Puppy Arcade v5 - new files (29 Dec 2009)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Makoto

#31 Post by Makoto »

Hmm... wonder where that line would be drawn, exactly, in terms of years. :)

That means the more recent systems are out - GameCube/Wii, Dreamcast, and maybe the PS2... their emulators tend to require fairly powerful systems. I don't think there's anything out for the X-Box/360 that actually plays games (but that'd probably still have high requirements, anyway).

But, the emulators themselves, for all the older game systems and computers, don't really take up too much space, do they? Unless the dependencies rack up...
I'd rather see most of the older systems covered, than someone deciding the games available for it are too lousy for it to be included. :P
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

sc0ttman

#32 Post by sc0ttman »

Makoto wrote:I'd rather see most of the older systems covered, than someone deciding the games available for it are too lousy for it to be included. :P
I realise there's a lot of systems out there that people love which I don't even remember - as you said, most of these older systems have small emulators so they will be included where possible..

However, there's a few older systems that I know nothing about but are undoubtably very popular - C64, Amiga, Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari - and these will be included, if possible..

If anyone has already compiled these emulators for puppy then I'd love to know!
Last edited by sc0ttman on Tue 29 Sep 2009, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

sc0ttman

#33 Post by sc0ttman »

I plan to release a new (and totally final) version within in the next month or so.. So for the next release, I want to make Puppy Arcade as easy as possible for the average user, and as small as possible too. I may remove SCSI drivers and a few others things (if possible), to save even more space. And so far, I have these emulators working, and will include these in the next version: Hugo (PCE), Frodo 4.1b (C64), NeoCD, Hatari 1.0.1 (Atari), UAE (Amiga).

I have decided to replace FakeNES with iNES as it works well, is much smaller, and much faster - in my tests at least.

Also I think I will use UAE (gkt1), not E-UAE (suggested by Dingo) - the big difference seems to be the filesize - both emulated well for me, but UAE is a little faster and smaller. But thanks anyway Dingo, as I wouldn't have found UAE without your help. NOTE: If UAE is much worse than E-UAE (for some reason) let me know - space allowing I will include E-UAE instead.

pLauncher cannot be added as it needs PERL, PERL Gtk and a few other libs!! Too big! If you know a good launcher let me know.

I also still need to find a small, efficient ROM manager - so that users can fix any ROMs that are not working by downloading the files missing in their romsets... anyone know a good one???

All emulators will have a frontend (of sorts) - thanks to dejan555 who created the iNes .pet file. Using his script a ROM can be passed to each emulator without the need for the terminal, or the need to drag-and-drop ROMs.. Below is an example for VBA - the GBA emulator used in Puppy Arcade:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
ROM=`Xdialog --title "Choose a ROM to run" --fselect / 0 0 2>&1`
if [ -e "$ROM" ]; then
  vba "$ROM"
else
  echo Canceled
fi
Adding the ability to remember the last-used directory would be fantastic, but I don't know how.. Anyway, that some info about what's coming in the next Puppy Arcade.. Please let me know of any bugs or fixes you've found so I include them as well..

If you can help me out with any of the above, please do so soon, or the final release of Puppy Arcade may not include what you want!! :(
Last edited by sc0ttman on Mon 28 Sep 2009, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

TomRhymer

#34 Post by TomRhymer »

Is there a .pet for the Hugo emulator? I can't really use this Puplet due to a problem with my hardware, but I'd like to try that emulator in another Puppy.

The problem with 4.2 on my netbook doesn't seem to be a driver issue, but a problem with the kernal. I have no problems with 4.3 or with the upup alpha, but the same issues with the dpup alphas.

Makoto

#35 Post by Makoto »

Heh. A couple of the rare systems that I had (actually still have, but I'm not trying to brag... more like (carbon) dating myself. :shock: ) include the Atari 5200 and the TI-99/4A computer. Not that I intend to ask for either of those. :P

To be honest, I probably wouldn't vote in favor of iNES - it's a bit dated, if I remember correctly, and probably doesn't support all of the NES games out there (=mapper support), as well as the Famicom Disk System games (*.fds).

