Puppy 4.3 Final -- bug reports and suggestions

Please post any bugs you have found
clarf

Re: Missing programs and internet connection

#190 Post by clarf »

cichlasoma wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:Yes I fixed my network connection problem by reinstalling.
I'm using the boot from cd method and had Puppy 4.2.1 previously installed as a pupsave file and it didn't like it even after renaming it.
Maybe it's the same for you.I saved a copy of my old 421 file to a flash disc then deleted what was on the hdd,reinstalled 430 and it detects the network card and saves the settings now.
It seems to be similar to one of my problems with 4.30 I've reported above - when I boot from CD and there's just only pupsave-xxx.2fs file on the hard disk, Puppy loads the saved state and finds network devices. Yet, on shutdown, it saves the pup-430.sfs file to hard disk and on the next boot doesn't load any network driver modules and finds no network devices. Deleting the file again helps.
Do you successfully boot from CD repetedly now?
I had the same problem in my laptop. :cry: Everything worked fine in live CD Boot. Then I created a pupsave and reboot, but Puppy saved pup-430.sfs file on hard disk at second boot (I really hate this behavior, I don't have enough free space for each Puppy in my HD, I always use pupsave and nothing elese), and then I lost network driver modules, lost CPU Frequency scaling modules and lost the battery indicator in Task Bar. I had the same problem even in successive boots.

I could fix it just copying the zp430305.sfs file in the same partition where Puppy previously saved the pup-430.sfs file, It's seems a stupid bug. When Puppy boot and find a pupsave it "always" copy pup-430.sfs but not p430305.sfs in the same pupsave's path, then doesn't search further for zp430305.sfs in media devices and just doesn't load any driver.

Hope you could fix your problem cichlasoma, I'm sure you have to copy zp430305.sfs to HD. Please try and feedback.

Greetings,
clarf

ARAN

#191 Post by ARAN »

The Package Git is broken especially "git pull" dont work !

I was just at the git irc chanell and asked what could be the problem and this was here the answer.
hello to all. can somebody tell me how to resolve this ugly problem here ?/usr/libexec/git-core/git-pull: line 204: exec: git-merge: not found
git: 'pull' is not a git-command. See 'git --help'.

Did you mean this?
pull

this here are all files in git-core folder. could it be that something is missed ?
http://pastebin.com/m23ca0d9e
Well, that error message really looks like some busted git installation.

Aw... Seems like they stripped out all direct executables for builtin commands, but didn't note that some scripts need the direct executables for those...

runtt21

#192 Post by runtt21 »

clarf I can confirm that when running with a pup-save file that you need to copy the zp430305.sfs and the pup-430.sfs or you will lose your modules. I have it set up with a pup-save on a usb flash drive with the pup-430.sfs and with out the zp.sfs I had the same problems. With the zp.sfs everything is working fine.

ttuuxxx

#193 Post by ttuuxxx »

ARAN wrote:The Package Git is broken especially "git pull" dont work !

I was just at the git irc chanell and asked what could be the problem and this was here the answer.
hello to all. can somebody tell me how to resolve this ugly problem here ?/usr/libexec/git-core/git-pull: line 204: exec: git-merge: not found
git: 'pull' is not a git-command. See 'git --help'.

Did you mean this?
pull

this here are all files in git-core folder. could it be that something is missed ?
http://pastebin.com/m23ca0d9e
Well, that error message really looks like some busted git installation.

Aw... Seems like they stripped out all direct executables for builtin commands, but didn't note that some scripts need the direct executables for those...
Puppy doesn't usually come with git, try this one
http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/pr ... 3-i386.pet
username:puppy
password:linux
you'll have to type it twice :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

rjbrewer

#194 Post by rjbrewer »

rjbrewer wrote:Have tried "simple remaster" of 430 small iso.
and full iso.

Cd boots fine, but when trying to use it to make a full install,
I get "Error 2, bad file or directory, when rebooting.

The remaster problem seems to be confined to 2.6.30.5 kernel.
Didn't have any problem with 430 2.6.21.7.

Edit:
Tried simple remaster with Ttuuxxxs' latest 430 2.6.30.5 and it had
no problem booting.....obviously not a kernel issue.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Max Headroom

Besides the Aforementioned Crashing Browsers & Copying RedLi

#195 Post by Max Headroom »

RedLining Blinky Monitor Applet, I was wunderin' when Dingo 4.3, was going on a Diet, Specifically Rationalizing Surplus X Media Players & Rippers, Txt Editors, implementing ttuuxxxs Cut Down Calculator, also I Vaguely Recall Barry K Suggesting a Lighter Weight GParted GUI... It'd be Great the Bug Fixed iso could be Finalized @ 99.5 Mb including All intel Modem Drivers. Thanx Barry & Co. :)

technosaurus

#196 Post by technosaurus »

RE: autocopy pup....sfs - would it be better to have the install script specify the locations of pupXXX.sfs, zdrv, other sfs files as a boot parameter when it writes the grub menu.lst?

