Puppy Arcade v5 - new files (29 Dec 2009)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sc0ttman

Puppy Arcade v5 - new files (29 Dec 2009)

#1 Post by sc0ttman »

Puppy Arcade 5

WARNING: This version (v5) is outdated!! Puppy Arcade 9 is now available here.

Systems emulated in Puppy Arcade 5:

Amiga, Atari, Amstrad, Arcade Machines, Colecovision, Commodore 64, GameBoys (GB, GBC, GBA), GameGear, Genesis, MasterSystem, MS DOS, NeoGeo, NeoGeo CD, NES/Famicom, PC Engine/TurboGrafix 16, PSX, Scumm, SNES and ZX Spectrum.

Newest version: Puppy Arcade v5 Live CD - 11th Nov, 2009

Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Mirror 3 (109mb, md5: 3f114a4ffce5d5299c86b0b8ad09e636)

(Mirror 3 requires: user = puppy, password = PuppyArcadev5)

v5 is a no-bling version, but it's user-friendly, while still being even faster ever! :)

Want bling like desktop icons and wallpaper? Easy! You've got 2 options:

1. Use the Start Menu:

Go to 'Menu->Desktop->Wallpaper', and set some wallpaper.
Go to 'Menu->Desktop->Emulator Desktop Bar', to show wbar, with all emulators.

2. Edit /root/.xinitrc (easy!) To do this, you must install this tiny bugfix for desktop bling

Just replace the contents of .xinitrc with the contents of .xinitrc-bling (or .xinitrc-nobling to remove bling again).
Then restart X to see the changes.

Only want the emulators?

Install Puppy Arcade to nearly any version of Puppy, using one of the files below.

Attention Puppy 4.3.x users!! All files below now work perfectly :)

(New) Puppy Arcade v5 PET, for any Puppy:
Mirror 1 (27mb, md5: 2f05315076211fee9e0b852471fa4051)

Puppy Arcade v5 SFS for 4.2:
Mirror 1 (27mb, md5: 46a11797267cbac4d30f3a5334e961fd)

(New) Puppy Arcade v5 SFS for 4.3:
Mirror 1 (27mb, md5: 614f9d0593bfb5003827970814668428)

Visit the Puppy Arcade Download Page to see all files.

Download ROM Loaders / Multi Emulator Frontends

If you've installed the .pet or .sfs versions and have PERL or Python installed, or are using the Puppy Arcade v4/v5 ISOs, there's a number of ROM loaders and frontends available at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 080#346080

Changes in v5: What's in? What's out?

Packages Added:

- Emulators for systems listed above
- Desktop icons of all emulators (uses wbar), enabled from start menu
- VBA-M replaces VBA and gets a better frontend
- Spectemu added for ZX Spectrum emulation
- Firedog (updated and customised a bit)
- WISH Rush - the dual pane file manager - is back
- lots of CLI and GTK-Dialog apps (even more than before...)
- New JWM and ROX settings, for better usability (and gaming!)

Packages Removed:

- Abiword, Gnumeric, Inkscape, etc
- Seamonkey Suite,
- Homebank and some calculators
- PSIP
- Sane + Xsane,
- Extraneous/outdated apps (netsetup_retro, pbackup, etc)
- Some other stuff

Most emulators run without OpenGL, except Mupen64Plus and pSX, which DO require OpenGL.
NOTE: ePSXe doesn't need OpenGL in 'software' mode, and can be installed and used instead of pSX.

I cannot include roms with this release, but here are some great links where you can get them:
Rom-World.com, Romhustler.net, Emuparadise.org, Snes-O-Rama.us, CPS2 XOR Files, ROM Keeper, LemonAmiga

Enabling OpenGL (for 3D acceleration):

To enable OpenGL, you simply need to find the correct drivers for your card in the puppy repositories, then download and install the relevant .PET file. Then (optionally) follow the softwares' instructions and restart X.

PETS FOR NVIDIA CARDS:
nvidia-7186.pet for ancient nvidia graphics cards (riva TNT to Geforce 1).
nvidia-9643.pet for most nvidia cards (officially Gf2 to Gf4 but tested on Gf7 OK).
nvidia-100.14.19.pet for latest cards (Gf5 to Gf8).

All Nvidia drivers are available http://download.tuxfamily.org/nop/
More Nvidia info http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22272

Alternatively, you could download NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.22-pkg1_412.sfs to add a large collection of proprietry Nvidia drivers.

PETS FOR ATI CARDS:
Catalyst 9.9: For newer cards, go to http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46507
Catalyst 9.3: For older cards, go to http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45601
You can find out which one you need at the pages above.

