canon pixma ip2600 printer (solved!!)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
plankenstein

canon pixma ip2600 printer (solved!!)

#1 Post by plankenstein »

I have a canon pixma ip2600 printer that I am trying to make run on puppy. Canon has a driver for it on their Asia sight in a deb or rpm format. Ttuuxx was kind enough to make a pet for 214X11 out of the deb for me. And, gposil also made a pet for dpup for me. Here's the problem though. I have installed ttuuxxx's pet in 214, 220-alpha, 421, and dpup. I have also used gposil's pet and the deb from canon-asia in dpup and get the same result every time. The driver installs with no problem and cups shows the printer in my set up. But, when I try to print a test page or document the cups interface shows the job as processing and then as finnished, but nothing prints. lsusb shows the printer, and the cups error log shows the jobs going through with no complaints. I'm stumped :?:

Any help for a noob from you wise old dogs would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by plankenstein on Fri 25 Sep 2009, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.
I carefully plan ALL my random acts! :lol:

Patriot

Re: canon pixma ip2600 printer

#2 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
plankenstein wrote:I have a canon pixma ip2600 printer .....
It seems that the drivers requires newer libtiff library ... Try this and post some results ...

Rgds

._.
Attachments
tiff-4.0.0b4-i486.pet
libtiff-4.0.0beta4
(141.73 KiB) Downloaded 1084 times

plankenstein

#3 Post by plankenstein »

Same result as before. Claims to print, shows no errors in cups/error_log. But, nothing from the printer.

A thought just occurred to me! The link @ open printing said to make a symlink from libtiff.so.4 to libtiff.so.3. Should I remove that link now that I have so.4? and if so do I just simply delete in rox or what?

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

Openprinting.org has:
When the printer accepts jobs but doesn't print:
# /usr/lib$ sudo ln -s libtiff.so.4 libtiff.so.3
If you look in /usr/lib, does the symlink exist, and it's not broken?

Patriot

#5 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
plankenstein wrote:Same result as before. Claims to print, shows no errors in cups/error_log. But, nothing from the printer.

A thought just occurred to me! The link @ open printing said to make a symlink from libtiff.so.4 to libtiff.so.3. Should I remove that link now that I have so.4? and if so do I just simply delete in rox or what?
Could you kindly zip up the error log please ? .... and puppy version plus cups version ...

Look in /usr/share/cups/model for your ip2600 ppd file ..... If using cups 1.1.23 then you'll have to put the ppd (or symlink) into /usr/share/cups/model ... recent cups versions will also look in /usr/share/ppd ...

The symlink stuffs can be left as it is ... There's some confusion about libtiff versions ... The current stable is libtiff v3.9.1 (with lib.so.3) ... bigtiff is based on libtiff v3.8.2 with lib.so bumped to 4 ... so, libtiff v4 will be using lib.so.5 to avoid clashing with bigtiff ... I was given the impression that since they're all backwards compatible (libtiff v4 = bigtiff v4 (unofficial) >= libtiff v3, except newer API/ABI) symlink so.lib.4 to lib.so.5 should be safe enough ...

Rgds

plankenstein

#6 Post by plankenstein »

The link is there along with many others. Actually, it's a little confusing. I have libtiff.so.3 linked to libtiff.so.4. which is a symlink to libitff.so.5.0.1. There is also a symlink libtiff.so.5 that is linked to libtiff.5.0.1 also. My head hurts! I'm not real sure how to tell if they're broken, but if I mouse over them they show where they are linked to and if I right click them and click show target the correct lib flashes. With the exception of so.3, when I right click and show target it flashes libtiff.so.5.0.1. But that seems to be the ultimate destination for it so I guess that's okay? :?

Oops! Patriot answered while I was typing.
Last edited by plankenstein on Wed 23 Sep 2009, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

plankenstein

#7 Post by plankenstein »

@ Patriot

At the moment I'm running in dpup, but I've gotten the same results in 421and 214X11, my cups version is 1.3.8 and here's my error log. Hope this helps.
Attachments
cups_error_log.tar.gz
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 913 times

Patriot

#8 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@plankenstein

A quick peek at the logs indicates that the filter stuffs now looks ok ...

