How to force agressive WIFI connection?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
smokey01

How to force agressive WIFI connection?

#1 Post by smokey01 »

I have just returned from a 51 day cruise from Southampton which was great except for the difficulties in connecting to the internet via wifi. The service was provided via satellite so it was not all that quick. The problem I found was difficulty in connecting to the local server (hot spot). The process was to start the browser where you would be redirected to a logon page where you typed in your username and password.

It appeared than once you were redirected to the logon page you used up one of the available access points even though you were not logged on. It was very difficult to get a connection as many people were always online. Although the network wizard indicated you had been allocated an IP address there was no guarantee you would be able to connect. Usually if the IP address was allocated within two or three seconds you could connect. Any longer than ten seconds and you were out of luck.

My question is: Is there a way to aggressively force the wizard to connect or at least keep on trying without manually having to continually re-run the wizard. I would like to be able to bump other idle systems off but I'm sure this is not possible. This type of action, I would assume, would have to be done at the server end.

Any ideas?

jemimah

#2 Post by jemimah »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47838
You can try this out and see how it works. It has the feature you want by default.

smokey01

#3 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah wrote:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47838
You can try this out and see how it works. It has the feature you want by default.
Thanks, I will have a look. Does it also force a connection onto a full network? :wink:

jemimah

#4 Post by jemimah »

Probably not. But it will keep trying until it connects and reconnect if you are dropped. It stops short of sending the ping of death to other network users. :)