Puppy 4.3 Final -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
jakfish

#31 Post by jakfish »

What is pup-430.isoTEMP? Time-wise, it appears to be the latest upload.

Thanks,
Jake

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

Puppy 4.3 'small' running on an Asus Netbook with xaraLX sfs

Very pleased at how easy this was to install
and get online :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#33 Post by Lobster »

What is pup-430.isoTEMP?
I'm going to rebuild and re-upload it, without the 537 modules.
Jake, could be a rebuild from Barry :)

http://www.puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01097
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Caneri

#34 Post by Caneri »

Last edited by Caneri on Fri 18 Sep 2009, 17:28, edited 3 times in total.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

jakfish

#35 Post by jakfish »

Lobster, that makes sense. I'll download it and try it out.

Jake

prehistoric

What's with Sylpheed on 4.3?

#36 Post by prehistoric »

This is not part of the original build of 4.3, but it may point to a problem there.

I'm currently testing 4.3 small ISO, with generally good results.

I succeeded in installing Firefox 3.5, (then upgrading to 3.5.3,) and Adobe Flash player 10.0.22.87 then moving my existing .mozilla directory to the new system without problems.

When I tried installing Sylpheed 2.4.7 and moving my mail, there were a couple anomalies: no menu entry for Sylpheed appeared; attempting to open any mail with an attached picture results in a crash. The error message shows an invalid pointer which turned up in glibc.so.6. Could this be a problem with the installer (Puppy Package Manager)? Sylpheed 2.4.7 worked fine with 4.25.

I've attached the gzipped error output. Running Sylpheed --debug gave more information about Sylpheed, but no more clues about the crash.
Attachments
sylpheedcrash.txt.gz
error output from sylpheed 2.4.7 invoked from command line in 4.3 small ISO
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 784 times
Last edited by prehistoric on Fri 18 Sep 2009, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

cichlasoma

#37 Post by cichlasoma »

BarryK wrote:I never got around to implementing a boot menu for USB Flash install.

You have to edit syslinux.cfg (or extlinux.conf) on the Flash drive.
Anyway, 4.21 does offer the boot menu when booting from a USB flash disk...

8-bit

#38 Post by 8-bit »

Putting this here so it can be seen by Barry!
I got to thinking that my booting problem with Puppy v43 SCSI with the new kernel could be just SCSI driver related.
So I pulled out the TekRam SCSI card and Put in an Adaptec SCSi card.
I then booted from the Live CD so as not to mess things up and found that I had no more lockup.
I was able to boot to the desktop just fine.
So my entire problem was with lockup was the dc395x.ko driver.
If you dump that driver, all should be fine.
Either that or see if it has been updated.
Matter of fact, I am writing this from a frugal install of Puppy v43 SCSI with the new kernel!
Life is good.
:-) :-)

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: What's with Sylpheed on 4.3?

#39 Post by BarryK »

prehistoric wrote:I succeeded in installing Firefox 3.5, (then upgrading to 3.5.3,) and Adobe Flash player 10.0.22.87 then moving my existing .mozilla directory to the new system without problems.
Going backwards? 4.3 has the latest Flash player.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

prehistoric

more on 4.3 packages

#40 Post by prehistoric »

I'm still running 4.3 small ISO using a frugal install to /dev/sda3, this is a SSD which I've told the universal installer is a CF in an IDE adapter. The boot times are very fast.

I've installed several packages. I had no problem with the Firefox 3.5 pet or the Adobe flash player 10.0.22.87 pet. Since these had worked on my 4.25 installation, I was able to use the .mozilla directory from that previous system after they were installed.

When I installed the Sylpheed 2.4.7 pet, there were two anomalies I noticed with the new PPM: although bogofilter was identified as a dependency it was not automatically installed; I installed this manually without problems; there was no menu entry for Sylpheed. I later installed aspell, from the Puppy 3 repository, to use for spell checking through the "prehistoric hack" of redefining the external editor. This works without problems.

I just installed the gimp 2.4 rc3 pet, which also works. The menu entry appeared without problems. I had no trouble associating files of type xcf with it so it is opened automatically.

At this point I suspect there is something in the sylpheed 2.4.7 pet which the latest PPM has trouble handling.

