Running a standalone Window Manager

Using applications, configuring, problems
Chandra

Running a standalone Window Manager

#1 Post by Chandra »

Greetings!

I'm new to this forum but I've been using Puppy linux for some time now, though still a lot to give a try. Anyway, I've just installed XFCE window manager on my MACPUP 525 build and it seems to be working fine. However, whenever the desktop loads I get a glimpse of JOE's window Manager along with desktop icons just before XFWM is loaded. Does that mean XFCE runs on top of JWM? I've a full installation of MACPUP on my harddrive formatted with ext4. Moreover, it runs enlightenment as an alternative window manager (or should I call desktop environment?) and I need a way to remove it since I no longer prefer to use it. I tried checking built-in packages(part of SFS) but none of them list enlightenment window manager to configure with. You guys know any way to deal with this? Thanks for your time!

And of course, if you need any more info, I'd be happy to provide.

`f00

#2 Post by `f00 »

hello Chandra - macpups have been built with e17 integrated as the primary wm (jwm as fallback).

You might be better served by using a 'vanilla' lucid (or even one of Gray's NOPs with xfce already as primary) and adding to it rather than trying to remove e17 in a macpup (where lots of things have been altered/optimized just for enlightenment). Could save you some time in the long run I'd imagine if you really want no e' in your pup (or like the older e16).

Chandra

#3 Post by Chandra »

That seems like a solution for now, thanks. I am used to jwm, I have even configured it to look like Mac theme but E17(or any other version) is unused. So I hoped to have it removed.
And by the way, is there any puppy distro that runs on Xfce alone and not even jwm.

arcanis

#4 Post by arcanis »

Hmm. So you want to remove e17, eh? Why, may I ask? I doubt that it's slowing you down. If you notice that your PC is a bit slower, I would wager it's Xfce that is bulking it up.

Macpup is based on Lucid series Puppy. To run JWM alone, I would think it would be simpler to simply install Lucid 528.005, but then you would also have Openbox as a choice. You can then elect to have JWM as your default desktop environment, or you can play with Openbox, and discover how you like it! However, even if you do choose JWM as your default WM, Openbox will still be there, lurking and haunting you.

Slacko, Puppy 5.3.1, is another story. It uses JWM alone by default. Try it, you'll like it!

`f00

#5 Post by `f00 »

Saluki has been in project development and close to release now, plus another cycle seems on the near horizon with the latest xfce when available.

I'm more about variety in the wm department, they all have appeal of one sort or another :lol:

Chandra

#6 Post by Chandra »

arcanis wrote:Hmm. So you want to remove e17, eh? Why, may I ask? I doubt that it's slowing you down. If you notice that your PC is a bit slower, I would wager it's Xfce that is bulking it up.
e17 is light, there is no doubt about that. It's not the question of running faster or slower just a personal taste of sleek interface. I don't prefer e17 simply because it doesn't display a progress bar for file transfer operations. Besides, XFCE is good, sleek and clean. It suits my needs- allows simple copy-paste of files/folders so that I don't have to drag and drop as in e17, allows quick access to my folders, clean customization and some such. I have enough resources to spare so I wouldn't really care about speed for now. Any way, let me check your recommendations.