Mounting and Linking SFS files for use

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
sunburnt

#31 Post by sunburnt »

I also suggested a ram disk layer be added to the union to hold the SFSs config. files and links.
The basic setup:

Code: Select all

Layer #1: Save file
Layer #2: Ram disk
Layer #3: Added SFSs
Layer #4: Boot SFS
The ram disk layer doesn`t interfere with the Save file, but is on top of the other union layers.
It`s another level of complexity that arguably isn`t needed, but it keeps the Save file clean...
Copying config. files and making links is then done through the ram disk`s mount point, not /.

I don`t like having a union at all, so this isn`t my preferred way of doing no-union SFS files.

jrb

#32 Post by jrb »

Hi Guys,
Sorry to be so inattentive. I had no idea anything was happening on this thread. I depend on the forum to notify me and, it hasn't.

Let me just point out that I have posted a new SFS_Linker-431bk-1.0.pet in the additional software thread based on the work I started here. Its designed specifically to be an addon to Puppy431.

I've been using it for over a week and it is performing flawlessly, although a few SFS's have required tweaking to get them working.

I'm just heading out for the evening but tommorrow I'll try to come up to speed on the conversation going on here.

Thanks sunburnt for letting me know, J

jrb

#33 Post by jrb »

Here's a summary of what SFS_Linker-431bk-1.0.pet does:

SFS_Linker has 4 basic parts:
1.)sfs_boot_handler
2.)sfs_linker
3.)sfs_unlinker
4.)sfs_remove.sh

1.)sfs_boot_handler:
sets up 19 new loops in Puppy431 so up to 24 SFS's can be mounted.
identifies and creates symlinks in /root/my_links/sfs_mnt_home to either SFS4 or SFS3 depending on the kernel
removes any SFS links left from last work session
loads any SFS's linked into /root/my_links/sfs_boot_links

2.)sfs_linker
checks to make sure SFS chosen is proper type
mounts the SFS to /mnt/$SFSNAME
checks to make sure it mounted properly by looking for /mnt/$SFSNAME/usr
renames seamonkeys /root/.mozilla if the SFS contains /root/.mozilla
creates a symlink from each file in /mnt/$SFSNAME to /$FILEPATH
copies any special need files from /mnt/$SFSNAME/choice to /$FILEPATH
creates a text file, /root/.packages/$SFSNAME.files
adds an entry to /root/.packages/user-installed-packages
adds lines to etc/ld.so.conf listing the standard, i.e. /mnt/$SFSNAME/usr/bin, lib_paths in the SFS then runs ldconfig (included in .pet) to add them to lib_path
creates a symlink to the SFS in /root/my_links/sfs_loaded
makes any new fonts available with mkfonddir

3.)sfs_unlinker
unmounts the SFS
checks to make sure it unmounted properly, quits and gives error message if not, SFS will be unlinked at next bootup in this case.
calls sfs_remove.sh to delete all symlinks to the SFS
removes the lib_path lines from /etc/ld.so.conf
removes empty folders from all except /root, /tmp, /var, /mnt
fixmenus and restart jwm

4.)sfs_remove.sh
uses code from puppy package manager to remove the symlinks listed in /root/.packages/$SFSNAME.files

jrb

#34 Post by jrb »

I have uploaded SFS_Linker-431bk-1.1.pet

This one creates a new loop if needed. I have had up to 30 SFS's installed at once. It creates new loops when you want to simply mount an SFS as well. I have had up to 50 SFS's mounted at one time. Doesn't seem to be any limit although common sense says there must be. :wink: Does away with having to put

Code: Select all

max_loop=28
in the config file or kernel line. Just uninstall 1.0 (if installed), install 1.1, reboot and use.

technosaurus

#35 Post by technosaurus »

I think the kernel may be limited to 255 loops unless patched. Maybe this has changed though?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

jrb

#36 Post by jrb »

I have uploaded SFS_Linker-no_def-1.1.pet which does not have modified /usr/local/defaultprograms for people who wish to have SFS_Linking without changing the desktop icon or MIME-type behavior.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Suggestion

#37 Post by Béèm »

I just discovered SFS file linker and found it useful.
I have following suggestion:
When a sfs is loaded, it would be nice that in the file list in rox this is indicated somehow.
f.e. by another icon in the list or by another color of the file name.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

clarf

#38 Post by clarf »

technosaurus wrote:I think the kernel may be limited to 255 loops unless patched. Maybe this has changed though?
You are right technosaurus, the default value for Puppy kernel is a limit of 7 loop devices, that can be changed in boot as jrb says up to 255. The total limit for kernel without any patch is 255 loops.

I Don`t know if Barry updated the configuration made to recent kernels and changed the default "7" value.

jrb

#39 Post by jrb »

Beem wrote:When a sfs is loaded, it would be nice that in the file list in rox this is indicated somehow.
Hi Beem, Just tried out dpup-beta5. Very Nice! In my limited testing (5 sfs's) SFS_Linker1.1-no-def worked very well although the My_Links folder on the desktop looks pretty lonely.

If you open the My_Links folder and then the sfs_loaded folder you will see a list of all the sfs's that are presently loaded (by SFS_Linker, not by boot manager). You can unload them from here as well.

jrb

#40 Post by jrb »

clarf wrote:the default value for Puppy kernel is a limit of 7 loop devices
I have just tried SFS_Linker-431bk-1.1 with pup-431-k2.6.21.7-scsi-intel_modems_1.iso.
Sadly I have not been able to get past the 7 loop barrier. :(

I have tried the maxloop=28 entry in the kernel line to no avail. Also I tried an entry in /etc/modeprobe.conf with no success.

If anyone has an idea how to get past this 7 loop barrier please let me know.

Oh well, even 7 file mount points isn't too bad. Just have to do more unmounting. :wink:

Update: I have just tried the above puppy on my work computer I mounted a quick 20 sfs's and no problems with the 7 loop barrier. Must be something happening with my home computer - more detective work. :?
Last edited by jrb on Fri 04 Dec 2009, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#41 Post by Béèm »

jrb wrote:
Beem wrote:When a sfs is loaded, it would be nice that in the file list in rox this is indicated somehow.
Hi Beem, Just tried out dpup-beta5. Very Nice! In my limited testing (5 sfs's) SFS_Linker1.1-no-def worked very well although the My_Links folder on the desktop looks pretty lonely.

If you open the My_Links folder and then the sfs_loaded folder you will see a list of all the sfs's that are presently loaded (by SFS_Linker, not by boot manager). You can unload them from here as well.
Thanks fot the info.
But in the dpup beta 5 if I load a sfs from mount/home, it doesn't appear in the sfs_loaded folder.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

jrb

#42 Post by jrb »

Beem,
Not sure what's happening with your setup. I tried it in dpup-beta5 and it worked OK for me.