canon pixma ip2600 printer (solved!!)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
DaveS

#16 Post by DaveS »

Is it not possible to use a 'close' driver from the Gutenprint set supplied as standard? This has worked well for me in the past with HP printers. Would seem like a simple fix.........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Patriot

#17 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@DaveS

It depends on the actual printer in use ... If it still uses similar protocol/language then probably yes ... There are printers with models that seems to be close to one another but uses different protocol/language, so ......

I've done a bit of checking for ip2600 but haven't found any reference to a successful gutenprint driver any where yet .....

Rgds

plankenstein

#18 Post by plankenstein »

Thanks Patriot, I'm at work right now but will check these links when I get home tonight. I sure do appreciate all the hard work you've done on this.

BTW, I love the enhancements you made to JWM. I got that set up on another computer I'm running and it looks sooo cool.

Keep up the good work and I'll get back to you later.
I carefully plan ALL my random acts! :lol:

plankenstein

#19 Post by plankenstein »

@Daves,

I tried several (if not all) of the gutenprint divers for canon printers at one time in the past (even ones that didn't look close) with no luck. Did get it to work with Turbo Print, but just didn't like the "feel" of it. At that time I switched to ubuntu and have it working with that. But, I still keep coming back to puppy and always missed the speed and look of this little distro. Then one day I saw that gposil was working on dpup and thought that maybe that would work with my printer and that's how this grand experiment got started. At this point I have become determined to either make this printer work or go buy a new one, but either way I'm staying with puppy. I just love this little dawg.

DaveS

#20 Post by DaveS »

plankenstein wrote:@Daves,

I tried several (if not all) of the gutenprint divers for canon printers at one time in the past (even ones that didn't look close) with no luck. Did get it to work with Turbo Print, but just didn't like the "feel" of it. At that time I switched to ubuntu and have it working with that. But, I still keep coming back to puppy and always missed the speed and look of this little distro. Then one day I saw that gposil was working on dpup and thought that maybe that would work with my printer and that's how this grand experiment got started. At this point I have become determined to either make this printer work or go buy a new one, but either way I'm staying with puppy. I just love this little dawg.
Totally agree. In fact, I DID buy a new printer (HP Photosmart c4380 wifi) Because it worked well with Puppy. Dont forget the Gutenprint drivers get updated though. I installed a Pixma ip4600 on 4.3 and 4.2.1 today, and there was a native driver........... cool. When you look at the Gutenprint drivers, there seem to be quite a lot of printers covered by a single driver number, but if you tried, I guess you can do no more.....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

plankenstein

#21 Post by plankenstein »

okay, I've made the symlinks, but when I do ldconfig I get command not found? :? BTW, where do I go to turn on debugging in my cups so I can see more of what is going on my self?

Patriot

#22 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
plankenstein wrote:okay, I've made the symlinks, but when I do ldconfig I get command not found? :? BTW, where do I go to turn on debugging in my cups so I can see more of what is going on my self?
Ooops ... sorry, I forgot that ldconfig is in the devx sfs ... it's a small matter ...

To get debug output to the logs :

1. Stop cups (ie: /etc/init.d/cups stop)
2. Edit LogLevel to debug in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
3. You may want to clear previous logs in /var/log/cups
4. restart cups
5. try a print test

Running with debug logging can make the log file really huge in just a short time ...

I'm hoping to get my hands on one of these canon printer to do an actual test ... no one I know has a similar or close enough model ... hmmm ....

Rgds

plankenstein

#23 Post by plankenstein »

I think we're getting closer to getting this, but still not quite. I went ahead and cleared my cups error_log and tried a test page. I didn't get any response from the printer, but with my log level set to debug I see a recurring line that says "Unable to send print file to printer: Broken pipe". :shock: I hope it doesn't leak all over my processor! :wink: Anyway, I'm not sure what is being piped where, so I'm not sure where to look. Any ideas?

Thanks plankenstein

Patriot

#24 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
plankenstein wrote:..... I see a recurring line that says "Unable to send print file to printer: Broken pipe". .....
That's interesting .... would you mind zipping up the logs please ? and also any files that you may have in the folder /etc/udev/rules.d ? It sounds like either a missing usb device link or I borked the cnijusb backend ....