These would be parameters you could change at boot as well.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

ttuuxxx

Re: Besides the Aforementioned Crashing Browsers & Copying RedLi

#197 Post by ttuuxxx »

Max Headroom wrote:RedLining Blinky Monitor Applet, I was wunderin' when Dingo 4.3, was going on a Diet, Specifically Rationalizing Surplus X Media Players & Rippers, Txt Editors, implementing ttuuxxxs Cut Down Calculator, also I Vaguely Recall Barry K Suggesting a Lighter Weight GParted GUI... It'd be Great the Bug Fixed iso could be Finalized @ 99.5 Mb including All intel Modem Drivers. Thanx Barry & Co. :)
Hi max, if all those changes were made it wouls save around 1MB compressed, the large iso has 29MB of drivers compressed. I don't think a 99.5 MB full driver release would be possible.
What it should do is run the wizards and only copy the drivers needed , kind of like printing does. Then it wouldn't matter on the size of iso, where it could always retrieve the extra drivers when/if need-be from cd
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Iguleder

#198 Post by Iguleder »

Anoter bug: the mouse wizard says that my PS/2 mouse is USB.

jeros

cannot enter X

#199 Post by jeros »

i try install Puppy430 with frugal on ext2 partition as usual, edit Grub menu.lst and boot my machine, end up with console, when i type "xwin" it back to previous stage. XorgWizard result okay, detect the dispaly well.
My machine okay with older Puppy like 421, 412, and 411.
Any suggestion?
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
NVIDIA G-Force 6100
LG L177WSB 17" Wide

r__hughes

[SOLVED] Pup430 DVD drive mounting & autoplay

#200 Post by r__hughes »

Running Pup430 from a bootable USB flashdrive

On a Dell Latitude D610 Laptop with combo CD/DVD read/writer a data DVD opens up gxine & tries to autoplay - I have to mount it by a right-click/Run-Pmount) :(. Plays normal DVDs beautifully :)
DVD drive is a TSSTcorp CDRWDVD (Seagate) Rev-DE09 accessed as sr0

On a Dell Dimension 2400 PC with combo CD/DVD read/writer just the opposite - opens all DVDs as data disks :? - I need 'goggles' dvd player to play a normal DVD.
DVD drive is NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD Rev-103D accessed as sr1 (there is another CD-RW accessed as sr0)

--------------------------------------------------------
edited 04oct2009
The inconsistency has been resolved - when the Dimension 2400 PC's NEC DVD/CD-RW and the other CD-RW were switched to master & slave respectively - the DVD was defined as sr0 and the /dev/dvd link was pointed at sr0. Now the PC plays DVDs via gxine by left-clicking the sr0 icon, and like the Laptop, needs a right-click/pmount to read a data DVDs. This I can live with :)
Last edited by r__hughes on Sun 04 Oct 2009, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

cichlasoma

Re: Missing programs and internet connection

#201 Post by cichlasoma »

clarf wrote: Hope you could fix your problem cichlasoma, I'm sure you have to copy zp430305.sfs to HD.
I do believe you. I apologize for not trying the solution yet, but normally I don't boot from CD (I've experimented mainly with Flash disk and hard drive frugal installations) and even more importantly - I managed to connect wifi in 4.21 via Windows driver wrapper on my Asus EEE PC, so I use 4.21, at least as my "main Puppy").
I'll try later and report just for "scholastic" purposes.

WN2A

Weird CD Boot/ pupsave Problem

#202 Post by WN2A »

Weird pupsave on USB problem:

Hello All:
Firstly, the new apps and everything looks great to me on Puppy 430 and ttuuxx's 4.3.1.
I am trying to use pup-430.iso (and its varients), booting off the CD and using
a pupsave.2fs file on a 16G USB Patriot XT Flash Drive. (Formatted fat32)

But what is weird is that unlike 4.1.2 k2.6.25.16 (which works universally great
with all my systems), 430,etc doesn't find the pupsave.2fs on the older ones
(but does work with the newer one for some reason).

Older: Dell XPS R400 (400MHz P2, 384Meg RAM; USB 1.1 ?)
Sony Vaio PCG-932A 600MHz P3 700MHz 125M RAM USB 1.1
(Does not work on above systems)
New: HP PC P4 2.8GHz 775M RAM USB 2.0
(Works OK, finds pupsave.2fs)

Thus far same results for all: (pupsave only works on new)
pup-430.iso
pup-430-small.iso
pup-430-k2.6.25.16.iso
and:
puppies-431.1-main-Xserver.iso

But all machines (new or old) work with puppy 4.1.2 k2.6.25.16!

