TyroBGinner »

Man, that is one tough bitch!

But, come on, you have to admit that the premise and names you used are fairly funny and invite jokes. "PrepperPuppy"??? Surely you were at least somewhat motivated by humor! I know that I found it a bit entertaining.

Be careful, or you might get labeled as a racist, right-wing militia member. But, more seriously, I don't think that the end of the world is upon us. We need to wait for Iran to get nukes first (thanks, Obama). When the apocalypse does come, I don't think that checking my email is going to be one of my priorities. Besides, an EMP would erase emails, anyway. Armageddon seems a long way to go to get Billary off the hook, but I wouldn't put it past them. For the uninitiated, "Billary" is a hybridizing or "portmanteau" of the names Bill and Hillary - kind of like "Brangelina", but less attractive physically.

If the end does come, getting my PC up and running would not be that important compared to finding water, food, and the occasional warm body. And then there's the issue of avoiding the constant dose of lethal radiation.

All I can really suggest for this project is a facility for establishing mesh nets. Maybe that could be of use...somehow.

I am not trying to upset you. Your idea is creative - taking Puppy Linux were no man has gone before. Considering the debauch of puppy variants out there, that is an achievement in itself.

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

It's a great idea Atle - one never knows when the power grid or internet connections might go out for lengthy periods. We lost power here in Auckland for a few days due to an underground cable that caught fire. The whole of the CBD and many homes were dead in the water. Bad network planning rather than ww3 mind you - but bad stuff can happen.

Similarly, NZs internet connection is extremely reliant on one undersea cabke linking us via Hawaii to the US. Wouldnt take much for us to become severely compromised.

There is something called "mesh networking" that allows PCs (or at least routers) tp talk to each other locally via wifi even when the main internet connection is dead in the water. With recent advances in routermaker, wlanmaker etc i wonder if puppy could be used to form local network backbones between adjacent properties?

That is something i have always wanted to achieve - a solar powered PC based neughbourhood network.

smokey01

#7 Post by smokey01 »

There are plenty of locations where the internet is not available so your idea is actually quite good. It won't take a disaster or wwiii to get there, many locations are already there.

A puppy without connectivity could be interesting and quite compact.

Maybe a better name would be Puppy Unplugged.

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

@Atle:

Your OP sounds like a fabulous canvas for a sci-fi novel or movie!!!
Are you a writer? :)

As a partial answer to your question, maybe in such a situation one would
try to revive proximity relays with good old 56K modems, something like
what the old FidoNet had. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FidoNet

@greengeek:

NZ linked to the rest of the Internet through an undersea cable to Hawai?
Wow! Are you sure?

Aren't there any satellites in the skies of the Southern Hemisphere?
I mean: you guys need dedicated Internet satellite links pronto!!!

BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

TeX Dog

#9 Post by TeX Dog »

DVDs and BluRay media are EMP proof. Also should come prepacked with free to reprint disaster info like most of the great book NWSS (google it) there are updated versions which mix new info ( copyrighted ) and older which is free to copy. On-line versions exists.
Like idea for mesh network with open source phone and such. As my Northern State little Bro Oklahoma had horrible lack of EVERYTHING no phones no lights no motor cars ... ( oh wait ) Family was unable to reach out for days after a massive Tornado.

drunkjedi

#10 Post by drunkjedi »

musher0 wrote:@greengeek:

NZ linked to the rest of the Internet through an undersea cable to Hawai?
Wow! Are you sure?

I mean: you guys need dedicated Internet satellite links pronto!!!

BFN
That's quite true, I am moderator on forum of World of Tanks Blitz game.
And in last year the cable broke twice, re-routing traffic through other way.
They took 3 weeks to repair it, till then they were facing slow networks.
This means gamers were having high ping and choppy gameplay.

Anyway in a doomsday puppy I would like to have some simple videos of "Man vs Wild" or Lifehacker.
Educating us technology dependants in necessities of life without much tech.

Also a how to make and broadcast radio would be nice with software to help if any...

Morse code teacher.

As there won't be network I think the puppy should be fat not thin.

It should be self contained.
You should only need to get power for it.

TeX Dog

#11 Post by TeX Dog »

I think a disaster puppy which boots on many devices. With very light payload that can setup a mesh net. Then finish loading apps from meshnet apps include weather ( like for tornado radar, there are open source to grab overflight sat data ) some computer phone, open road maps ( there is a google like open source ) then as speed improves from multipath meshes video and youtube like file sharing so help can assess worst hit areas.

TeX Dog

#12 Post by TeX Dog »

homemade weather image downloader using tvtype capture usb.

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/a-tutorial-on-de ... in-ubuntu/

open maps (better than google maps )
https://www.openstreetmap.org/

greengeek

#13 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:NZ linked to the rest of the Internet through an undersea cable to Hawai? Wow! Are you sure?
Well, I thought I was sure about it being a single cable. Turns out the Southern Cross cable does a loop (see attached pic). Definitely both legs of the loop go through Hawaii though. If Pearl Harbour happens again we're stuffed.
Yep, we have satellites, but not for internet access.

EDIT : Nope, I'm wrong again: https://wirelessnation.co.nz/rural/products/satellite
Attachments
375px-Southern_Cross_Cable_route.svg.png
(44.35 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Last edited by greengeek on Fri 04 Nov 2016, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#14 Post by smokey01 »

Does maps.me use openstreetmap?

Apparently it does. Asked and answered by myself :D

musher0

#15 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

In such a situation, you'd probably need info for all sorts of things. So
you'd want to install the Kiwix reader and the offline copy of wikipedia:
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/04/09/d ... -wikipedia

There's a thread on the French side of the forum about it.

On the English side, there are four threads more or less related. Simply
do a forum search with Kiwix as the search term to find them. (Please
see attached pic.)

BFN.
Attachments
forum-search-for-Kiwix_2016-11-04.jpg
(16.07 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mistfire

#16 Post by mistfire »

The real doomsday or prepperpuppy must survive not only loss of internet but also survive year 2038 aka UNIX bug for 32-bit. My x-slacko slim can utilize almost all kinds of linux packages when needed. I wish can also survive unix bug.

greengeek

#17 Post by greengeek »

mistfire wrote:...but also survive year 2038 aka UNIX bug for 32-bit.
Thanks for that info - I had not heard of that and had to Google it. Sounds like the time in the computer will reset to 1901. That'd be interesting - steam powered computing!

TeX Dog

#18 Post by TeX Dog »

run 64bit and it will not loop til universe dies from loss of heat.
anyho, not the type of disaster that would effect most since turning back the clock to a year with same start day of week moon phase happens about every 11 years.
There is an interesting homemade cell service with a blutooth device called goantenna site crashes my RaspPi webbrowser made after Hurricane Sandy knocked out cell service. A open source version with something like RaspPi3 which has both wifi and blutooth build in.
In a densely populated area that could replace all forms of communications, OTA and cable TVs, phone, Internet etc. think of the freedom!

TeX Dog

#19 Post by TeX Dog »

internet-less file sharing box with open source apps.

https://piratebox.cc/raspberry_pi:diy

TyroBGinner

#20 Post by TyroBGinner »

This whole mesh net thing seems to be popular in this topic. All I know about it is that it was on the television show "Person of Interest" - that's why it occurred to me. Next, we can try this.