The printer uri may need to be corrected ... I believe that for canon ip2600, it should be ex: cnij_usb:/dev/usb/lp0 .... The cnij_usb is part of the canon common driver set to complete the canon driver/filter chain and should be used instead of cups usb ...

The uri can be modified in cups web interface or you can setup anew in a terminal like this, ex:

# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p CANONIP2600 -m canonip2600.ppd -v cnij_usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E

(note: it could be either /dev/lp0 or /dev/usb/lp0 ... depending on the udev rules on dpup, I don't know as I'm not on dpup ... p421 and p430 uses /dev/usb/lp0 for usb printers)

Also kindly verify that your ppd file (canonip2600.ppd) should be in the folder stated previously ...

Rgds

plankenstein

#9 Post by plankenstein »

Okay, that ppd is in both folders. When I go into cups web interface and try to modify my printer or add a new one and select the device that gives me that uri, I get an error saying "bad device uri". If I try to do it from a terminal I get a message "unable to copy ppd file". And I have almost no idea what I'm doing at this point. :?

Edit: fixed my bad typing

Patriot

#10 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
plankenstein wrote:..... an error saying "bad device uri"......
Is you printer connected and turned on ?
plankenstein wrote:..... from a terminal I get a message "unable to copy ppd file".....
This indicate that the ppd file is either not in the required folder or not registered with cups. So,

1. the file canonip2600.ppd should be in /usr/share/cups/model
2. Restart cups ex:

# /etc/init.d/cups restart

.... to get cups to register the ppd ...

I have simulated the printer driver installation ... I do get the bad device uri since I don't have a canon ip2600 ... but this tells me that the driver install chain is working ...

Rgds

plankenstein

#11 Post by plankenstein »

Oops, the "unable to copy ppd file" error was my bad. The ppd file in /usr/share/cups/model was named canon.ppd. Renamed and now I get the same bad uri message as in cups web interface. The printer is connected and on and lsusb shows it as:
# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04a9:10c8 Canon, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

So, what should I try next?

Patriot

#12 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Please give me a moment ... I'm making some reference checks to CUPS backend details ... There's a post (somewhere on the web) saying that cups has a bug with backends with an underscore (needs to be verified) ... I'll see if I can do something about it ...

Rgds

Patriot

#13 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

After my last post, I got borked down with intermittent net connection. It seems to affect certain part of my area ... even my backup lines are affected ... until this is resolved, I may not be able to get back to the forum so soon after this ...

Well ...

It seems that the underscore thing is not a bug but a feature .... :)

Cups backends must not have underscore(s) in them ... I've yet to determine exactly which versions does this but for now we should consider all cups 1.3.x have this checking ...

I have made one minor change to the cnij_usb sources by removing the underscore reference. Using the new usb backend, I am able to add a canon ip2600 by either using the cups web interface or the lpadmin command line ... but of course, it doesn't print to thin air ...

If you're willing to give this a shot :

1. Get the attached file and unpack it somewhere
2. Goto /usr/lib/cups/backend and (backup) copy cnij_usb to somewhere else (not in the same folder)
3. Place the new cnijusb into /usr/lib/cups/backend
4. In a terminal, restart cups ex: # /etc/init.d/cups restart
5. Add you printer either using the cups web interface (http://localhost:631) or lpadmin method above ...
6. Let's see how it goes ....

Rgds
Attachments
cnijusb.tar.gz
patched cnijusb common canon driver set v2.90
(6.03 KiB) Downloaded 1030 times

plankenstein

#14 Post by plankenstein »

Well Patriot, I hate to say this but still no joy. It did at least let me set up the printer without the bad uri message. But still doesn't print. No complaints in the error log, jobs show completed, just no printing? I have an early day ahead of me tomorrow, so I'll come back to this after work.