Any Ideas?
Thanks!--WN2A
Last edited by WN2A on Mon 28 Sep 2009, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
CWLab : Amateur Radio CW Program Moving to GNU/Linux!
[url]http://www.qsl.net/wn2a[/url]

Koshpeli

Won't shut down

#203 Post by Koshpeli »

Had 4.2.1 on my Compaq Presario R4000 booting off the Live CD. When I downloaded 4.3, I changed my pupsave file as instructed. Booted 4.3 off the D: drive. Everything loaded up fine. But when I hit the shutdown option in the Menu, it did nothing. Same problem with the shutdown option on the top tool tray. Only way to power down was to hold the power button key on the computer, which just killed power, didn't start the script i.e. didn't save my settings.

DaveS

Re: Won't shut down

#204 Post by DaveS »

Koshpeli wrote:Had 4.2.1 on my Compaq Presario R4000 booting off the Live CD. When I downloaded 4.3, I changed my pupsave file as instructed. Booted 4.3 off the D: drive. Everything loaded up fine. But when I hit the shutdown option in the Menu, it did nothing. Same problem with the shutdown option on the top tool tray. Only way to power down was to hold the power button key on the computer, which just killed power, didn't start the script i.e. didn't save my settings.
The problem here is the shutdown script that came with your old pupsave file. All you need to do is copy the two files 'wmpoweroff' and 'wmreboot' from /usr/bin to /usr/X11R7/bin. Copy them, dont move them.
If you ever find you cannot shutdown via the menu, just open a terminal window, type wmpoweroff and hit the enter key.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

gray

depmod

#205 Post by gray »

somethin funny with depmod.

When trying to activate the virtualbox drivers in puppy 4.3 the depmod command did not work. I had to use depmod-FULL.

Begs the question - what other drivers are not being activated by depmod ?

cichlasoma

#206 Post by cichlasoma »

I booted 4.3 from USB FD KingstoneDataTraveller 20. Later I plugged in an USB FD Kingstone DT 101 II (both 8 GB). Puppy was not able to mount both and when I drew the second one out, it gave me no access anymore to the first one (it booted from). :-)

Koshpeli

Re: Won't shut down

#207 Post by Koshpeli »

DaveS wrote:
Koshpeli wrote:Had 4.2.1 on my Compaq Presario R4000 booting off the Live CD. When I downloaded 4.3, I changed my pupsave file as instructed. Booted 4.3 off the D: drive. Everything loaded up fine. But when I hit the shutdown option in the Menu, it did nothing. Same problem with the shutdown option on the top tool tray. Only way to power down was to hold the power button key on the computer, which just killed power, didn't start the script i.e. didn't save my settings.
The problem here is the shutdown script that came with your old pupsave file. All you need to do is copy the two files 'wmpoweroff' and 'wmreboot' from /usr/bin to /usr/X11R7/bin. Copy them, dont move them.
If you ever find you cannot shutdown via the menu, just open a terminal window, type wmpoweroff and hit the enter key.
Cool thanks. Missed that notice and the command for shutting off somehow.

dogone

430 Xorg/X related instability

#208 Post by dogone »

I'm observing a particular and fatal instability in 430, both 2.6.31.5 "small" (am presently testing main) and 2.6.25.16. The problem seems related to Xorg and window manipulation over time in a given session. It tends not to occur during sessions in which there's little or no window creation, destruction, manipulation, etc. I otherwise see no correlation to system loading or memory use.

Eventually, during a busy X session, X stops responding. Mouse clicks are ignored and menus do not appear. One can still switch to another terminal (CTRL-ALT-Fx) or exit Xorg (CTR-ALT-Backspace). Back at the prompt, Puppy appears alive and well. TOP reports no unusual loading and FREE reports nominal memory use. Attempts to restart X result in a black screen and the X-windows "X" cursor. CTRL-ALT-Backspace returns one to the prompt. Xorgwizard will still run normally but fails to start X. At that point one has no option but to "reboot".

I have observed this problem with 430 on two desktop machines - one 1999 Intel-based with 512MB and one 2004 AMD-based with 2GB. I do not experience the problem under 425, earlier betas nor under any earlier Puppy or derivative. It appears new and unique to 430 final and it's "specials" (though I have not tested the 2.6.21.x release).

UPDATE: In the event of the forced reboot described above, Puppy displays the expected "Saving changes..." message upon leaving X, However it often stops there and fails to execute the reboot. Changes are correctly saved but the system must be hard reset.

If you have experienced any such problem under 430 or earlier, please post the details. Thanks.
Last edited by dogone on Wed 30 Sep 2009, 13:38, edited 2 times in total.

aarf

Re: aarf: that's standard behavior and not a bug.

#209 Post by aarf »

dio444 wrote:That's standard behavior for cut-paste from a terminal in X. But there's one thing you didn't know. The middle mouse button can be simulated on a 2-button pointing device with a "chord click" of both buttons at once.

Tom
thanks Tom, i can now copy by first highlighting the text in rxvt and then using two fingers pushing both ends of the touchpad click bar simultaneously to paste. 8)