I've been trying to get RockNES to work, but haven't had any success so far. Maybe someone else might be able to get it to work...

How did the VICE Commodore emulators look, to you? Just curious.

I haven't tried any of the Linux managers, unfortunately.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

sc0ttman

#36 Post by sc0ttman »

TomRhymer wrote:Is there a .pet for the Hugo emulator?
No. But there is this :D

I extracted it, right-clicked on it, ran it in the terminal and went from there..

sc0ttman

#37 Post by sc0ttman »

Makoto wrote:I probably wouldn't vote in favor of iNES - it's a bit dated, if I remember correctly, and probably doesn't support all of the NES games out there (=mapper support), as well as the Famicom Disk System games (*.fds).
Apparently, iNES does supprt .fds games, and now has decent mapper support, in the later versions, according to Zophar and the iNES readme.. Not arguing, just saying that's what I found when I looked. Everything I threw at iNES so far has worked well for me. I'm gonna try out the very latest version soon..
Makoto wrote:How did the VICE Commodore emulators look, to you? Just curious.
They look fine online, but I couldn't get them to work for puppy as yet. Looks like Frodo will be the one I use...

Also, here's VBA:

tikbalang

#38 Post by tikbalang »

may i request that the final puppy arcade be a .pet or a .sfs? this will keep it from being outdated when new releases of puppy come out.

sc0ttman

#39 Post by sc0ttman »

tikbalang wrote:may i request that the final puppy arcade be a .pet or a .sfs? this will keep it from being outdated when new releases of puppy come out.
This is a great idea, and one that I would love to do. I will have to look into it, not promising I can do it well (a previous attempt wasn't so good!!), but I will definitely try to release a .pet and .sfs file of the emulator package that is used. I will still release a full LiveCD for those who can't or don't want to add sfs files to their install.

Also.. a quick update on what I've said before, I will actually include Amstrad CPC as I've found a working 'arnold' which is only 650K uncompressed - all other emulators were around 1.8MB and didn't seem as user-friendly...

Also iNes 3.6 works fine for me, I will use this one in the new Puppy Arcade - FakeNES can be installed easily with a dotpup package, anyway.

ColEmu 2.5 works well with Colecovision roms... That will be included too.

Makoto

#40 Post by Makoto »

Hmm... Marat must have made a number of updates I hadn't heard about, or the emu-news sites I check didn't post. FDS support is definitely good. I'll have to check it out, then, especially since I haven't been able to get RockNES to work. (I know FakeNES and one other NES emulator I tried do work; I'm just testing the various emulators.)

Can't remember if Frodo supported the Commodore 128, but that's not an issue. Are you including the Sega Master System/Game Gear? (tries to remember if Marat's 'MasterGear' emu did both...)

Thanks again, for the VBA package. And for HuGo as well... I ought to test it and see if it recognizes my SuperCDs. :)

hypnobluez

ROMS - list of websites

#41 Post by hypnobluez »

hey guys, could you please post a list of websites with the top ROMs.

special THANKS!!! to sc0ttman for creating this unique puplet.

Makoto

#42 Post by Makoto »

Interestingly enough, a new version of Kega Fusion (a multiple was just released, this evening.
Fusion is a Sega SG1000, SC3000, Master System, Game Gear, Genesis/Megadrive, SVP, Pico, SegaCD/MegaCD and 32X emulator for Win9x/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Win7, Mac OSX/Intel, and Linux
It's a decent emulator, but would it possibly work for Arcade? The download's only 700KB or so (not counting the plugins).