Except for the network problem, there are no show stoppers on this machine. More later, when I've tried 4.3 on others in my collection.

@BarryK re: flash player

You're too fast for me. I've been replacing old flash players so long I got in the habit. It now works fine without my up/down grade.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#41 Post by BarryK »

The file 'pup-430.iso' has been re-uploaded. This fixes the problem with the 537 modules, that caused depmod to crash. My blog report:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01098

Now of course, the warning:
If have already been using 4.3, boot the latest with "puppy pfix=ram" then get rid of old files left behind on the hard drive, that is 'pup-430.sfs' and 'zp430305.sfs'.

If you have already got into using Woof, see my blog report:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01099
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

panzerpuppy

#42 Post by panzerpuppy »

@nubc: Current YouTube Flash videos use the MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) codec.
The GXine/FFmpeg combo in Puppy 4.3 can't play these videos.

What a pity :(

H.264 and VC-1 are the most used codecs on the web

* H.264 (a.k.a. AVCHD or MPEG-4 AVC) is used for YouTube videos
* VC-1 (a.k.a. WMV9 HD) is used for downloadable videos / trailers)

prehistoric

4.3 final reupload works

#43 Post by prehistoric »

I've just installed the re-uploaded 4.3 final ISO (the large one). The network wizard problem reported above is gone. I'm using the same wireless network I had trouble with before to post this.

I'll continue to move things to this system and report any changes to my previous bug reports.

sneekylinux

puppy 4.3

#44 Post by sneekylinux »

hey chaps,been playing about for a little while,but when trying to install stuff from the ppm,it downloads and installs,but get no menu entries.
which is a bit of a bummer...

prehistoric

PPM and menu entries

#45 Post by prehistoric »

I just found a clue about the missing menu entries on pet packages installed in 4.3 with the latest PPM. When I installed gimp 2.4.0rc3.pet downloaded directly from ibiblio there was no menu entry. When I clicked on a local file of the same pet there was no report it was already installed, and the menu entry appeared as expected. In the previous case, where there was no menu entry for Sylpheed, I had also downloaded from ibiblio using the PPM interface. Downloading and installing by clicking on a local pet file did solve the missing menu entry problem.

Alas, the problem of Sylpheed crashing whenever I attempt to view a message with a picture or html attachment remains.

sneekylinux

#46 Post by sneekylinux »

will give that a try before the next video,ta mate

Guest34

#47 Post by Guest34 »

Hello,

It seems if I choose to create the savefile on a hdd partition, at next boot it will copy the pup-430.sfs file from the cdrom to the same partition, for faster booting. But it will not copy the zp430305.sfs file, and won't read it from the cdrom either, so no more modules, no more network. If I copy it manually all starts working again.

prehistoric

that zp430305.sfs file

#48 Post by prehistoric »

@ guest34

From the description you give, I'm assuming you have been booting off the CD, not installing Puppy to the hard drive. That second sfs file has not been standard in recent Puppies, so it won't be copied either by the shutdown script or the universal installer.

Barry will probably do away with the separate file at some point where the issues behind this are sorted out. In the past, we had a zdrv.sfs file that went away in later versions.

kjoe

Remaster Puppy live CD not working any more

#49 Post by kjoe »

Hello,

I am running puppy in frugal mode. As usual, after installing some pet-packages I tried to rebuild a new pup-430.sfs. But this time I was unable to do so. After haven chosen the ramdisk as the working area, puppy next asked for the CD/DVD drive. I have 2 drives (/dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1; both can be accessed), but only my DVD drive (/dev/sr0) showed up in the dialog box. When I clicked on the yes button the script stopped immediately.

When I've tested Puppy 4.3 beta 3, everything worked fine. I think, the remasterpup2 scripts in 4.3. beta 3 and 4.3 final are identical. So there must be another reason...

By the way, the remaster script once offered to choose between the CD drive or a directory that kept the puppy files. I miss this feature as I always have to use a CD to remaster puppy.

kjoe

tlchost

No Desktop on Boot

#50 Post by tlchost »

k2.6.21.7 burned to usb bootable

Desktop does not appear on bootup.....need to enter xwin at prompt. In lieu of fix, what can I do to beat Puppy into submission to bring desktop up automatically.

Thanks

Thom