Rgds

plankenstein

#25 Post by plankenstein »

Stupid me! I should have attached my error_log so you could see what I'm talking about. Anyway, better late than never (or after you have to ask).

I'm too slow! You already asked.
Attachments
error_log.tar.gz
(15.7 KiB) Downloaded 821 times

Patriot

#26 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Ok, from the error logs, these lines are of interest to us ...

Code: Select all

D [25/Sep/2009:06:27:57 +0000] [Job 19] pstocanonij: /usr/bin/gs -r600 -g5100x6600 -q -dNOPROMPT -dSAFER -sDEVICE=ppmraw -sOutputFile=- -| /usr/bin/cifip2600 --imageres 600 --papersize letter --media plain --paperload asf --bbox 18,14,594,784 

D [25/Sep/2009:06:27:57 +0000] [Job 19] (Canon) langage moniter[/usr/local/bin/lgmonip2600 --gui --cups] start!

D [25/Sep/2009:06:27:57 +0000] Discarding unused printer-state-changed event...

D [25/Sep/2009:06:27:57 +0000] [Job 19] sh: /usr/local/bin/lgmonip2600: No such file or directory
E [25/Sep/2009:06:27:59 +0000] [Job 19] Unable to send print file to printer: Broken pipe
It seems that it's looking for lgmonip2600 in /usr/local/bin ... it looks like the chain from pstocanonij->cifip2600 doesn't get to lgmonip2600 ....

I took a peek at the driver set and it's in /usr/bin .... so, please make a symlink from /usr/bin/lgmonip2600 to /usr/local/bin/lgmonip2600 ... make a test print and look at the logs again for similar errors ...

I've taken a peek at the udevd files and they're good to go ...

Rgds

plankenstein

#27 Post by plankenstein »

Patriot, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!! :D (I guess? :roll: ) Anyway YOU ROCK!!! Not only does my printer now work in puppy. It works faster than in ubuntu. No, the pages don't actually print any faster, but in ubuntu when you sent a job to the printer it would just sit there for so long you thought it was broke, and THEN start printing. With puppy it's almost instant.

You are now officially my hero, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! :D

Patriot

#28 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ....

Glad to be of help ...

I believe that both of us can now take several deep breaths and relax a little bit more .... I'm really pleased that you're able to get your canon printer working ... :)

I'll be re-tracing our steps here and make a canon ip2600 driver pet for your future reference (and mine too). The driver pet could be of some help to others with the same printer model. Would you like me to notify you when it's ready? BTW, if you think that this issue is fully resolved, kindly edit the first title thread to solved ...

I would like to thank you for your patience ... I wish I could work with more people like you .....

Rgds

plankenstein

#29 Post by plankenstein »

Patriot,

It would be most kind and greatly appreciated if you would let me know when you get that pet done. And I'll save it and burn it to cd and anything else I can do to make sure I have it forever. And for that matter I'm going to print this thread and put it in my notebook for future reference as well. (Now that I can)! :D

As far as marking this thread "solved" it will be my pleasure, I just wanted to wait and see if you had any follow up stuff you needed from me before I did the honors.

And finally, Thank you for YOUR patience with a noob like me. You have been most helpful, and folks like you are the reason I'm here to stay.

Look forward to working with you again sometime.
plankenstein

DaveS

#30 Post by DaveS »

Patriot, help on this level is invaluable to us all, so let me second that thanks.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#31 Post by 01micko »

Good to see you nailed it plankenstein... Patriot is pretty handy, eh? :lol:

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

plankenstein

#32 Post by plankenstein »

@ 01micko,

Pretty handy is a major understatement. This was totally above and beyond the call of duty. With a some time I plan to be able to do the same for someone else some day. But I've got alot to learn before I'm ready for something like this. But learning is half the fun and one of the main reasons I switched to linux in the first place. :)

Patriot

#33 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@plankenstein

Kindly check your pm for the preliminary driver set ...

Rgds

showdownmetal

#34 Post by showdownmetal »

hi. i have this same printer and i've never successfully set up a printer in linux. is there a way to get some links to the right drivers?

thanks.

Patriot

#35 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@showdownmetal, you've just volunteered to be my test subject .... :wink:

Please check your pm for the preliminary patched driver ...

Rgds