sc0ttman

Re: ROMS - list of websites

#43 Post by sc0ttman »

hypnobluez wrote:hey guys, could you please post a list of websites with the top ROMs. Special THANKS!!! to sc0ttman for creating this unique puplet.
There is a list of good ROM sites on the first page.. For MAME, I recommend RomKeeper.. Rom-World has Roms listed by popularity, so you can find all the good games quickly.. Nice, nice.. :D
Makoto wrote:Are you including the Sega Master System/Game Gear? (tries to remember if Marat's 'MasterGear' emu did both...)... Interestingly enough, a new version of Kega Fusion (a multiple was just released, this evening.
Thanks for the Kega link.. MasterGear does do both, and is already included in Puppy Arcade, called 'sega' on the desktop, and it will be in the next version - unless Kega works well, then it's Kega instead.. :)
Last edited by sc0ttman on Tue 29 Sep 2009, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

sc0ttman

#44 Post by sc0ttman »

Anyone get .exe files working in Puppy WITHOUT WINE?? This is Kega Fusion, already compiled for linux, but it's still in .exe format!! I've attached the emulator, so if anyone can get this working, then please let me know how.. I've been unable to do anything with it... I just get a segmentation fault, saying:

Code: Select all

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0"
Thanks.

Makoto

#45 Post by Makoto »

I noticed that the binary in the archive had an .exe extension after I posted. :shock: Not sure why it does, yet, unless it was accidentally named with the .exe extension.

A couple of things I've noted:
1) It's not an actual Windows executable. It doesn't have the Windows executable header... in fact, it has what appears to be a UPX-compressed ELF header. It's also ~700KB as opposed to the ~2MB of the Windows version's EXE.

2) I tried renaming the file without the extension and seeing if it would run (and also with the .elf extension), but I didn't have any luck (and running either in the terminal only generated 'command not found' bash errors, for some reason...)

From the history.txt file:
This is the first (and maybe only?) Linux release - it includes everything

in the Mac build and is therefore pretty much feature complete already. I'm

only really doing this because certain people have asked for it... I don't

claim to be a "Linux guy" ;-)

OpenGL is required - hardware acceleration very much recommended, the

software solutions seem to be ridiculously slow. ALSA or OSS can be used

for sound. It uses a modified wxGTK for the GUI, and so should work fine on

most modern Linux distros. It was built under Fedora Core 6 (for Tomman).

Fusion.ini file can be found at ~/.Kega Fusion - and that's also where you

should place the Plugins folder.

ISO/MP3 support is via the seperate libmpg123. More info on how to get

this, and other things working can be found in the readme.

Anyway, I hope this is appreciated :-)

Snake.
Maybe someone should ask Steve about it, if we can't figure it out, by email or on the Kega forum. :(

sc0ttman

#46 Post by sc0ttman »

Makoto wrote:I tried renaming the [kega] file without the extension and seeing if it would run...
Yeah I tried that too, had no effect at all for me.. Also, I noticed in the readme you supplied, and then on the website, that OpenGL is required to play games with any decent speeds... This doesn't really fit the Puppy Linux ethos, so the emulators I choose need to run well on low end PCs..

Gens and MasterGear work well without OpenGL, using SDL.. This is much better for lower end machines. Any emulators that work well with SDL, even seem to work well on Xvesa.. Gens emulates SegaCD/MegaCD and 32X systems, with good compatibility, so we're not actually missing much if Kega is not included.

Makoto

#47 Post by Makoto »

Ah, okay. I'll give up on trying to run it for the time being, then. :)

hypnobluez

TREASURE

#48 Post by hypnobluez »

Thanks a MILLION for creating and sharing this treasure with us sc0ttman.
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Thanks for contributing Makoto.
YOU ROCK!!!

sc0ttman

Compiled Emulators and ROM Browsers

#49 Post by sc0ttman »

[UPDATE] ROM Launchers and Managers! :)

These are front-ends for multiple emulators, allowing you to centralize all of your emulator/ROM launching needs. They are open ended enough to allow the launching of most emulators (xmame, snes9x, xmess, vgb, uae, gens, etc, etc) from one place.

The PETs below can be added to any version of Puppy that has the dependency listed.

Requirements:

pLauncher (PERL), emuexec (PERL), glaunch (various), gromlist (Python,PyGTK), tuxarcade (PERL), lowemu (Python), rombrowser (Java)..