PETS FOR INTEL CARDS:
A few drivers and details about compatibility can be found at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44388
Finally, for one more .PET, you can check out http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 587#291587

PETS for OLDER / VARIOUS CARDS:
Here are a load of .PET files for SiS, framebuffer, 3dfx, Voodoo, Intel, Matrox, VIA and others - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48019

If you STILL can't find what you are looking for, then try a search at http://pupplinux.ca

Playing Roms:

For pSX, you'll need to download the psx bios file 'scph1001.bin' to '/usr/local/pSX/bios' (case-sensitive).

Playing Amiga roms: Download the kickstart files (kick13, kick20, kick31), and put them in /usr/lib/uae.. Then create a symlink called 'kick.rom' that points to one of the kickstart files.

Playing Atari ST roms: You need to get the TOS file, and add it to the location that Hatari tells you. You can find these files here: http://steem.atari.st/download.htm

Installation:

Please note that (for me, at least) the fastest, easiest and most reliable way to install this to a hard drive or USB stick is simply to copy the Live CD files to a bootable device or partition. This will create a frugal install.

Older Version: Puppy Arcade v4 Live CD - 7th Nov, 2009

Also based on TurboPup, it works great but is missing VBA-M, Spectemu and a few other things.
Bling not disabled in this one by default!

Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Mirror 3 (108mb, md5: b4aa2879dc5e5ff2ad2b5abbc7dfc9d5)

Please leave your feedback, improvements and suggestions on this thread.

Hope this documentation helps you out.

For more, see the Puppy Arcade

You can't own any bios or rom files of any consoles or games that you've never bought.
You've been warned, now have fun!

Anyway.. Hope you enjoy :)

Thanks to Makoto, Ale, Dingo, dejan555, ttuuxxx, zigbert, Feel, tikbalang, MU and others for all your files, suggestions, examples and help.
Attachments
pa.jpg
Screenshot of Puppy Arcade v4
(49.53 KiB) Downloaded 7765 times
Last edited by sc0ttman on Tue 07 Sep 2010, 05:55, edited 115 times in total.

tikbalang

#2 Post by tikbalang »

can you please post the iso's md5 checksum? can you please add advmenu/advmame?

thank you!

puppyiso

#3 Post by puppyiso »

I have seen the advanced CD site b4.

The problem is, the download link is either broken or unavailable.

Please check again.

John

cthisbear

#4 Post by cthisbear »

Deleted.

Chris.
Last edited by cthisbear on Thu 17 Sep 2009, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

sc0ttman

Please Use the New Version(s)

#5 Post by sc0ttman »

tikbalang wrote:can you please post the iso's md5 checksum? can you please add advmenu/advmame? thank you!
If you've downloaded the ISO, you can use 'gtkhash' from ttuxxxx to get the checksum.

Anyway, I've added the first release, now called 'Puppy Arcade (Beta)', and included the checksum :)
I will also include all checksums from now on. But I've still no idea what they are for! :shock:

And I was unable to compile any other versions of MAME for puppy, and I tried a few times...
I'm a total newbie myself.. So, sorry I can't help you there.

To All Users:

Please Use the newest version(s) - always listed in the first post!

Feel

#6 Post by Feel »

Great job, Sc0ttman!
This was what the world of retrogaming was waiting for!
Congratulations, I'm sure that if you talk about your puplet on M.A.M.E. addicts' fora you will have lots of download and feedback.
Also, I hope that this can further expand Puppy's user base.
Well done!

dudadas

#7 Post by dudadas »

Excellent work. Seriously, I was looking something like that. I am not an experienced Puppy user and i have a suggestion. While playing with xmame, bottom puppy menu always ontop. Couldnt be arranged as hidden?

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

Because I'm still new to Puppy... if I'm already using a frugal install of Puppy, will using a Puppy derivative (or a different version of Puppy) risk messing up my existing pup-save*.2fs file, by default?
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

sc0ttman

#9 Post by sc0ttman »

dudadas wrote:While playing with xmame, bottom puppy menu always ontop. Couldnt be arranged as hidden?
I've been unable to put MAME on top of JWM in fullscreen... However, you can edit JWM settings to better support fullscreen gaming using the following files:

/root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal (best use this one - it overwrites any settings also found in the files below)
/root/.jwmrc
/root/.jwmrc-tray
/root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme

By editing the files above, you can make the taskbar auto-hide (as I did). You can also force the taskbar to appear under all applications, as it is always on top by default.

You could even switch to IceWM. With IceWM, you can always hit Alt+F11 to enable fullscreen and hide all taskbars, menus etc...

I've removed ALL IceWM themes to save a little space, so to make IceWM look nice, you can get a wide variety of themes found on this forum.. I like to use some of the windows and mac look-a-like themes.
Makoto wrote:Will using a different version of Puppy risk messing up my existing pup-save*.2fs file?
Yes I believe using a save file on different puplets (or even different versions or puppy) will NOT work correctly, but DO check the forums elsewhere for the REAL info, as I'm really no expert..

