Use of clone tool in mtPaint 3.3.1 (Puppy 4.3.0)

Booting, installing, newbie
drongo

Use of clone tool in mtPaint 3.3.1 (Puppy 4.3.0)

#1 Post by drongo »

I'm trying to copy a portion of an image and paste it over another part of the image.

I'm assuming the clone tool would be best for this but I can't understand the rather short instructions in the manual.

Do I select the area to be cloned first? (If I do this the selected region disappears when I select the clone icon.) The instructions tell me to select tool size after selecting clone tool. How do I do this? I can't find anything labelled tool size?

One time when I opened mtPaint there was some sort of floating selection box which may have been relevant but I can't find/open this menu any more.

I don't need anything fancy, a rectangular area will be fine.

For extra points I'd like to be able to match colours as the areas concerned are both tiles of the same colour but there is a subtle lighting change/colour cast between them.

Thanks

drongo

wjaguar

Re: Use of clone tool in mtPaint 3.3.1 (Puppy 4.3.0)

#2 Post by wjaguar »

drongo wrote:I'm trying to copy a portion of an image and paste it over another part of the image.
Then why not do exactly that? :-) Select the source area, "Edit->Copy", then "Edit->Paste", position the copied area, and right click or press Enter to commit.
I'm assuming the clone tool would be best for this but I can't understand the rather short instructions in the manual.
"Clone" is, quite possibly, the least usable tool in all of mtPaint. :-)
Myself, at least, I never found a task which could be easier done with this tool, than without it; it is too poor a substitute for GIMP's "Cloning stamp" tool, being limited to "Aligned" mode, square shape and hard edges.
The instructions tell me to select tool size after selecting clone tool. How do I do this? I can't find anything labelled tool size?
It is on the settings toolbar - "View->Show settings toolbar", or press F7.

The manual obviously needs a "General concepts" section, with this kind of information - but there is no good place to add one. :-( It should be between "2. Introduction" and "3. Pixel art", but then its section number will have to be 2½ :-)

drongo

Works fine, thanks

#3 Post by drongo »

Thanks wjaguar,

That works fine.

Who said chapters had to be integers? Release yourself from the tyranny of Diophantes.

Might make the index and contents look a bit odd though.

Thanks again,

drongo