Thanks for all your help on this thing, I'm sure it must be frustrating for you too. But, maybe I'll learn something along the way. Isn't that what linux is all about?

Patriot

#15 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@plankenstein

I've just grabbed the canon ip2600 driver set packaged by ttuuxxx and gposil ... It seems that certain symlinks were missing for the libs ... perhaps they were unaware of these ...

Kindly look in /usr/lib for the files listed below and the symlinks for them (required by the canon driver set). If the symlinks are missing, just create them (right click on the lib file and select link):

(in this order: library name -->> symlink)

1. libcnbpcmcm331.so.7.03.1 -->> libcnbpcmcm331.so

2. libcnbpcnclapi331.so.3.3.1 -->> libcnbpcnclapi331.so

3. libcnbpcnclbjcmd331.so.3.3.0 -->> libcnbpcnclbjcmd331.so

4. libcnbpcnclui331.so.3.3.1 -->> libcnbpcnclui331.so

5. libcnbpess331.so.3.1.0 -->> libcnbpess331.so

6. libcnbpo331.so.1.0.1 -->> libcnbpo331.so

Once done, open a terminal and do a:
# ldconfig

I've made the symlinks (to my driver set) when doing some dependency checks earlier on and I thought that the ip2600 driver pets (by others) have already included them ...

I'm running cups with debug log turned on and I get usb device not found (obviously) when printing to the (simulated) ip2600 ... the driver/filter chain seems complete to me ... (now, if only I could get my hands on a similar canon .......)

Rgds
Last edited by Patriot on Thu 24 Sep 2009, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#16 Post by DaveS »

Is it not possible to use a 'close' driver from the Gutenprint set supplied as standard? This has worked well for me in the past with HP printers. Would seem like a simple fix.........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Patriot

#17 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@DaveS

It depends on the actual printer in use ... If it still uses similar protocol/language then probably yes ... There are printers with models that seems to be close to one another but uses different protocol/language, so ......

I've done a bit of checking for ip2600 but haven't found any reference to a successful gutenprint driver any where yet .....

Rgds

plankenstein

#18 Post by plankenstein »

Thanks Patriot, I'm at work right now but will check these links when I get home tonight. I sure do appreciate all the hard work you've done on this.

BTW, I love the enhancements you made to JWM. I got that set up on another computer I'm running and it looks sooo cool.

Keep up the good work and I'll get back to you later.

plankenstein

#19 Post by plankenstein »

@Daves,

I tried several (if not all) of the gutenprint divers for canon printers at one time in the past (even ones that didn't look close) with no luck. Did get it to work with Turbo Print, but just didn't like the "feel" of it. At that time I switched to ubuntu and have it working with that. But, I still keep coming back to puppy and always missed the speed and look of this little distro. Then one day I saw that gposil was working on dpup and thought that maybe that would work with my printer and that's how this grand experiment got started. At this point I have become determined to either make this printer work or go buy a new one, but either way I'm staying with puppy. I just love this little dawg.

DaveS

#20 Post by DaveS »

plankenstein wrote:@Daves,

I tried several (if not all) of the gutenprint divers for canon printers at one time in the past (even ones that didn't look close) with no luck. Did get it to work with Turbo Print, but just didn't like the "feel" of it. At that time I switched to ubuntu and have it working with that. But, I still keep coming back to puppy and always missed the speed and look of this little distro. Then one day I saw that gposil was working on dpup and thought that maybe that would work with my printer and that's how this grand experiment got started. At this point I have become determined to either make this printer work or go buy a new one, but either way I'm staying with puppy. I just love this little dawg.
Totally agree. In fact, I DID buy a new printer (HP Photosmart c4380 wifi) Because it worked well with Puppy. Dont forget the Gutenprint drivers get updated though. I installed a Pixma ip4600 on 4.3 and 4.2.1 today, and there was a native driver........... cool. When you look at the Gutenprint drivers, there seem to be quite a lot of printers covered by a single driver number, but if you tried, I guess you can do no more.....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!