slow image.gz load

Please post any bugs you have found
kethd

slow image.gz load

#1 Post by kethd »

I don't know if this is a true bug, but it does bug me!

I have a working bootable Puppy 107a, in a Compaq P1-233MMX.

Gujin loads vmlinuz in about 4 secs. Acceptable.
Gujin loads image.gz in 21 secs. Not acceptable. Not reasonable.

image.gz is 7MB and uncompresses to 12.5MB. My computer test-measures at 2,672KB/s from that CF-IDE card. More to the point, from a Puppy command line I can load that same file into ram in just a few seconds, and can unzip it in ram in just a few seconds, as one would expect.

Gujin runs just as slow, same 21 secs, whether booted from FreeDOS, or booting on the CF in MS-DOS 6.22. No config.sys drivers etc in sight.

Why does Gujin load image.gz so slowly? What load times do others get in various circumstances? Is there any way to speed it up?

kethd

#2 Post by kethd »

After the image.gz loading slowness, the rest of the Puppy boot goes at a decent pace -- everything keeps moving along, and it only takes 31 seconds more to get to the ready Puppy desktop.

kethd

#3 Post by kethd »

Having now booted into Puppy from Gujin hundreds of times over the last week, the slowness of loading image.gz has become a high priority to remedy.

The same computer loading from LiveCD (106 or 107a), ISOLINUX does image.gz in 3.5 seconds, compared to 21 secs with standard Gujin 0.9 and 18 secs with current 1.2. I haven't found any Forum where Gujin is actively discussed, and have not received a reply to my email to the author. I'd be happy to try to help work on improving Gujin, but it probably does not make sense to attempt that in isolation.

So the question is, what alternatives are there to Gujin, for loading from floppy or hard drive? I do kind of like starting the boot process in FreeDOS/MS-DOS, it offers a lot of control over Puppy modules.

pakt

#4 Post by pakt »

kethd wrote: So the question is, what alternatives are there to Gujin, for loading from floppy or hard drive? I do kind of like starting the boot process in FreeDOS/MS-DOS, it offers a lot of control over Puppy modules.
Have you compared Gujin with LINLD (I use it with FreeDOS in WakePup, see http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3875) for loading speed?
It would be interesting to see the difference.

kethd

GRUB for DOS

#5 Post by kethd »

There is interesting info here about GRUB for DOS:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=3367
I'll have to give that a try, even though apparently it only runs under MS-DOS, not under FreeDOS. Thanks BruceB!

(Too bad that Forum post is all messed up with long lines -- can't some admin fix that?)