Also, thanks a lot to everyone for the feedback, it is VERY much appreciated and stops me bugging my bro to test it all the time!!

I'll definitely post a link to this thread on a couple of emulation forums, and if you happen to be on one yourself, it would be lovely if you could do the same :)

This may encourage some ACTUAL experts to get involved and improve this puplet further..

THANKS
Last edited by sc0ttman on Tue 22 Sep 2009, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.

mcalex

#10 Post by mcalex »

sc0ttman wrote:f you've downloaded the ISO, you can use 'gtkhash' from ttuxxxx to get the checksum.

Anyway, I've added the first release, now called 'Puppy Arcade (Beta)', and included the checksum :)
I will also include all checksums from now on. But I've still no idea what they are for! :shock:
when you run the gtkhash program on the iso it does a calculation and spits out a big number. You upload the iso and the number. We download the iso and run the gtkhash program to see if we get the same number. If so, it's the same file. It's a way of checking the file is the same that's harder to manipulate than the filesize or date created properties.
Makoto wrote:risk messing up my existing pup-save*.2fs file, by default?
just copy it to a different name:

Code: Select all

cp pup-save.2fs pup-save.2fs.orig
(or use drag n drop)
and rename it back when you've finished arcading

sc0ttman

#11 Post by sc0ttman »

mcalex wrote:Run gtkhash on the iso, it does a calculation and spits out a big number. You upload the iso and the number, we download the iso and run gtkhash to see if we get the same number. If so, it's the same file.
Lovely, thanks for that, I suspected as much but didn't want to post it as I wasn't at all sure. :?

sc0ttman

Any Feedback?

#12 Post by sc0ttman »

There's not been much feedback left on this thread - either noone is interested or you're having no problems.. I'll assume the former for now, until I hear otherwise. Please let me know how this puplet works for you and how you would like to see it improve, if you're using it and have any suggestions. Thanks.

TomRhymer

#13 Post by TomRhymer »

Well I tried it out, but anything based on 4.2 hates my netbook. No sound, no wifi. Seems to be a problem with the older kernal. I've been meaning to try this on my other system, but I haven't had the time yet.

I do like the idea of this Puppy and appreciate the work you've put into it. Any chance of a new version based on 4.3?

sc0ttman

#14 Post by sc0ttman »

TomRhymer wrote:I appreciate the work you've put into it. I tried it out, but anything based on 4.2 hates my netbook. Any chance of a new version based on 4.3?
Firstly, thanks. Secondly, [update] - yes - install the SFS version for 4.3, listed in the first post.

:D
Last edited by sc0ttman on Sat 17 Oct 2009, 19:26, edited 2 times in total.

Dingo

#15 Post by Dingo »

Tried Puppy Arcade and played to several games with much fun

I think (if you also agree) that adding an Amiga Emulator (E-UAE)
http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... :emulators
could be a good thing
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

sc0ttman

Amiga - Definitely worth inclusion

#16 Post by sc0ttman »

Dingo wrote:Tried Puppy Arcade and played to several games with much fun

I think adding an Amiga Emulator (E-UAE)
http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... :emulators
could be a good thing
I agree.. When I update the ISOs (after a few more improvements have been made) I will definitely include this one in the new ISOs. It's a bit idiotic that I missed it, actually.. Also ScummVM could be added... Although as far as I know, DosBox will handle most games that ScummVM can play.. But please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.. I may replace DosBOX with ScummVM in future, but am unsure...

Makoto

#17 Post by Makoto »

Use both, if you can. They're not the same thing.

DOSbox provides a working DOS environment for certain older games and programs to run. ScummVM is an interpreter, and is only capable of running the data files of certain games (there should be an up-to-date list on the ScummVM Sourceforge site), using the SCUMM engine (mostly LucasArts games), plus some others (like the SpaceQuest/Kings Quest/etc. games).

ScummVM won't support running DOS games, and DOSbox will only run the games ScummVM will if they ran under DOS to begin with, and still have the executable engine to run under DOS - ScummVM doesn't need that, and just runs on the data files from the games it supports. :)

Edit: Why not include a PC Engine/TG-16 emu? :D (Though I don't know if the Linux PCE/TG emulators currently have support for CD games...)

You might want to replace VBA with VBA-M - VBA-M is being actively worked on, unlike VBA (as Forgotten's not working on it, anymore). I'm not sure of the project's webpage offhand, but you can read discussions about it at http://forums.ngemu.com/vba-m-discussion/ . If I can find the proper webpage, I'll update this post. Edit #3: It's possibly http://vba-m.com/ .