I have uncluded these rom loaders as .pet packages for anyone who has these dependencies installed :)

However, I have found a few ROM launchers that I would like to compile or convert. Gelide is a ROM loader - a frontend for multiple emulators, which may work in Puppy. Also Game Launcher could work well in Puppy, but needs to be compiled.

Here are also a couple of ROM good managers - advancescan and mamory.. They do not have a frontend at all, so you have to view the readmes, or run in terminal for usage details.

I added the latest version of iNES.. And I've also added fbzx2.1 - this is an ZX80 emulator.. Not tested! Requires glibc 2.7!!

Hope some of this is useful.. :)
Attachments
iNES-3.6.pet
iNES 3.6 - NES/Famicom emulator
(189.85 KiB) Downloaded 2437 times
fbzx-2.1b-2.fc10.i386.pet
spectrum/ZX80 emulator - requires glibc, found in above
(91.17 KiB) Downloaded 892 times
mamory-0.2.25-3.fc10.i386.pet
rom manager, no gui
(90.26 KiB) Downloaded 777 times
loemu_0.3.1_i386.pet
rom browser
(59.25 KiB) Downloaded 785 times
gromlist-0.3.2.pet
rom browser
(58.37 KiB) Downloaded 772 times
emuexec-1.2-2.i386.pet
rom browser
(176.85 KiB) Downloaded 968 times
Last edited by sc0ttman on Thu 22 Oct 2009, 07:32, edited 3 times in total.

sc0ttman

NEW VERSION AVAILABLE

#50 Post by sc0ttman »

NEW VERSION: Puppy Arcade V2

The new versions have many more features, are VERY easy to use and only slightly larger!!

'Puppy Arcade V2' comes in 3 flavours:

All versions feature many emulators and are identical, except that the 'goffice' version contains the 'goffice' suite (abiword, gnumeric, inkscape), while the 'openoffice' version features 'OpenOffice2.2' (base, calc, writer, impress & draw).

(Both office versions feature working CUPS, but printer drivers not included.. get gutenprint etc)

Download 'Puppy Arcade V2':
http://www.sendspace.com/file/p5vcvg (104MB, MD5: bbf63866bfae2f7b9ebf51df10dba831)

Download 'Puppy Arcade V2 + goffice':
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2mrucp (120MB, md5: da926e991801c847e9f25b940ad5f936)

Download 'Puppy Arcade V2 + openoffice':
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2s7kys (203MB, md5: cbd329834237c8362206fcb6a1721213)

'Puppy Arcade V2' (all versions above) include emulators for the following systems, all with frontends:

Amiga, Atari, Amstrad, Arcade Machines, Colecovision, Commodore 64, GameBoys (GB, GBC, GBA), GameGear, Genesis, Intellivision, MasterSystem, MS DOS, NeoGeo, NeoGeo CD, NES/Famicom, PC Engine/TurboGrafix 16, PSX, Scumm, SNES.

V2 also includes:

- PupSaveConfig - easily create save files before logoff
- GtkHash - check/verify file integrity for downloads
- PStreamVid - watch online TV through Gxine
- Wish Rush- tiny dual pane file manager
- Office and productivity suite via online services (zoho, editgrid, etc)
- AdvanceScan - ROM Manager, type 'advscan' in the terminal for details
- Right-click conversion/extraction of .deb, .rpm, tgz and pet files!! :)
- Improved shutdown menu and options
- LOADS of great bookmarks and bookmarklets (inc fireBug!!) , nicely organised in FirePup :D

This puplet does not include any BIOS files for Amiga, PSX, etc, or any roms.

To play Amiga roms: Download the kickstart files (kick13, kick20, kick31), and put them in /usr/lib/uae.. Then create a symlink called 'kick.rom' that points to the required kickstart file. Use the 'CPU Type: 68020' and the 'Full ECS' chipset.. Works fine for me!!

Thanks to Makoto, Ale, Dingo, dejan555, ttuuxxx, zigbert, Feel, tikbalang, MU and others for all your files, suggestions, examples and help.
Last edited by sc0ttman on Mon 05 Oct 2009, 11:15, edited 2 times in total.