Flash crash fixes

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
thelaptopkiller

Flash crash fixes

#1 Post by thelaptopkiller »

Could anyone who found flash crash fixes post them here?
[img]http://www.robotech.com/images/content/MEC_17_1_6899.gif[/img]
[b]Really,you wanna mess with me?[/b]

Sit Heel Speak

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49572
This stops flash crash in upup-432, upup-450, and Puppy 4.2-rt-smp. At 11 MB it is probably much more than is actually needed to fix the problem; perhaps all that's wrong is that just one of the libraries in the supplied .sfs file is missing from Puppy. Then again, perhaps not. It is a version 4 .sfs and so will not load on Puppies before...I think 4.2, but could be off a little, don't recall when we switched from version 3 .sfs's to version 4. I will make a version 3 .sfs of it, as soon as I get time.

Sit Heel Speak

Wanted: especially tough flash website+puppy+browser combos

#3 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Would someone please inform me, what is a particularly troublesome website + browser + Puppy-version combination, in the Puppy 4.x series, one which uses the old version 3 .sfs files. So that I may give the version-3-.sfs variant of my newlibcurl .sfs the toughest test possible. Thanks.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

The main outstanding crash I get is browsing back and forth on you tube.

On the subject I have found an almost identical but unstable setup does indeed have libcurl.so.4.0.1 so I will be testing out the newer version.

Stability improvement for puppy 2.10 to 2.17 and flash
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45258

For earlier puppy 4...
Gtk2 2.12 fixed...cannot find the non debug (yet)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 66&t=32874
I also updated gobject to 2.18 which helped but was done before the above.

I find flash 9 has a habit of hanging rather than crashing and on some setups certain functions do not work consistantly eg videos on google maps.
I also got better results with flash 10.0.15 than newer versions.

My findings have pointed to library updates / fixes rather than using a specific browser. Interesting point was with puppy 2 the instabilities introduced with flash 9 affected the gui rather than flash laden pages and only after a page with flash had been opened...this may be related to library version collisions like the libcurl one.

On a general note using flashblock is a good move.

I will post any other links/material as my braincell permits

mike

Sit Heel Speak

#5 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Rats...

I tried my newlibcurl.sfs version -r5, no changes except just re-cast into a version 3 squashfile...on Puppy 4.12-k2.6.25.16.

It does cure flash crash...heh, I was watching seven videos at once, from as wide an assortment of sources as I could think of...

I am now in no doubt whatsoever, that fixing the curl/libcurl subsystem is the key.

However, the newlibcurl.sfs as currently composed (compiled) also messes up PWidgets, and gftp won't start. Probably because it was compiled on upup-450, which carries a newer libc (/lib/libc.so.6 is version 2.10.1) than all other Puppies (which carry version 2.6.1).

So, to fix other Puppies I will have to recompile the whole sequence from scratch. About a two-day job. Therefore, versions for Puppies other than Karmic Woof upup will appear sometime after Christmas, and probably after the New Year. Unless someone can isolate it down to just one or two specific libraries in the curl/libcurl subsystem that are somehow deficient.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

libssl.so.0.9.8 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8 (0xb7ea4000)
libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 (0xb7d83000)

hmm...the former and the version that comes with the browser.
The latter seemed pretty ancient when I looked at it...
a process of elimination I trow....

I think the butlar did it, in the consevatory with chewing gum...

mike

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

Sit Heel Speak

I have only tried up to version 3 of your sfs
and had to create a new install (takes 10 minutes to set up and was overdue anyway) The 3 SFS - or possibly a whole manner of bizarre things I try, caught up with me.

In version 3 of the SFS Seamonkey was crashing as soon as I tried to load some flash files but not others.

I am sure you are on to something and I hope people will test (I don't have a test rig - I test on my main machine) so will not install v4

In Germany FireFox is now more used than IE and it is partially unstable because of the closed source proprietary component 'Adobe Flash'
(are they taking their vitamins? tsk tsk)

Sit Heel Speak - Just to let you know your efforts are appreciated
Hope others will test :)

We are Puppy
Open Source and Frisky
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gposil

#8 Post by gposil »

SHS, it may be worthwhile checking why Dpup has no flash crashes reported at all, as compared to 4.3.x...It just has to be a library problem...
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

Sit Heel Speak

#9 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Lobster wrote:...I have only tried up to version 3 of your sfs...
3 was still buggy, 4 and 5 are the functioning ones. But, as I say, unless you are using a upup (or other Puppy with /lib/libc.so.6 version 2.10.1), better wait til I can compile a version on 'conventional" Puppy. Til about the 15th I expect to be totally immersed with something I'm crafting together in the way of a custom upup. Then, busy with Christmas gatherings. After Christmas I will get back to it.
gposil wrote:SHS, it may be worthwhile checking why Dpup has no flash crashes reported at all, as compared to 4.3.x...It just has to be a library problem...
Yup. It could be that all that the non-dpup Puppies really need to stop flash crash, is a recompile of curl and libcurl. Since dpup uses Debian Lenny sources, everything can be expected to be stable.

upup, however, is somewhat more...venturesome. I am working-up a custom Pup for the Dell Mini-9. Having built it several ways, I've settled on ttuuxxx's upup-450 as the final-build basis--but, tremendously overhauled. As soon as I finish putting full Tex on it, I will take a close look at dpup.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Ok 2 day intensive test an unuseable firefox with flash 10 is now happy changing to libcurl.so.4.1.1 from debian sid.
Bear in mind other fixes were applied (and needed).

Just mention that pupp 2.02 has always been stable with flash 9/10...I suspect the difference in Xserver.

mike

jeditalian

#11 Post by jeditalian »

i tried karmic puppy upup 432 and sitheelspeak, you should try your "pstreamvid play streaming video" with the gxine, on any of the default loaded channels. it works perfectly in puppy-431, but see what happens when you try it in upup.
one "fix" that helped me alot was to create a large save file, but it was not a full fledged cure, just a stabilizer. I am going to try your fix, would it be effective to remaster the puppy cd with it?

with the flash crashing fixed, and support for mangler and some flash games, puppy would be the best thing for all computers made in the last 10 years. I've tried about 20 live distros in the past few days, but puppy is still the best. DSL is not a close second. it should just be eradicated completely, because Slitaz is much more useful. so it is puppy linux, then slitaz, and the rest that ive tried are either too resource hungry or just useless/problematic. slitaz needs some work just like puppy does. bon ech0 kept crashing and i didnt even have flash player yet.
EDIT: nevermind, after reading the posts, i think i am going to try DPUP