Edit #2: Forgot - here's a place that might have links/downloads to some emulators of interest: http://www.zophar.net/linux.html Their VBA-M page leads back to the above URL, though.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

sc0ttman

#18 Post by sc0ttman »

Makoto wrote:Use both, if you can. They're not the same thing. Why not include a PC Engine/TG-16 emu? And you might want to replace VBA with VBA-M
Thanks for the reply.. I'll include both ScummVM and DOSBox in the next versions.. I just thought that DosBox could be used for Scumm games... And I've just tested Hu-Go! (312KB, working fine) for PCE/TG-16 - no frontend, drag and drop roms onto the icon.. It apparently supports CD games...

As usual, I've had no luck at all compiling stuff from source or using .deb packages etc, and that includes VBA-M and quite a few other emulators from zophars domain, all of which I tried a while back.. I personally don't find VBA lacking in any way (except having no GUI), don't know if anyone disagrees...

I have to confess, I'm not old enough to have played some of these systems (pre 1990ish), so haven't looked into their emulators or roms much (there's classic and just plain old!! :))..

But I checked out E-UAE as suggested by Dingo.. It works great, but does anyone know a smaller Amiga emulator? E-UAE is quiet large - I'm being fussy though, I know... But I'm trying to keep the smallest version of Puppy Arcade (without office) around 100MB or so, if possible.. So if anyoen can recommend some 'fat' to remove, such as drivers that nearly nobody needs, then I'd love to know..

I may also add NeoCD, which needs a NeoGeo CD inserted and mounted, then it'll work fine once loaded (it's 1524KB inc bios), but only if its games are good (I don't know) and if XMAME doesn't already do NeoGeo CDs :shock: (I think it doesn't!)

And possibly a GameCube emulator would be nice, if anyone knows which is the best... TuxCube? Dolphin? I've no idea..

Makoto

#19 Post by Makoto »

Well, DOSBox can be used to play games ScummVM supports (and were loadable in pure DOS), but only if you have the complete game (DOS executable and the data files). :)

I think there were a few binaries of VBA-M appaearing now and then - but I'm not sure about that, because I think they're still in pre-official release status. It might not hurt to either email the devs or post on the ngemu forum (the one I linked to, above).
I'm not entirely sure, but VBA-M may also have higher requirements than VBA.

Personally, I don't really know of many Amiga emus outside UAE. You might also look into MESS to possibly support a number of systems, including the Amiga, but I'm not sure how well it does support the Amiga, or even how well it runs under Linux. (Like the MAME team, the MESS team (their code is primarily based on the MAME architecture) prefers working on accuracy over all else, so MESS may not always run as well on the older systems. I haven't tried it in years. :oops: )

I can't account for the NeoCDs - never saw them in a store, actually (though I did see the regular Neo-Geo carts... it's a shame, because I did want to try the Samurai Spirits RPG and... what was the name of that one SS game, again? Samurai Spirits 64? :D ) I don't recall MAME ever announcing support for NGCDs, either.

I don't know about TuxCube, but Dolphin's supposed to be fairly decent. Some problems:
-- New builds are being posted all the time, and things can easily break in one release and be fixed in the next.
-- Not many drives support direct reading of GameCube/Wii discs, so only image support is more or less possible (anyone using it had better have a large HD ready, in other words)
-- Wii support is even more of a work in progress than the GameCube support. (How well does Puppy support Bluetooth? I think Dolphin only supports the Wiimote through BT.)
-- ...and of course, Cube emulation (much less the Wii emulation) will require a very powerful system.

sc0ttman

#20 Post by sc0ttman »

Makoto wrote:Personally, I don't really know of many Amiga emus outside UAE.
I don't even know anything about Amigas other than the name! Does it even have any good games?? I couldn't find one (IMHO).
Makoto wrote:You might also look into MESS to possibly support a number of systems.
I checked out MESS and decided I could find a collection of smaller emulators, with lower diskpace and system requirements. I only want to emulate the systems with great games, and leave out the others - real enthusiasts can add them if they like.
Makoto wrote:I can't account for the NeoCDs - never saw them in a store... I don't recall MAME ever announcing support for NGCDs, either.
So I'll add support for NGCDs if the games are worth playing, as I also know nothing about NGCD - maybe I'm too young but I don't think NGCDs ever took off in the UK..
Makoto wrote:Dolphin's has some problems and of course Cube emulation (much less the Wii emulation) will require a very powerful system.
Would be nice to get a dolphin that doesn't include Wii emulation - the list of dependencies is so big, I couldn't even find all of them! But the high system requirements would make it unsuitable/undesirable for most Puppy users I guess. So I guess NGC emulation is asking too much.