Network Config fail. Eth0 successful but no net. IP = APIPA

Using applications, configuring, problems
inkydinky

Network Config fail. Eth0 successful but no net. IP = APIPA

#1 Post by inkydinky »

I recently swapped motherboards for my configuration of Puppy. After rebooting I can't connect to the net. I know that the network card works as I can boot up with a DSL livecd and quickly connect to the net.
After I run the network connection wizard and run ifconfig I get an APIPA address of 169.254.xxx.xxx Statically assigning the ip doesn't get me anywhere.
I *think* I'm running puppy 4.2.1 (although my screen and icons don't match what is on the official release page and I'm away from my machine.)
The network card is labelled a linksys but is really an ADMtek. Model, NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100. Puppy is using the tulip driver.
I've also tried using the original Puppy live cd but it retrieves APIPA addresses only as well.

Any help getting this card back up and working is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

Statically assigning the ip doesn't get me anywhere
So I assume Puppy is recognising a network, indicating the driver is OK?

Common problem, can ping but not connect to the web....

In the wizard there is an advanced settings, where you can enter your router default gateway IP address, something like 192.168.1.1
a suitable PC IP address e.g. 192.168.1.3 [anynumber here up to 254]
subnet mask 255.255.255.0

and importantly DNS [ISP assigned Nameservers - 2 off]

If you don't know your DNS try 4.2.2.2

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=337887

or try this

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=336340

Aitch :)

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

I assume that to get an IP address you tried the button: Auto DHCP ?

inkydinky

#4 Post by inkydinky »

sunburnt wrote:I assume that to get an IP address you tried the button: Auto DHCP ?
Yep tried that.

Aitch, I can't even ping anywhere. I get nothing :(
I tried statically setting the ip and mask and gateway (1923.168.0.2 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.0.1 ) and that didn't work either. WHen I ping I get "unreachable host" and when I try seamonkey I get "Page load error : address not found "

Aitch

#5 Post by Aitch »

Hi

You say you can connect using DSL, if that is LiveCD, then maybe compare network settings with that and puppy

Also compare drivers for your network card

this shows tulip driver as correct

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showp ... product/52

However if when pinging you get

Code: Select all

ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
Then there invariably is a driver problem

Try turning off the router for 10secs and switch back on to force a reset, then reboot puppy and run the network wizard again - twice in succession, don't ask why, I've just found a slight timing thing sometimes cured

test the eth0 interface, then if OK, run dhcp, save, close wizard, then do it again

then ping your router [192.168.1.1? or 2.1?] first, and post result and from console ifconfig result - see if you still get a 169

You could also try my earlier instructions for advanced settings after restarting the router

for some reason 4.2.1 seems more prone to this, so you could try 4.3, just out...

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01096

Aitch :)

inkydinky

#6 Post by inkydinky »

Well I didn't do anything (except maybe swap keybaords) and reboot and then I reconfigured it and used "autodhcp" and there were no problems. Well I take that back it did seem slow at first and then it all worked better after a reboot. Don't know what it was but thanks for all the help.

Ummmm I take that all back. It worked once but now again it doesn't work. I tried statically setting the ip and no dice. restarted puppy several times and still no luck. Any other ideas? I think I'm at the point where I start the slow painful process of moving things via usb drives and then wipe and restart.